Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411493 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 04:59:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames you can't remember the names of
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 96
Print
Author Topic: Games you can't remember the names of  (Read 386197 times)
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: March 09, 2015, 01:55:51 PM »

I played this game as a kid and I now can't find any information about it anywhere! This is driving me nuts!

• The time period was mid-90's, I played it on a display setup for some game system at Circuit City
  • It was an RTS-format iso 2d game in a (humorous?) medieval setting
  • There may have been demons
  • After beating a level I witnessed a cutscene where a peasant announced that I had built a "thriving settlement" on the "shinto plains" I remember vividly because that was the first time I'd ever heard the word 'thriving'

Unbroken: A Souls-inspired mobile hack n' slash
Devlog
Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1421 on: March 09, 2015, 02:04:43 PM »

stronghold or stronghold crusader?

johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: March 09, 2015, 02:46:01 PM »

nah definitely before Stronghold, and it was played with a gamepad so I don't think it was a PC game

*EDIT: NOT necessarily before stronghold, I just learned stronghold came out in 1993, not 2001 like I thought  Facepalm
**SECOND EDIT: Probably was not an RTS, now that I look at the list of console RTS games. I think the gameplay involved defending a town against waves of enemies, though
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 02:55:58 PM by johnguydude » Logged

Devlog
valrus
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: March 10, 2015, 01:49:25 AM »

I played this game as a kid and I now can't find any information about it anywhere! This is driving me nuts!

• The time period was mid-90's, I played it on a display setup for some game system at Circuit City
  • It was an RTS-format iso 2d game in a (humorous?) medieval setting
  • There may have been demons
  • After beating a level I witnessed a cutscene where a peasant announced that I had built a "thriving settlement" on the "shinto plains" I remember vividly because that was the first time I'd ever heard the word 'thriving'

That sounds like The Horde: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Horde_%28video_game%29.

EDIT: Yup, definitely The Horde:

« Last Edit: March 10, 2015, 01:59:12 AM by valrus » Logged
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: March 10, 2015, 02:42:25 AM »

just for the record, the 1993 stronghold is a completely different game from the 2001 one. Its a d&d themed game by SSI.
johnguydude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1425 on: March 10, 2015, 05:23:28 AM »

YES! Thank you! I was seriously starting to think I had just dreamed it!

just for the record, the 1993 stronghold is a completely different game from the 2001 one. Its a d&d themed game by SSI.

Good catch! I thought the castle-building one seemed too advanced for '93. So confusing

Devlog
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1426 on: March 10, 2015, 06:28:09 PM »

Yes, the exact one.  Thank you! I actually found it from jayisgames just a minute before you posted. I wasn't convinced I was going to be able to find it off of jayisgames.

This game is outstanding! I've been playing this for about 1h30 straight, few pixels, simple gameplay, but very addictive! Smiley

The One Fork Restaurant DX : DevLog - Play current beta version
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: March 11, 2015, 03:40:21 AM »

ya its a good one. a mobile port would be awesome.

ANYWAY, I'm looking for another PC freeware or shareware game I played in the early or mid 00s. It was a turn based strategy game where the main screen was an overhead view of a town divided into tiles, each representing 1 building (iirc). The goal was to control as much of the town as possible. The game had multiple sequels. Either some or all of them used prerendered 3D graphics. It may have had "wars" in the title but im not sure.
Tobers
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1428 on: March 12, 2015, 01:36:18 AM »

@Silbereisen; I can't think of what you're remembering to save my life!

I've got one myself though, bugging me for a year...

I thought it was Lands of Lore 3, but no. Then I thought it was Soulreaver, nope. I remember it was first person, fantasy setting. It had 2 or 3 vertical hp/xp/mana bars in the upper left corner; I think red, blue and green. I believe you could use mana to jump higher/slow fall or something like that. It was on PC or MAYBE Playstation 1. I remember a rocky barren desert area specifically.

...and that's all I got.

Oh god make it stop.
Eggy
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1429 on: March 12, 2015, 09:20:31 AM »

The game I can't remember the name of that I am thinking about is what I think is a puzzle game.
During gameplay, the screen is split into two areas, with the left one having the things I'll be describing and the right one having a kind of HUD/status/whatever. In the left gameplay area there's water or lava at the bottom (depending on the mode; there's Puzzle and Action) with higher-than-they're-wide rhombus things (that are actually composed of two triangles with each one having a specific element/symbol) put on a non-movable stone triangle thing in the center of the left area, poking out of the water/lava. The goal is to clear the elements by putting 3 (or maybe 4) or more rhombus things with the same element together. In Puzzle mode you can take your time thinking about your next move, but in Action mode, where lava replaces water, the bottom-most rhombuses gradually heat up and then combust into pieces, requiring you to make your moves within a time limit. I've forgotten what's in the right gameplay area though.
I have a sketch pic here to show what I mean:

Oh yeah, and the hi-score part of the game has a black background with orange particle things. And the hi-scores look like they're put in a (probably kinda invisible) table of sorts, but I can't recall that correctly.
I hope you guys know what am I talking about and can provide me with an answer.
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1430 on: March 13, 2015, 06:32:57 AM »

@Silbereisen; I can't think of what you're remembering to save my life!

I've got one myself though, bugging me for a year...

I thought it was Lands of Lore 3, but no. Then I thought it was Soulreaver, nope. I remember it was first person, fantasy setting. It had 2 or 3 vertical hp/xp/mana bars in the upper left corner; I think red, blue and green. I believe you could use mana to jump higher/slow fall or something like that. It was on PC or MAYBE Playstation 1. I remember a rocky barren desert area specifically.

...and that's all I got.

Sounds like a game from the Elder Scrolls series.

Maybe Arena:

Or Daggerfall?

Alevice
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1431 on: March 13, 2015, 10:24:58 AM »

maybe kings field?

starsrift
Level 10

Apparently I am a ruiner of worlds. Ooops.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1432 on: March 13, 2015, 11:10:02 AM »

ya its a good one. a mobile port would be awesome.

ANYWAY, I'm looking for another PC freeware or shareware game I played in the early or mid 00s. It was a turn based strategy game where the main screen was an overhead view of a town divided into tiles, each representing 1 building (iirc). The goal was to control as much of the town as possible. The game had multiple sequels. Either some or all of them used prerendered 3D graphics. It may have had "wars" in the title but im not sure.

How did you conquer squares? In other words, what was the actual gameplay?
Gang Wars comes to mind (an early Digipen effort), but that doesn't quite strike me as correct.

"Vigorous writing is concise." - William Strunk, Jr.
As is coding.

I take life with a grain of salt.
And a slice of lime, plus a shot of tequila.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: March 13, 2015, 02:56:38 PM »

i can't remember unfortunately. on second thought im not even sure if the goal was to control the town.

i can't find anything on this gang wars game. can you give me a link to it?

btw, i forgot to mention something: either some or all of the games used standard windows interface elements.

EDIT: i think i got the game from some magazine disc so maybe i can find it by going through my "archive". but i threw a lot of them away recently so rip.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 05:57:44 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Cobralad
Cowardly Baby
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: March 14, 2015, 11:02:23 AM »

...warlords?
Praying Mantis
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: March 14, 2015, 05:42:23 PM »

Been playing this for the past few hours, it's a fun little time-waster. Fuck the Death boss though. How on earth are you supposed to beat that guy without grinding levels forever?
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: March 14, 2015, 06:34:08 PM »

...warlords?

nah, definitely not warlords. like i said it was a freeware or shareware game. it also had either a sci-fi or a modern day setting iirc (oops forgot to mention this). also when i say it used standard windows interface elements im talking about something like deadlock, except much more amateurish than that.

EDIT: it was definitely not dope wars btw. damn i think this might be too obscure.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 06:43:06 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1437 on: March 15, 2015, 11:19:47 AM »

If it's not dope wars, maybe one of its clone, such as drug wars underworld?

Or maybe Constructor?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 11:25:27 AM by Dr. LudoS » Logged

Dr. LudoS
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1438 on: March 15, 2015, 11:23:51 AM »

Been playing this for the past few hours, it's a fun little time-waster. Fuck the Death boss though. How on earth are you supposed to beat that guy without grinding levels forever?

Yes, this game is definitively about grinding after the sixth "world" Smiley
I have yet to reach the Death boss (I'm struggling with the Snow Queen), but this may be helpful to you:
http://jayisgames.com/review/ginormo-sword-walkthrough.php

My bet would be that you'll have to buy a sword and charge it with "White" elemental power (use diamond on your sword at the enchanter's shop - personally I choose to make the Katana a "fire & light" blade)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: March 15, 2015, 11:45:54 AM »

no its definitely not any dope wars clone i could find and it's definitely not constructor. its not chaos overlords either, tho it had a somewhat similar kind of look.

like i said it was either freeware or shareware and it looked really amateurish.

EDIT: HOLY I SHIT I FOUND IT by sifting through a german games site. it's a series of 4 games called "city skirmish" and its apparently german only, so no wonder you guys didn't know about it (thanks anyway!).

this is also probably the only game ive ever seen that has the developer's ICQ number in the main screen (remember ICQ? good times eh)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 12:10:51 PM by Silbereisen » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 70 71 [72] 73 74 ... 96
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic