Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:53:29 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGuild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
Print
Author Topic: Guild of Dungeoneering [now out on iOS and Android too!]  (Read 88805 times)
Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: February 06, 2014, 04:40:41 AM »

This is really nice, i love the whole idea Smiley

I played the demo and it feels good although after a few monster battles i just died, but i guess this will change with Armour upgrades and health potions maybe? Smiley

One other thing i found was that if i wanted to add a dungeon piece to the bottom sometimes the cards restricted my view but apart from that i enjoyed it.

Looking forward to an update :D

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #121 on: February 06, 2014, 06:10:53 AM »

Thanks for trying it out. It's not obvious in any way (a tiny bit of instructions is on my todo list... ) - but you can scroll the map by dragging with the mouse or using the arrow keys

Beaulamb1992
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: February 06, 2014, 07:57:41 AM »

Ah i feel silly for not even trying that out! Tongue cool Smiley

Henrikc3
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2014, 08:26:36 AM »

Played this at last Dubludo in Dublin. A very interesting concept, balancing the use of tougher monsters versus giving him phat loot. Look forward to seeing how far it's evolved, hopefully at next dubludo Smiley
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: February 07, 2014, 02:37:52 AM »

Hi Henrik, yep I'll be bringing it along to the next one - Feb 21st!

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: February 09, 2014, 09:06:32 AM »

Update: v0.6.9 Feb 9th

Changes since the last version
- equippable weapons, shields, helmets and armour. These are found in the HOPE deck so you may need to beat some easier monsters to be able to play them first.
- all treasure/monster tokens shown on cards have a white background, when you play them they then have the appropriate colour background
- added some more monsters: Bandito, Cyclops, Fire Demon, Ghost, Giant Bat, Scary Spider, Goblin
- known issue: if you equip a lot of armour and fight against a similarly armoured monster so that neither hurts the other the fight never ends. TODO: have fights end in a draw after say 10 rounds..

Play this version: Browser (Flash)
Feedback very much welcomed!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:35:33 PM by gambrinous » Logged

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: February 10, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »

Mini Update: v0.6.10 Feb 10th

- fix for the bug where if you clicked on your dungeoneer repeatedly he would float off upwards and to the right
- fix for battles that never end (if both dungeoneer and monster have high armour and can't be hurt). Now the dungeoneer runs away after five battle rounds. TODO on this is to have him say something cowardly and to have the monster retain whatever health it was on (currently they reset to full health)

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: February 12, 2014, 06:35:01 AM »

ErraticGamer interviewed me and we talked about my inspirations for the game, design challenges and where I hope to take it next, among other things:

http://www.erraticgamer.com/blog/2014/2/11/paper-heroes-colm-larkin-and-guild-of-dungeoneering.html

Worth a read if you are interested in Dungeoneering! One excerpt:

EG: Cool. I didn’t intend this to be the Name Drop interview, so after this I’ll stop, but have you played Card Hunter? Is there a plan to work any kind of deck building mechanic into the larger framework of the game, since the whole thing is randomized based on card draws? Collecting items and monsters that would then have a chance to drop in your next run, etc?

Colm: I sure have. It has a lot of similarities to Dungeoneering, including the ‘just like a board game’ look and feel. I have to say when I first played it I was blown away by what they had created. The aesthetic, the throwbacks to D&D like their adventure module faux-booklets, the game itself. This was right about when I was planning Dungeoneering and I remember thinking “I’ll never be able to make something as amazing as this.” Then I had a look at their team page which is full to the brim with super talented people, including Richard Garfield (creator of Magic The Gathering). That made me feel a lot better! As for deck building, it is very tempting to include as I love card games that let you change your deck (I even made a drafting game for 1GAM). I don’t think I will make it as integral to the game as they did in Card Hunter, but I think a little bit of deck manipulation will be interesting. Say you improve your Guild to have a shrine to the goddess of luck - maybe that adds a ‘lucky escape’ card to your HOPE deck which might get you out of a tight spot; a small bonus rather than a game changer.

IndieRex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 12, 2014, 04:44:02 PM »

ErraticGamer interviewed me and we talked about my inspirations for the game, design challenges and where I hope to take it next, among other things:

http://www.erraticgamer.com/blog/2014/2/11/paper-heroes-colm-larkin-and-guild-of-dungeoneering.html

Worth a read if you are interested in Dungeoneering! One excerpt:

Great article. It seems like one of your biggest challenges with this game is it being a spare time project for you. Have you given any consideration to running a crowdfunding campaign so you could dedicate yourself to this full time?
Gorman
Level 0

hnnnggg

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: February 12, 2014, 05:04:09 PM »

this looks really cool. i need to make time to try it out!

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2014, 01:57:02 AM »

Great article. It seems like one of your biggest challenges with this game is it being a spare time project for you. Have you given any consideration to running a crowdfunding campaign so you could dedicate yourself to this full time?

I have thought about it alright. The game is now at a pretty good concept state with nice art that it should be possible to do so. The main issue for me is that being from Ireland means Kickstarter is not an option. When I then compare similar game projects on Indiegogo and KS it makes me think is it even worth it - it really looks like you will get 10x the attention simply by being on KS  Apoplectic

IndieRex
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2014, 12:44:52 PM »

The main issue for me is that being from Ireland means Kickstarter is not an option.

While it doesn't have the userbase of Kickstarter - there is always IndieGoGo. Alternatively, you could have someone from the US run a Kickstarter for you.

EDIT: If you do go the proxy route it would probably make more sense to do it through the UK rather than the US actually. Here's a guide you might find helpful (http://www.xenonauts.com/kickstarter.html).
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 02:31:27 PM by IndieRex » Logged
gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: February 16, 2014, 06:41:59 AM »

Thanks IndieRex, I had actually read that article about 8 months ago. Very interesting, but for the amount I would likely look for it would be extremely expensive and difficult. I'm still debating going for IndieGoGo vs just proceeding onwards without funding.. will see

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: February 16, 2014, 11:23:43 AM »

Update: v0.6.10 Feb 16th

- Initial work for a boss monster. EMBRO the fire lord now appears on screen as you start to rant at you.
- Added some demon sounds when Embro is talking. Will eventually do this kind of thing for all chatter
- Improved UI fade in at start of game; improved appearance of monster/treasure tokens on board

Next up:
- Embro will grow stronger if you let dread stay at 5 (the max) from turn to turn
- Embro will eventually appear in the map once you kill enough minions
- Beating him wins the alpha

Feedback very much welcomed!

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2014, 02:00:42 PM »

Mini Update: v0.6.11 Feb 17th

- added a placeholder sound for when your dungeoneer is talking (it's actually a baby Tongue ); going to go for a similar non-verbal style of sound for this later on
- fixed a bug with the 'wooden shield' card's title being too big for the space on the card

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: February 18, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »

Mini Update: v0.6.11 Feb 18th

- changed the boss monster to run in from offscreen to deliver his lines. He also bounces as he shouts
- added some more lines for the boss when you kill your first minion. I'm going to use him to guide you / give you goals / prod you if you aren't pushing onwards etc

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: February 20, 2014, 03:35:14 AM »

Just wanted to say I'm going to be attending GDC for the first time this year, so if anyone wants to meet up let me know. Naturally happy to show off Dungeoneering to anyone who wants to see it (do press frequent the Tigsource forums? ha), but mostly going for inspiration and to meet other devs.

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: February 20, 2014, 03:50:22 PM »

If anyone wants to try the game as an installable for PC or Mac there is a download link here:
http://gambrinous.com/games/dungeoneering/dungeoneering.air

You should be prompted to install Adobe AIR first, if you don't already have it.

MasterLee
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: February 20, 2014, 03:53:36 PM »

Saw your post on Reddit, and played the game a bit. Really cool idea, and love the "pen and paper" visual style. Made it feel very nostalgic:)

gambrinous
Level 4

Indie Game Developer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: February 21, 2014, 02:18:30 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement MasterLee!  Gentleman

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 22
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic