Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:21:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsMaster Spy - Cinematic Stealth Platformer [Out on Steam!]
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Author Topic: Master Spy - Cinematic Stealth Platformer [Out on Steam!]  (Read 23724 times)
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: December 09, 2014, 07:12:39 AM »

I think I'm going to write up an article on our process for cutscenes, would you be interested in that?

Yes of course! Smiley

Ask and you shall receive! I've posted it over on indieDB, I'll have to reformat it to post here in a short while.

anthnich
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: December 09, 2014, 09:18:31 AM »

Awesome work. Best of luck on IOTY! You have my vote.

Turnover @ Steam
Paul
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2014, 11:01:39 AM »

Voted! The game is looking real nice, looking forward to the full version! Is there a release date somewhere that I just can't find?
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2014, 01:25:24 PM »

Voted! The game is looking real nice, looking forward to the full version! Is there a release date somewhere that I just can't find?

Thanks Paul! We've had a couple things set us back a bit recently that makes it harder to nail down a date, but I feel we're back on track for sometime early next year. We're currently finishing up the last couple of cutscenes and music and have a bit of art and polish to do, and I want to make sure we get some good testing in before really settling on a date. I'll try to keep everybody updated on the situation! Thanks!

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: December 11, 2014, 06:53:22 AM »

Awesome news - thanks to your support, Master Spy has made it into the IndieDB Top 100 of 2014! You guys are super awesome!

Gwinnell
Level 0

A C/C++ guy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: December 11, 2014, 07:52:33 AM »

Awesome news - thanks to your support, Master Spy has made it into the IndieDB Top 100 of 2014! You guys are super awesome!

Great stuff! You've got my vote. Smiley

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #86 on: December 18, 2014, 01:01:38 PM »

I've been toying around with a few ideas for the menu, and it felt like a good time to settle on a new font, as we'd been feeling the old font, while a really cool retro font, didn't necessarily have a "spy" look to it. What do you think of the new font?

Old:

New:

I should have some mockups of the menu soon - we were originally thinking of a BIOs Noir look that would mimic an 80s/cyberpunk computer interface, but I've been watching a bit of Cowboy Bebop lately and I'm really liking the style of it's opening. I'm trying to incorporate the ideas from that, if I can nail it right I think it'll look pretty neat.

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2015, 07:36:00 PM »

Still Alive. Not to long ago we surpassed 20 minutes of cutscene footage. Getting closer every day.

Final Cutscene Preview:

Ouch.

Ruxar
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: May 23, 2015, 12:30:27 AM »

Looks great, the style seems a bit different to the other ones you've previewed so far. Looks a bit more skectchy, rather than pixely?

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 23, 2015, 09:05:05 PM »

Looks great, the style seems a bit different to the other ones you've previewed so far. Looks a bit more skectchy, rather than pixely?

Thanks Ruxar! To answer about the style: The last few cutscenes have a bunch of sakuga animations (a term from anime that denotes parts where every frame is animated). In anime, it's not uncommon for the style to shift a bit during those to accommodate for the fluidity and to add emphasis to the scene (sometimes looser lines, different or less shading). We still use conventional pixel style and tricks of panning and still shots for a majority of our cutscenes, these bits are there to add more impact to certain parts and it actually fits really well in context.

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: June 04, 2015, 05:31:53 AM »

FINAL MASTER SPY CUTSCENE IS IN.

It's just under 5 minutes long and is pure awesome.

Super pumped for you all to see this.

I'll have to look at the total times of previous cutscenes, but I believe this puts us somewhere around 25 minutes of cutscenes. That's almost like an entire episode of anime hidden in our game, which is pretty cool to me.
-Kris

bauer
Level 1

Codes games & makes music

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: June 04, 2015, 05:49:24 AM »

Great work, the cutscenes look super cool!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: June 04, 2015, 07:31:04 AM »

I didn't know this had a thread. I follow this game on tumblr. I forgot if I found the tumblr link from this site or not. Anyway, checking out the demo now. Grin

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2015, 08:35:19 AM »

Great work, the cutscenes look super cool!

Thanks Mike! John has put a TON of time and work into them Smiley

I didn't know this had a thread. I follow this game on tumblr. I forgot if I found the tumblr link from this site or not. Anyway, checking out the demo now. Grin

Thanks for following! I've not updated either as much as I would have liked in the recent months - a mix of being busy putting things together and working on things that would be a spoiler if we posted. Look for that to ramp up in the coming months as we prepare to release! Demo works best in Chrome, though recent updates in Chrome haven't been super nice! Hope you enjoy it!

-Kris

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #94 on: June 04, 2015, 09:26:36 AM »

Thanks for the response. Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: June 08, 2015, 07:49:46 AM »

After contemplating this for a while, we've decided we're going to include a "Novice Mode" in Master Spy that includes in-level checkpoints. Originally I thought we wouldn't need them, as there's a way (menu screen code!) to unlock all the levels temporarily in the Time Trial mode for those who wanted to check out different levels, but with the amount of cool stuff that happens in cutscenes later on in the game, I don't want less-skilled players to feel like they are missing out.

I think the game will still be a challenge with check points, but ultimately I hope it opens the game up for more people to be able to play through and beat. For those who want a real challenge, the normal mode without checkpoints will still be default. And if they manage to beat normal mode, they unlock the limited visibility Blind Master mode!

Any thoughts on this?

-Kris

TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2015, 09:10:54 PM »

Novice Mode is now in the game! I might have to tweak some of checkpoint placements, but it will allow the player to tackle the tough parts individually. This will hopefully allow more people to beat the game and enjoy the later cutscenes. Here's a checkpoint (the dossier) in action:

I also just went through and added an option to turn off screenshake. There's only a couple instances where screenshake is implemented (crushers in the factory levels, getting hit by things like TIGERS), but if there's a chance it could give you headaches or you just don't like it, you have control over it now!

-Kris

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2015, 03:50:56 AM »

Looks really entertaining and the art is awesome.

turnA
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2015, 04:36:32 AM »

The environment looks beautiful and very intricate! Quite hooked by that Tiger gif lol :D
Can't wait to test the actual gameplay by myself.
TurboGun
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »

Looks really entertaining and the art is awesome.

Thank you!

The environment looks beautiful and very intricate! Quite hooked by that Tiger gif lol :D
Can't wait to test the actual gameplay by myself.

Thanks! John did each and every background in photoshop, so they're all custom made/no tiles (some copy + paste where it made sense).
Can't wait to release the tigers on the public myself Smiley

-Kris

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic