Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:47:45 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPath to the Sky
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Author Topic: Path to the Sky  (Read 37333 times)
YellowAfterlife
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 17, 2014, 09:08:23 AM »

I'm not sure why this topic has only so many responses. This game looks great. And seems like it'll be great.
Those downwards shadows do look like there could have been something else to them though. Perhaps they could "fade out" over distance via either normal means or dithering?

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 17, 2014, 10:24:00 AM »

@DarkWanderer @Beaulamb1992 Thanks for the input!  Coffee

Those downwards shadows do look like there could have been something else to them though. Perhaps they could "fade out" over distance via either normal means or dithering?

I tried this, and it didnt really look good Sad Probably because it just creates a ton of different values that result in a lot of noise (which I am trying to reduce to keep it simple). But yeah, im still looking at ways to improve the shadows.   Smiley

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 17, 2014, 08:15:53 PM »

Animootion:

Looks intense!  Grin

Thomas Finch
Level 8

@slowcircuit

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 18, 2014, 01:42:24 AM »

Great art! I love when a sprite's shield is bigger than them.

dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2014, 03:53:33 PM »

Bunch of new assets by luke viljoen, I feel like the shadows on the background clouds still need to be less distracting, might change that.

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2014, 06:01:55 PM »

Saw this on twitter, It looks great. Are you going to incorporate his environmental art?
Zack Bell
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2014, 06:20:25 PM »

Bunch of new assets by luke viljoen, I feel like the shadows on the background clouds still need to be less distracting, might change that.

This was paged. Also, it's totally badass.

Coffee

Voltz.Supreme
Level 3

Iron Synth Chef & Voltage Architect

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 25, 2014, 12:30:48 PM »

Very nice!

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2014, 02:47:25 AM »

got here via devlog magazine, and I have to say that this game looks beautiful and pretty damn fun already!

I'm surprised to see that an outline shader required true lowres, there should be ways of doing it that would allow you to define the outline amount, based on the sprite scale/zoom factor.

then again, now your game is a bit closer to "proper" pixel art, a big thing for some, haha.
knifeySpoonie
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2014, 04:38:57 AM »

Damn thats some beautiful pixel art! looking great so far.

Founder and Creative Director |  KnifeySpoonie Games  |  Tpickarddev.com | @TPickardDev
migrafael
Level 3

Making games, two at a time

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2014, 05:37:00 AM »

The clouds seem fine. Maybe in the actual game their distracting, but it's looking pretty sweet here

On STEAM ยป
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: April 01, 2014, 03:55:22 PM »

Hey Dek! This looks really cool, as usual. I'm not sure, but are you planning to early access release this, or just release it as normal?

EDIT: Also, what is a "Force Knuckle"?

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 02, 2014, 01:14:34 AM »

My guess is a Power Fist, but that mechanic was taken out. May be a secret item if we're lucky tho Beg
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 03, 2014, 12:33:20 AM »

I'm surprised to see that an outline shader required true lowres, there should be ways of doing it that would allow you to define the outline amount, based on the sprite scale/zoom factor.

That is completely true and I fixed that now, so outline mode is available in both true pixel and false pixel (or whatever you might wanna call that) mode. Although it can look strange in some places when sprites are rotated.

Hey Dek! This looks really cool, as usual. I'm not sure, but are you planning to early access release this, or just release it as normal?

Thanks Smiley My plan right now is: 1. Release Trailer and open steam-key pre-orders through humble widget 2. open steam early access 3. Balance and adjust the game based on player feedback and create additional content 4. Full steam release

That was a weapon I made when I started doing combat; its purpose was to provide dashing while attacking. Since then I've iterated over combat hundreds of times , as well as changed level design and progression to be more interesting. Turns out that free dashing really isnt what you want when your whole game is about traveling upwards. So, they're gone for now.

What we're working on now is much more interesting in my opinion, and I will fully introduce it in a big devlog post soon, but to sum it up:

When you start, you choose a weapon; Right now theres 3 weapons. Their mechanics are very different from each other; One is hard to use but can be very strong in certain situations, one is super safe but average in damage, one requires you to get up close with enemies but if used correctly is super strong.
And you also have the shield.

Additionally, you can find charms in the game; Charms modify your attacks similar to what happens in Binding of Isaac; There are different kinds of triggers and results.
Triggers are something that can be affected by charms; Right now there are triggers like:
On Projectile Reflect,
On Projectile Hit,
On Jump.. etc.
All weapons have been reworked to basically work like projectiles (yes, even melee weapons are projectiles that you throw for a short amount of time and they return to you) That way all weapons can equally profit from all effects and essentially theres no need for meele triggers.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 12:42:50 AM by dek » Logged

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 03, 2014, 01:03:07 AM »

So none of this any more?

I was looking forward to that.
I'd be curious to see what this new set up will look like in action though.

~(I guess I just really dig that animation. Wouldn't it be possible to have attack animations that look like melee attacks but codewise produce projectiles(albeit without power-ups projectile range would be limited). That way it'd all be projectile based but there'd still get to be cool melee animations. Just a thought I had anyway)
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 01:14:14 AM by DarkWanderer » Logged
Skydsgaard
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 03, 2014, 01:21:35 AM »

I really prefer the non-outline version, it's super clean. Looking forward to the pre-orders!!  Kiss Kiss Kiss

Christian
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: April 03, 2014, 05:31:21 AM »

Pre-orders? Awesome, can't wait

Visit Indie Game Enthusiast or follow me @IG_Enthusiast to learn about the best new and upcoming indie games!
Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2014, 09:51:16 PM »

This is looking great. Movement appears so smooth and really nice player feedback.

wurthers
Level 0

wurthers original (not a candy)

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 06, 2014, 05:14:49 AM »

Love how this is coming along! I like the charms idea. Were you thinking of making them progressively unlockable like in BoI or Risk of Rain, or would there just be a single pool you could get? I think it'd be nifty if the higher you went on the map, the more rare and powerful charms you could find -- but also make them more inaccessible as you go?

Anyway, posting to follow, keep up the good work Smiley
dek
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 09, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

Love how this is coming along! I like the charms idea. Were you thinking of making them progressively unlockable like in BoI or Risk of Rain, or would there just be a single pool you could get? I think it'd be nifty if the higher you went on the map, the more rare and powerful charms you could find -- but also make them more inaccessible as you go?

Anyway, posting to follow, keep up the good work Smiley

Thanks im glad you like it!
I havent played that much ROI to really be able to compare it. I want the charms to have similar effect on combat as well as other utility like it is happening in BoI. That said, given the fact that the level design and gameplay mechanics are paced a bit differently, the balancing and introduction of charms is still something that I am experimenting with. To be honest, I have tried to "make it work like BOI" but that just wont happen if you dont apply it to the same context of combat interaction and pacing. Its something I am working on and probably one of the biggest obstacles and issues for completing the game. Pacing and flow of gameplay.

To update the devlog a bit:
Im on one of my - way too common - dev breaks right now until the 15th, from when on ill be able to pour my soul into this once again. There are some other real life obstacles (financial, geographical, mental) in the way but I hope that im getting closer to a final long development stretch resulting in something publicly presentable. In some good news, I got a publishing offer and I hope they'll be able to help me create a kickstarter or something so I can stop living like a hobo. Right now I dont even know if I still have a flat in august.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic