Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 12:26:18 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsJobsCollaborationsWriter/designer looking for programmer/developer(s)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Writer/designer looking for programmer/developer(s)  (Read 1420 times)
persondude
Level 0

View Profile
« on: October 05, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »

Hello!  Just what the title says; I'm trying to assemble a small team (or even just one multitalented other person) to hammer out a game.  The basic idea is a 2D episodic RPG-ish game with a large focus on story and character development.  I've got quite a bit of the story elements fleshed out, but the details are going to come down to what route gameplay development takes.

I can see it adapting to anything from a top-down Pokemon or Fallout 1 & 2 style to something more like the Walking Dead "interactive cutscene" approach.  I'm pretty eager to start bouncing ideas around and working out the details, so if you've got any questions, let me have it.  I'll be happy to give more info if anyone wants it.

EDIT:  I'm amending this to add that I'm also very open to joining some projects to help me build a video game writing portfolio.  I'm not looking for paid work, but royalties would be nice if applicable.  I've done short stories, screenplays, and comic scripts, as well as video work, so I'm used to working with different mediums and with teams on creative projects.

I'm down for just about anything: character profiles, dialog, dialog trees, flavor text, story, whatever.  I'm not very picky about genre or game style, part of the fun for me is the challenge of working within those constraints.  My main goal here is just to generate some portfolio work in a new medium and get some experience working with developers.  And if anyone wants to tackle the project I described above, awesome.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 08:22:03 PM by persondude » Logged
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2013, 07:16:17 AM »

What technology do you require the programmer(s) to be familiar with?
Have you got any previous projects that you've finished?
persondude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 09:09:18 AM »

No previous game projects, but I've got a degree in film and broadcasting and I've done a fair amount of video work, so I'm not completely new to collaborating with a team on creative projects.

As far as technology, that would depend on which approach the programmer wanted to take, so it would be largely up to them.  I'm open to just about anything.
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2013, 08:48:54 AM »

So, basically you're saying:
"I don't know what I'm doing, but I've got a degree which makes me think that I know what I'm doing, so I don't think that collaborating on film is different from collaborating on indie game development.

As far as technology, I don't know anything so I'll delegate to the tech guy to figure it out."

Well, most of the people on these forums will probably not be interested in your project.
It's nothing personal, persondude, it's just that this industry doesn't even know what a "producer" does here anyway. You don't seem like you can actually do any thing useful (and before you say that you have ideas, we all have ideas).

But it doesn't have to be that way.
If you'd like to assemble a team and be a producer (which IMHO is a very useful thing to have in a team), you need to show us tigsourcers that you can deliver.
I doubt that you will manage to assemble a team without it; but you might see a vicious cycle here.

Well it's not a vicious cycle.
I'd like to encourage you to make a couple of (small) games yourself, so that you could point at them victoriously. If you manage to make a game that will spark people's interests, they will ask to join you themselves. Once you've done two or three games with other people, you'll have full right to ask to create a new team from scratch (and act as a producer) (and I think better chances of succeeding at it).

How do you start?
Learn to develop things. I can recommend:
- PyGame: Easy to learn. Will be your gateway into the "programming" aspect of things if you'll like it.
- Unity3D / UDK: Commercialy-developed full-blown game engines (might be overkill). Use this to make complex things quickly. Has steep learning curve.
- GameMaker: An awesome choice to make simple things quickly. Very friendly learning curve.
My personal recommendation is either GameMaker or PyGame. PyGame will teach you Python, which can be directly applied to other fields of programming.
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 09:28:20 AM »

Sorry to burst the bubble. But ideas come cheap.
If you won't do anything else yourself, most likely you won't be able to find anyone.

Might I recommend trying to develop a prototype or just make a mockup how you think your game should look.

soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »

Which is what I just said.
rundown
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2013, 10:07:13 AM »

Which is what I just said.

Yea took me some time to post it :p noticed I still had it open in a tab. Your post wasn't there when I first saw it.

So yea, what you said!

persondude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2013, 01:17:58 PM »

Whoa, so much hostility.  Why all the disdain for writers?  I offered a service some folks could use ("character profiles, dialog, dialog trees, flavor text, story, whatever") and you tell me that's not anything useful?  I get that you folks have a steady supply of Idea Guys asking you to make their stuff, I've run into that myself, but there's a big gap between Idea Guy and someone who can communicate their own or others' ideas in a meaningful way.  And I get that an understanding of the entire game creation process would better inform any aspect of that process, despite the fact that plenty of developers don't bother with learning how to tell a decent story.  But the condescension was a little much.

For what it's worth, I have started learning some programming, Python and JavaScript to be specific.  I lurked around boards like this long enough before posting to know it would be a useful complement to writing, but I didn't think a lack of knowledge on that front would completely exclude me from contributing to anyone else's work or attracting some similarly inexperienced folks to my own project as a learning experience.

Anyway, I'd heard of Unity3D, but the learning curve was intimidating. I'm checking out PyGame and GameMaker tonight.  Multimedia Fusion was something else I'd heard about, any thoughts on that?
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 01:30:52 PM »

I think it's the lack of hard writing samples, preferably in a functional game-related context.

The hostility is mainly because there are many, many people checking in as "writers" with posts consisting of four and a half lines of text with *extremely* shaky spelling and grammar (not yours, obviously!). No samples, links, examples of any kind to be found.
This has given writing people in general a bad rep around here, I think.

Personally I'd love to see a writer show a portfolio of actual useable game material - a branching dialogue, a comedy exposition scene, a snippet of characterization, all fully written and ready to go. I'm certain they'd get a really healthy number of positive replies.

(← new art twitter)
persondude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 01:39:50 PM »

That's mainly what I was hoping to get, Miguelito.  Just some portfolio work from contributing to someone else's project.  I was hesitant to create anything for my own game on the chance that it would be completely incompatible with whatever route the gameplay took, but if that's what I have to do, so be it.  I DO have a good bit of prose laying around, and a couple of scripts, but as they're not game-specific I didn't want to lean to heavily on them as examples.

I can understand the aversion to hacks, though, so I'll do my best to prove I'm not one.
Miguelito
Level 4

makes graphics

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 01:44:02 PM »

I don't think you'll need to write another Torment before you find collab partners, but yeah, one or two of those scripts dressed up in a nice, readable format should help a lot.  Smiley

(← new art twitter)
persondude
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2013, 07:21:09 PM »

Well, here's a short branching dialog.  Broader than it is deep.  I've been through it so many times now that I can't see mistakes anymore, if there are any, so please speak up if there's a loophole I didn't close.  I'm not saying this is indisputable proof that I'm the writer everyone needs, I'm just hoping this will lend me a bit of credibility.

The scenario is that the PC, Dust, killed a monster the night before and took its teeth as proof to collect a bounty.  The following morning, the teeth may or may not have been stolen in the night, and Dust is meeting the sheriff to collect the reward money.  He's got a few options:

Honesty: If he has the teeth, he'll hand them over and get his reward, as well as an offer for more work.  If he doesn't, he can take the sheriff to the body, which would be another scene.

Intimidation: A successful intimidation attempt will get him the reward money.  If he has the teeth, he'll get to keep them.  If he doesn't, he gets the reward money without having to come up with any proof.  Either way, the sheriff won't be too friendly toward him, and doesn't bother to let Dust know about other jobs available.  Failing to intimidate the sheriff will give Dust a chance to backpedal and be honest, or start combat.

Bluffing: Dust can lie, which will give him the benefits of a successful intimidation attempt (reward without losing the teeth or without having to find other proof) without the drawbacks (an unfriendly sheriff and no knowledge of other jobs).  Failing to bluff the sheriff will make the sheriff blow him off and end the dialog.  The sheriff can still be approached again.

A couple of the sheriff's dialogs, S1a and S3a, have the wording slightly changed from their original counterparts according to the dialog that brought them there.  S6a eliminates the intimidate option from S6 to prevent looping intimidation attempts.  That is, if you decide to be honest about losing the fangs after failing to intimidate, you don't get the option to intimidate again.

The sheriff approaches as Dust enters the inn common room.

Sheriff: "I hear you're the one that took care of our dog problem.  Suppose you'll be wanting the bounty.  Do you have the teeth?"

• [ONLY if Black Dog Fangs were not stolen] "Yes, they're right here." (Go to S1)
  • [INTIMIDATE] "The word of a marshal isn't good enough for you?  Call me a liar again, and I'll put this sword through you as quick as I did that monster." (Go to S2 if successful, S3 if failed)
  • [BLUFF] "Black dog fangs disappear at sunrise, just like their bodies.  Didn't you know?" (Go to S4 if successful, S5 if failed)
  • [ONLY if Black Dog Fangs were stolen] "Someone made off with them while I was asleep.  But you can ask anyone that was here last night, I had them." (Go to S6)

S1: "Oh, my.  It must have been quite a beast, with a mouth full of daggers like that.  Here's your reward, all in silver.  We thank you for your service.  Come by my office in Hedgecross if you want some more work." (Gain 40 silver pieces, lose Black Dog Fangs) [END]

S1a: "Was that so hard?  It must have been quite a beast, with a mouth full of daggers like that.  Here's your reward, all in silver.  Come by my office in Hedgecross if you want some more work." (Gain 40 silver pieces, lose Black Dog Fangs) [END]

S2: "I—er, a marshal?  I'm sorry, I didn't know.  I saw some of your work  during the rebellion.  Nasty, nasty business.  Not your work, specifically, I wouldn't want to imply—your reward, yes, here it is.  Good day." (Gain 40 silver pieces) [END]

S3: "Marshal of the distillery, more like.  If I had a star for every drunk I've locked up for waving some scavenged relic around, claiming to be this marshal or that knight, I say, I wouldn't be sheriffing.  I'll need some proof before I hand over any reward."

• [ONLY if Black Dog Fangs were not stolen]"Fine.  Here." (Go to S1a)
  • "I told you not to call me a liar." [ATTACK]
  • [ONLY if Black Dog Fangs were stolen] "Someone made off with them while I was asleep.  But you can ask anyone that was here last night, I had them." (Go to S6a)

S3a: "Marshal of the distillery, more like.  If I had a star for every drunk I've locked up for waving some scavenged relic around, claiming to be this marshal or that knight, I say, I wouldn't be sheriffing.  No proof, no pay."

• "I can show you the body.  It's just off the road into town." (Go to S7)
  • "I told you not to call me a liar." [ATTACK]

S4: "Really?  Must be why they're only seen at night.  Yes, it makes perfect sense now that I think of it.  Strange it never occurred to me before.  I guess that's why you're the expert.  Here's your reward, and please, come see me in Hedgecross if you'd like some more work." (Gain 40 silver pieces) [END]

S5: "Funny, I had the same problem with the reward money.  If they should turn up, You can find me in Hedgecross.  Good day." [END]

S6: "An inn full of drunks?  For all I know, you offered them a share of the reward for supporting you.  No, I'll have to see evidence if I'm to issue any coin."

• [INTIMIDATE] "The word of a marshal isn't good enough for you?  Call me a liar again, and I'll put this sword through you as quick as I did that monster." (Go to S2 if successful, S3a if failed)

S6a: "An inn full of drunks?  For all I know, you offered them a share of the reward for supporting you.  No, I'll have to see evidence if I'm to issue any coin."

S7: "I suppose that will do.  Just know that I wouldn't make such a concession if it wasn't on my way.  Let me know when you're ready to go, and be quick about it.  I have an appointment at midday." [END]
Sved
Level 4

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »

Nice, the example is quite complete, but hard to get on written form.
If you could place these on a visual mindmap or something similar, you would get a better feedback from it(and I would suggest to start your thread over afterwards).

... but that is mostly psychological. Check my devlog!
Selmak75
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2013, 07:49:51 PM »

I am currently programming a web interface made especially for collaborations, it's pretty much a cloud system designed for content designer (graphics, maps, etc...) which will eventually be linked to my game editor/engine that i have been working on in the past 2 years.

This is where someone with writing experience comes in.

see screenshots:
http://blizzoid.net/GameAdvent/screenshots/ga_collaboration_concept.jpg
http://blizzoid.net/GameAdvent/screenshots/gaweb_screenshot1.jpg

There is a "Storyline" section (not done yet), this is where I'll need input on how to design this interface since i have no experience with writing or how to integrate it properly to a project.

Please note that i am not ready to team up just yet, i have yet to make a gdd system.

Here's a video of my prototype: http://www.blizzoid.net/GameAdvent/screenshots/video_player/video1.html

In this video, the target type is a gauntlet style game with multiplayer support, i have seen only one with networking support but it's a little buggy.

Note that my web interface is not ready yet, any input will be greatly appreciated. If a 2D artist wishes to join early for this type of game, send me a PM. The graphics style i'm aiming for is snes style or modern.

I have released a total of 9 mobile games in the last 3 years, this was done part time.

C#, Objective-C, VB, PHP, LUA, & Javascript programming
soryy708
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2013, 02:08:36 AM »

I'm a programmer, and I'm as creative as a brick can get.
Your writing seems decent, so i'll give you a shot :D

Design a game, write the narrative, and I'll be willing to implement it.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic