Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:12:39 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopJoh's character and game art attempts
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Joh's character and game art attempts  (Read 3061 times)
Storsorgen
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2013, 07:36:47 AM »

The removal of outlines really helped alot, I think that level of saturation and brightness works.
Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2013, 10:43:34 PM »

It really did help!
So with all the background looking alright, I went on to what I think will be my biggest challenge: spells...
I just find them hard to do, its animated often supported by particles, and has to feel like it packs a punch.
Here is 3 I got:

to be honnest I like the sprite of the meteor and "mortar", its mostly the smoke im not too sure about (and the god damned fire, but I think that is a widely spread problem). Also im not too about the basic fire ball, but im trying to keep it "weak".

Does it look alright?

Again, any comment or suggestions would be appreciated,it really helps.

thanks.

DanDecarlo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2013, 07:51:07 AM »

The third one looks best to me, first could be like 2x bigger + more particles, second is a little too big, but still fine.

Joh
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2013, 08:21:21 PM »

Well, the first one is small because its a lowly fireball, the weakest spell there is... Im looking foward to make mega fireballs, but I cant have the weaker spell be much bigger.. (its already more than 1/3 the player size Tongue )
Still, I changed it a bit,made it nicer (better shape,whiter, feels hotter I think) and removed its animation. I also reduced the particles, something was off to me and I realised that it was the particles getting bigger, instead of smaller. (I dont think fire sparks expand as they "fade away")
Heres what I got now:

How does that look?
Btw, anyone know a place with spell sprites for inspiration? (mostly how to draw em properly) Id also really like to see casts (spell muzzle flash equivalent I guess?) and hitmarks (hit wall/monster disappearance animation)... I guess those are so specific its really hard to find...
thanks

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic