Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411974 Posts in 69437 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 15, 2024, 09:31:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSpeedrun (Working Title) Alpha 0.5
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Speedrun (Working Title) Alpha 0.5  (Read 1184 times)
udellgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: August 30, 2013, 06:34:37 AM »

Hi, I'm Nick Udell, developer of Hairball - which I've previously shared here. When I did, I got such good feedback from you, I'd be mad not to try again with my latest project!

This is Alpha 0.5 of Speedrun, you can play it here: http://gamejolt.com/games/arcade/speedrun/16993/ and there is a web player, as well as binaries for Windows, OSX and Linux.

I'd love to know what you think!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 04:44:07 PM by udellgames » Logged

Find more of me elsewhere!

Twitter | Facebook | Google+ | Skype
rhenzar
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:06:14 PM »

Nice job on the game! It runs smoothly and is fun to play.

I've been working with Unity for the past few weeks and I was wondering, how have you set up your Scene? I would imagine that the player's Z axis is locked, with the walls (also nice and challenging) moving towards the player and being removed after hitting a trigger behind the camera. All in all, great job! Looks awesome!
udellgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 04:30:46 PM »

Yeah, that's pretty much it, except instead of a trigger they just run a depth test when I update their positions. There are also a few invisible trigger planes for some of the effects too.

udellgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2013, 01:27:28 AM »

Hi, good idea on the background colours!

The scoring works like this:

When you pass a set of blocks, you receive a base score of 100x the number of blocks in that group.

You also have a multiplier. The multiplier is accrued by passing adjacent to blocks (either directly left, right, top or bottom). Each block you are adjacent to adds 0.1 to your multiplier, up to a maximum of 3.

The base score is multiplied by the multiplier and is added to your total score.

I'm working on adding a few different bonuses for tricky maneuvers, such as a "last second save" bonus which doubles your score for that block group if you move out of the way of a block within 1 second.

I'm open to suggestions though, and I'll see if I can come up with something from your idea.

Thanks!

Daid
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2013, 11:35:46 AM »

First off, I suck at the game. But I do like it, feels nice and fast.

But I am missing one little thing, and that's some better feedback that I lost a life. Right now I think the walls change color, but I'm not watching the walls, I'm watching the end of the hallway. I also do not have the time to look at the lives counter. Maybe some audio feedback would help in this case?

Software engineer by trade. Game development by hobby.
The Tribute Of Legends Devlog Co-op zelda.
EmptyEpsilon Free Co-op multiplayer spaceship simulator
udellgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2013, 06:10:24 PM »

Hi, Daid, thanks for the feedback!

I agree that audio feedback for life loss is sorely needed. I'll be working on that tomorrow, and you should be able to expect a new build posted here on Friday.

Thanks again!

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 01:27:09 PM »

It's a very fun and very difficult game. I would slow things down just a tad, because it seems incredibly difficult from the get-go. Other than that, the feel is good. I love the juciness when you move to a different space and it sort of wobble-fixes itself - now that's good game design.

udellgames
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2013, 01:28:28 PM »

Thanks very much! I'm embarassed at how long I spent tweaking that Smiley

framk
Level 2

I don't know anything

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2013, 01:31:12 PM »

It's totally fine. In my humble opinion it's the little things in making a game feel great that truly make the game. Anyone can make a game that's functional - Maybe even the game is fun - but until you hit the trifecta of functionality, fun, and fluidity, you haven't made a great game.

andreyin
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2013, 03:03:02 PM »

Really cool. IMO the only thing missing is some kind of feedback for when you hit something; maybe break the boxes, have a sound play or something.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic