Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 04:14:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsBlockhead's Blunder (3D platformer)
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Blockhead's Blunder (3D platformer)  (Read 8641 times)
thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2013, 07:48:11 PM »

Me and my friend raced through the two levels that the game had at the time, was really fun, nice work.

The only thing that both made us tick was that sometimes you can jump on a bee without bouncing. I don't know if this is intended nor how I did it (may have been pressing space as soon as I hit the bee?) but it was a little annoying when you expect to get high, yo. Panda

Thanks! Yeah, I've noticed that bug and I've been contemplating what to do about it. One person actually said they liked it because they exploited it to get faster speedruns, haha. I originally had it so that holding the jump button would make you bounce higher off of enemies, but that seemed to confuse a lot of people so I took it out and I think that's when this bug started happening. I may put that feature back in but find a way to explain it in-game so people know how it works.

HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2013, 05:54:11 PM »

S'a lot of fun.  Had fun playing it.  The game visually reminds me of playing super mario 64.

Are these textures temp or will this be the entire visual style of the game?

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2013, 10:40:27 PM »

Trying to unzip the file from indiedb with winrar gave me a bunch "unknown method" errors for some reason, 7zip worked though.

It's a lot better than the last time I tried it, I actually managed to beat the skyscraper and lava levels. I got stuck on the last part of the ruins with the arrow traps and the tiny platforms though.

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2013, 11:01:42 PM »

S'a lot of fun.  Had fun playing it.  The game visually reminds me of playing super mario 64.

Are these textures temp or will this be the entire visual style of the game?
Thanks! The player and enemy models are more or less final (I will most likely add/improve animations though), but most of the level textures are placeholders.

Trying to unzip the file from indiedb with winrar gave me a bunch "unknown method" errors for some reason, 7zip worked though.

It's a lot better than the last time I tried it, I actually managed to beat the skyscraper and lava levels. I got stuck on the last part of the ruins with the arrow traps and the tiny platforms though.
Thanks for the feedback! I had used 7zip to compress the game and may have used some setting that was incompatible with Winrar. I recompressed/uploaded it using Windows' default compression technique so hopefully no one else has this problem from now on.

Pezomi
Level 0

swag swag swag

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2013, 08:37:03 AM »

This game is so cool. I'll continue to follow development on this, keep up the good work.

CowMainia
Level 0

Cheese Burgers

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2013, 09:33:02 AM »

The game is very fun yet hard but in a good way its also in some ways a puzzle. Good game keep it up!
EDIT:
holy crap you are good at this too judging by the GIF'S
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 09:47:11 AM by cowmainia » Logged

LINK SPAM! YouTube::Google+::Twitter(coming soon)
HyMyNameIsMatt
Level 1

Vernal Edge

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2013, 07:49:09 PM »

I tried playing with my controller and it was impossible at certain parts.  The character has different physics and movement speed for some reason when I use my 360 controller.

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: November 22, 2013, 02:40:31 PM »

I've been away from the game for too long, but I'm back. I briefly worked on a Game Boy themed "de-make" for GBJam but didn't end up finishing anything worth playing:

It was nice working with a different tool set though (WebGL w/ Three.js) and I may try to apply some things I tried in this to the actual game, such as the automatic camera system I started working on and dither shaders.

Additionally, I added a high score database to the game a while back and never posted about it here. So, if you play on time attack mode you can now compare your best time to other players'. It still needs a ton of work and right now it doesn't factor in collectibles. I'll make it separate normal runs and 100% runs at some point.

Lastly, here's a GIF of the new level I just started, which will be junk food themed:

I tried playing with my controller and it was impossible at certain parts.  The character has different physics and movement speed for some reason when I use my 360 controller.
Huh, that's odd. I haven't played it with a 360 controller in a while. I'll look into it; thanks for the heads-up!

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2013, 11:50:41 PM »

Did a little modeling today.

Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2013, 08:19:21 AM »

Looks like a Super Meat Boy head. Cheesy

Tried it out and it's really fun to play but the mouse camera movement was quite annoying and frustrating.

Fervir
Level 4

JustLikeMakeGame

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2013, 11:08:18 AM »

That food is amazing

Whiteclaws
Level 10

#include <funny.h>

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2013, 11:20:13 AM »

I love it , although you'll need more checkpoints , as it's not fun to re-do something you already did a gazillion of times for the last jump
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2013, 12:54:17 PM »

Looks like a Super Meat Boy head. Cheesy

Exactly what I've had in mind as well :D Are you planning to get funds or something?

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
Excy
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2013, 02:09:53 AM »

Lastly, here's a GIF of the new level I just started, which will be junk food themed

This really reminds me of the simpsons game for some reason. Looks awesome though :D I may have to play through it again.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2013, 02:19:50 PM »

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36814103/music%20doodles/hamburger.ogg junk food level music maybe??

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2014, 10:41:58 PM »

Did some experimenting.

Sorry I've been gone so long without posting anything. You may have noticed I changed the title. "Blockhead" by itself was too common of a name and I needed something unique. The tentative plot (which will be minimal) will involve the main character accidentally opening a box and getting sucked into an alternate universe, traversing levels to find a way back home. I'm hoping I can make some decent progress soon; I ran out of ideas for the junk food level so I may put that aside and come back to it later.

Jondog
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2014, 11:40:52 PM »

Hooray an update, good to see that you're still working on this.

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: February 01, 2014, 08:38:33 PM »

Toying with the idea of making the level completely monochrome.

thedukeofzill
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »

Sorry I haven't posted in so long... again. I got the itch to work on this some more and have gotten a bit done in the last couple of days. I revised the old camera system to give tighter control, started working on an all new (optional) fully automatic camera system, and cleaned up some of my old messy code.

Just today I made a basic waypoint system for moving platforms so that they can follow any arbitrary path:

Here's a video of the early stages of the new level:

BomberTREE
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2014, 08:46:25 PM »

That looks damn cool!
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic