Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 08:53:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingJuxtavect: Teleporting Top Down Shooter, Initial Prototype
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Juxtavect: Teleporting Top Down Shooter, Initial Prototype  (Read 1911 times)
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2013, 09:17:51 AM »

This is the first time I've linked to this game for public opinion, only a few hours in but some early feedback would be great.  Anything from bugs, to gameplay criticisms to theme suggestions is hugely appreciated.  All I have is a short prototype level but hopefully it's worth your time.  All art is temporary.

The game is best described as a cross between Hotline Miami and Velocity Ultra, please take a look and provide feedback Smiley

Windows:  https://www.dropbox.com/s/1rofte3vj89osk9/Juxtavect_Windows_Build01.rar

Mac: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4y9mz73euz7wskc/Juxtavect_Mac_Build01.rar

Linux: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kshzngpumhk607n/Juxtavect_Linux_Build01.rar

If for any reason you didn't want to download the game then could you please explain why, that information is useful too!

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 11:29:12 PM by LevelUpJordan » Logged
Prads
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2013, 10:43:49 AM »

I am a huge fan of Hotline Miami. This prototype is exactly like that game except for the teleporting part. It would be great if you would explore all the unique gameplay that can be created using teleportation mechanics 'cause right now it looks too much like Hotline Miami and doesn't offer anything unique. It would be awesome if you explore stuffs that game like Hotline Miami doesn't offer. For instance, maybe there are different types of vehicles that player can ride and attack their enemy with, just something that would make it unique from other games of similar genre.

LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2013, 11:08:55 AM »

Hi! Thanks for taking a look, I am currently trying to "de-Hotline Miami" the game as I agree it treads a bit too close to that game.  Although to be honest it's a decent game to get compared to Tongue

I hope to differentiate by really designing around the teleport, perhaps putting a lot more emphasis on stealth & puzzle and random other changes like the vehicle example you suggested.

Glad you didn't hate it!

Jordan
Orymus
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2013, 12:50:43 PM »

Hey, thanks for reaching out, this was an interesting play through.

First, as many have put it, your key game changer here is the teleport (and MAN, there's potential there).
After a few tries, I realized that it was MUCH easier to teleport in my enemies than to try and overcome them hand-to-hand (because of the movement speed mostly, and limited punch range).

Another key factor here is stealth. After a few tries, I realized I could skip a few enemies for a better playthrough. Please do find ways to reward players for playing stealthily.

Everything else is allright (and I did find your secret room).
Possibly, with the use of guns, breakable walls or props would be cool. While props may not play a game role per se, they'd add to the overall feel that you're shooting bullets.

What are your plans with this one?
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2013, 01:02:26 PM »

Thanks back at you for checking it out!

Yeah, I'm definitely going to try and design around teleport and stealth, glad you see there's some potential there Smiley

As for my plans, honestly I have no idea. I'm fairly busy with my university course but I'd hope for it to be my first actual, completed game. Release it on PC, Mac and Linux when it's done, obviously I'd need to add art, music, more gameplay variety etc. but I think if I'm ever going to finish a game then this is a good place to start.
Naz.j
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2013, 02:04:22 PM »

Little bug:

That happened when I pressed 'q' to throw my weapon while being on top of another weapon.
As it's been said, the fighting part needs a bit of improvement. However, it was interesting, and I felt a little dissapointed when it ended 'cause I was starting to ask myself why was my character there? Who where the red people and why was I killing them? Where was I? Now I need to get an answer, so I hope you finish this game Tongue
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »

Thankyou for identifying what caused that bug, it's been driving me crazy! Hopefully answers are to come, unfortunately as this is temporary there might not be red guys and green guys in the final game :O
Naz.j
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2013, 02:32:50 PM »

Will be waiting to hear more about the story then. Good luck with this proyect  Grin
PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2013, 07:06:54 PM »

The movement controls felt sluggish to me, particularly before I got the shotgun. Sometimes I would run into a wall and it seemed like it took me too long to change directions to get around it. Other times I would teleport behind someone then try to move in a little close for a punch, but I tended to not hold down the movement key long enough and ended up still being too far away. I'd much prefer if the acceleration and deceleration on the movement were faster.

Besides that the teleportation mechanic seems like it has potential. Your UI indicating when the teleport is ready is effective.

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2013, 07:45:05 PM »

Thanks for your thoughts, I'm still changing stuff like speed and acceleration quite vastly from day to day so I'll keep that in mind. Glad you didn't have any other major issues with the game, appreciate your time Smiley
Ancient Account
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2013, 01:11:01 AM »

I didn't see this coming...
If you are still listening and/or working on it:

This was a nice prototype for a game.
Though the melee combat i.e. punch wasn't as good though.
I couldn't punch all those guys (after the teleporting tutorial) in one attempt.
I found out it was better to just run like hell while teleporting and thus evading them than to fight. I don't know if this was intentional though.
This is interesting as enemies don't notice you if you're behind them or out of their view range. This could possibly to lead to stealth mechanics.
Apart from the graphics and sounds, the gameplay is quite good.

I hope you continue to work on this game, or make games like these.

Also, since I posted so late, this post may actually work as a bump post, so people can notice it again.
LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 11:23:58 PM »

Ha! Yup, I'm still here. My week at university has just been very, very busy!

I'm glad you saw potential in the prototype, I definitely hope to try and encourage stealth segments.  Of course, with action levels too!

I agree the punching definitely needs working on.

Thanks for your time and input!
Slader16
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2013, 02:24:29 PM »

This is such an awesome prototype, it's like Dishonored combined with Hotline Miami!

LevelUpJordan
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2013, 11:51:17 PM »

This is such an awesome prototype, it's like Dishonored combined with Hotline Miami!

Can't complain about that comparison, thanks!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic