Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411516 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 08:17:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOKHLOS A very disgruntled group of people [Dev Blog]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: OKHLOS A very disgruntled group of people [Dev Blog]  (Read 83093 times)
roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: March 06, 2014, 10:39:02 AM »

NESTED PREFABS

Yes, I know, inception is putting an idea in the head of someone and not precisely recursion, but nowadays is a recursion synonym. And the other option was naming this post "Yo dawg, I heard you like prefabs".

(All THE IMAGES ARE SCALED DOWN. CLICK THEM TO OPEN THEM IN A NEW WINDOW)

Well, this week we are going to talk about a problem that, although we finally managed to solve,  had us trying lots of different solutions and has given us many head aches, a problem named Nested Prefabs.

Unity's prefabs are instantiable objects. The problem is that these objects can't be placed inside other objects, without losing the reference to the original object. It would be like a Flash MovieClip, but the main difference is that the MovieClip allows children to maintain their original reference.

Why did this bother us so much? Well, each stage in Okhlos, is composed by four chunks. Each chunk is, in turn, composed of different buildings. And each building is composed of different props and structures.

CHUNKS

This is a chunk. The main component of the chunks are buildings, but they can also have other elements like hazards, enemies, props, etc., and some of these can be completely randomized.

BUILDINGS

The buildings are composed of a main structure and different props, also some other decorations which may be sprites or the like.

PROPS

Props are the weakest destructible elements. They usually have a small structure and some sprites. The following image will perhaps better illustrate how these things, chunks, buildings and props, fit together.

As you can image by now, when we add this hierarchy to the prefab's problem you end up with three o four levels of lost references for each chunk or building. At first we simply tried to deal with this without resorting to any kind of nesting of prefabs, but it came at a high price. Basically, we had to redo every chunk and building a couple of times.What we do now, is use a script we named Building Holder. That script holds a reference to a prefab, and instantiates it on runtime.

This reference points to an object of GameObject type, thus it can be either a GameObject in the scene or a prefab. What we found out when we started using this was that if the reference pointed to itself, when we hit apply, it stored a reference to the Game Object in the scene, not to the actual prefab.You can see it (kinda) more clearly here:

The green line shows how the reference points to the Project view (to the actual prefab). The red line shows the object in the Hierarchy view (which is the scene view, what we don't want to happen). And the blue lines show the objects' structure (chunk, building, prop).To set the reference point to actual prefab and not  the instance is fundamental to be able to modify a building without having to modify its instance in each chunk (or to put it in other words, to be able to modify a building once instead of gazillion times) but luckily we now how to do it. Finally, a few screenshots showing some chunks together:

And closing up this week, a tree destruction .gif!

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #101 on: March 06, 2014, 02:23:14 PM »

Loving the updates.
The destroyed buildings look good but are too flat. Is it possible to emulate some 'still standing walls' or objects inside the buildings that would cause some of the wreckage to be raised?

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: March 06, 2014, 02:37:48 PM »

Loving the updates.
The destroyed buildings look good but are too flat. Is it possible to emulate some 'still standing walls' or objects inside the buildings that would cause some of the wreckage to be raised?

Actually, its posible. We are already using a collider in order to walk above the ruins.

A very good suggestion! I will try it!
Thanks!

Sundrop
Level 1

Grandma cooks best!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: March 09, 2014, 09:19:39 AM »

Wow, this looks really good! The amount of detail you go into for the different aspects of the game is astounding!

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #104 on: March 13, 2014, 10:14:09 AM »

Pimp my mob size

Hello there! Another week, another update*.

This time, we talk about the mob-size indicator, whom you may remember from a few weeks back, when we talked about some of the changes in the HUD.

The HUD , by the way, is still undergoing dramatic changes. Not everything ended up looking particularly pretty, but we are focusing on usability before beauty. We can always add some lens flare over the sprites in order to give them the J. J. Abrahams cool vibe later.

Back to the mob-size indicator.  We were reviewing the latest version I had designed when Sebastian suggested that the image representing your mob switched dynamically, depending how many people you had.  We immediately thought that it was a terribly cool idea. We love putting random, dynamic things in our games (100 unique phrases for Gravity Fleet's main menu window, your welcome). So we embraced the idea, and put it to work.

Here are the first images we came up with, but it's very tempting to do a LOT of them:

Full disclaimer: After reaching 100 people, I ran out of ideas, and things started to get weird...

The guy from behind is doing the "Benedict Cumberbatch photobombing" maneuver.

I ran a 4 shorter for this to be a cool reference.

The mob is going to give this guy the Cacofonix-treatment in any moment.
We are kinda obvious sometimes

I haven't done the majority of the kings yet, so picture this but with a few more crowns.

Overcrowded! 

Well, that's it for this week! Stay tuned  for next week's update! 

*Where available

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: March 19, 2014, 08:52:44 AM »

Hi there!

This week we decided to try something different. Not only to give a breath of fresh air but also because we don't know how many people will be reading the blog this week, that the GDC is taking place. So, we thought of making a compilation of all the amazing "lets play" of Okhlos there have been so far.

We haven't made an oficial trailer yet, so this seemed like a good opportunity to show you a little bit of in-game footage. Of course, all of these videos were captured from a very early version of Okhlos (from version 0.2.x to be accurate), and you will see there still is a lot of work to be done. But even so, if you are one of those following us that haven't seen the game in motion yet, here is your chance!

Having said that, in no particular order, here they are:

MegaPiemanPHD

@megapiemanPHD 

Gaming Faster Than Light

@GamingFTL 

8BitNinja
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ8RJgP96KA
@The8BitNinja 

The Mr. Dudepuppet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCij6xBImJQ
@dudepuppet 

And last but not least,
Kotaku
http://kotaku.com/imagine-pikmin-but-with-greek-philosophers-1510025170
@Papapishu

ARRD-ART
« Reply #106 on: March 19, 2014, 02:07:31 PM »

Wow, great stuff! Love the art style and the whimsical nature of the whole thing.
TheIndieForge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #107 on: March 19, 2014, 03:36:29 PM »

Man this is so cool. I absolutely adore the art style!

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: March 19, 2014, 08:11:10 PM »

Awesome looking project, looks like a lot of fun Smiley Following for sure.

Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: March 23, 2014, 09:03:01 AM »

I literally LOL'd at the Kenny G shop music.

The game looks great!

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2014, 03:20:11 PM »

I've been looking more and more in to this game and I'm getting really excited about it. Is there any way I can donate or buy the game to help support you with development?

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2014, 10:08:40 PM »

In Okhlos we are constantly lobbying to get this hero called like he should be. It's Heracles, not Hercules.
Yes. Yes! YESS!!!

Following.
siplus
Level 0

working on something...

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 30, 2014, 04:58:42 AM »

This game looks so cool.
One tip tough;while watching the gameplay videos, the screen shaking (when yoor mob attacks something) makes me a little motion sick;
there should be an option to turn this off.

just keep making awesome stuff...
roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 03, 2014, 11:09:13 AM »

Ahoy there! 

These last weeks we've been working hardly (or hardly working) on the enemies of Okhlos.

A lot.Like, really a lot. 

One of the most enjoyable things in Okhlos is fighting enemies. Early on, we figured out that one of the cornerstones of the fun and variation in Okhlos is to have enemies with very different mechanics. So we started establishing which mechanics were interesting enough to explore. Besides that, we have to put the mechanics in context, so we have to do a lot of research to determine which enemies will appear, when will they appear, and keep them coherent with the rest of the whole. 

So we established 21 mechanics that we think are cool. But! Besides that, some of these mechanics can work with each other! So suddenly, we had a lot of new stuff that we didn't think of! Basically, we have 21 behavior archetypes and a lot of combinations to do. We still don't know how many enemies Okhlos will have. But I think that we'll have plenty of interesting challenges. 

So, besides the behavior, we have the sprite part (my part, the cool part). I'm actually making a lot of tests to see how they look. Trying different palettes and different sizes for the monsters. 

One of the things I did was remaking some of the old enemies.

Here you can see some of the progress. 

As you can see in the image above, the Prophetai and Hosioi have their eyes covered, which makes them darker and gritty, because of Nolan.
The Nemean lion found a stash of steroids.
Also, the Hosioi now share the size of the Prophetai, because the Prophetai now summon a different creature! 

Here are some enemies.

Here you can see:
-Some ideas for the Posidon's stage creatures.
-A warrior that protects himself with a shield, and a color variation
-Some satyrs. One of these is based  on this guy.
-Some centaurs. They will focus on the mob and trample them. 

Finally, I want to finish the post with some unjustified screenshots!
The Calydonian boar

The Nemean Lion

Some Hephaestus' machine

And the three of them together

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #114 on: April 03, 2014, 11:20:26 AM »

This game looks so cool.
One tip tough;while watching the gameplay videos, the screen shaking (when yoor mob attacks something) makes me a little motion sick;
there should be an option to turn this off.

Sure! The screen shake is not tunned yet. We are currently using the same animation for every shake. We might do that procedurally, that will help a lot to avoid unnecessary shakes.

If we cant put that together, we will definitely make the screen shake optional.

Thanks for the comment!

roketronz
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 03, 2014, 11:30:14 AM »

I've been looking more and more in to this game and I'm getting really excited about it. Is there any way I can donate or buy the game to help support you with development?

Thanks for the excitement! We are currently thinking in open pre-orders in some time!

I literally LOL'd at the Kenny G shop music.

The game looks great!

Thanks! That's a silly joke for placeholder music. I really think the actual music will be up to the expectations!

Also, thanks everybody for the amazing comments! They mean a lot for us!

Gueib
Level 1

don't be jealous of my boogie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 03, 2014, 12:17:01 PM »

Useless post to follow this thread.

This game looks incredible, btw.
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: April 03, 2014, 01:58:45 PM »

Great concept + looking super already. Keep it up!

Sly
Level 0

Pug Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #118 on: April 03, 2014, 05:47:44 PM »

Thanks for the excitement! We are currently thinking in open pre-orders in some time!
Awesome, I'll be sure to be keeping my eyes out. Also the new game update with remaking some of the old enemies, everything looks great! Good work on that.

ryansumo
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: April 03, 2014, 06:36:21 PM »

I've heard some other devs saying that using the Humble Store made pre-roders very convenient for them, maybe something you can look into.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic