Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 01:37:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsShooter Thing 2 - Score Assault
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Shooter Thing 2 - Score Assault  (Read 780 times)
DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2013, 12:41:41 AM »

A while back, my friend/'partner in crime' Renya, made a simple shmup for a school project. During it's development, he left the .gmk file in our shared dropbox, whether on purpose or not, I can't recall. I opened it up, and found it to be a bit lacking. One enemy, and not a whole lot to it at the time.
The controls however, I found intriguing: WASD for movement, space for basic attack, and the arrow keys for special moves. I began tweaking at it, adding a star field for the background, some quick and dirty art, asteroids, and a set of homing items.

Looked something like this when I was done.
By the time he finished it for his class, it looked more or less entirely like the gif below, using some other enemies I helped code and art I drew, and new weapons he designed on his own.

Now I don't hate him for using all of my work like that, don't take it that way. But looking back I feel I could've done better. So I'm going to try and make that a fact.
A gif of what my version looks like:

Since the making of that gif, I've rotated the layout 90o, changed the length of the swarm missile trails, the speed of the missiles themselves, and made the ship's exhaust actually move out behind it.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2013, 02:11:22 AM »

Surely no buggy score counter here:

Also pictured, the changes I mentioned above, and a rough wave spawning system.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2013, 12:13:15 PM »

Something appears to be wrong with the wave spawner.
I also regret trying to use the swarm missiles.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2013, 12:56:53 PM »

Delays seem to be off on the trio of wave spawners, I'll work on that later.
But for now, I've added a new wave type

Still no player damage yet, though.

DustyDrake
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2013, 12:11:37 AM »

Well, good thing we're barely along.
See, it's only really noticeable in the swarm missiles, but I'm actually fairly inspired by the "giant robot" anime, like Gundam Wing, and Robotech.
Now you may see a problem with this:
Those animes have giant robots, this doesn't.

Well, no, not yet.
The plan is to have each enemy exist on the 3 planes, and the player would be allowed to switch between ship/robot modes, which would change your perspective of the enemies and game. Ship mode would be the classic "Shmup" perspective I have, and robot mode would be closer to Star Fox, or perhaps more of a rail shooter.
Problem is the current system doesn't account for this, so things will have to change, basically meaning a rewrite of about 3ish days of work. No biggie.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic