Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411953 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58482 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 12, 2024, 10:16:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingCode Name : RED vs BLUE - Alpha version
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Code Name : RED vs BLUE - Alpha version  (Read 534 times)
monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« on: January 15, 2014, 08:25:30 AM »

I've been making this game for a while now. I'm still not sure whether to drop it or continue it (or drop it by finishing it somehow)..

I'll be glad if you could provide me with your humble suggestions/ feedback that you think might make game better, even if it is a too small one.

This is a finite runner featuring single player & co-op playing modes. A One button skill based game. Play it if you like playing this kind of games.

Play it on : http://gamejolt.com/dashboard/developer/games/view/21279/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2014, 03:54:02 AM by monsterkillu » Logged

Monster Brain Games (c)

Play Test : A Puzzle Journey : Puzzle Platformer for android - Play Test Demo

Checkout my games on PlayStore - [url=http://bit.ly/mb
frik
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 09:14:14 AM »

Wow, nice game!  Smiley

An indicator that shows the distance between player A and B in meter or rainbow-color line, etc. would help a lot. Or which player is currently the leader.

One of the first coins was stuck in a block, an un-reachable location.

What happens if both player finish at the same time? I think in my case there was no "Winner" text and just a "Continue" or "Restart" screen (but I am not sure anymore).

The music is a bit boring but relaxing.

Hint: create an animated GIF and replace the static JPEG preview picture so that forum visitors instantly get the game idea Wink
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 01:53:56 AM »

It's a decent game, although the name instantly made me think it was going to be Halo-themed.

My only big suggestion would be to give the player far more control. The jump was so floaty that I couldn't really plan ahead because by the time an obstacle showed up, I was already in the air heading for it.

I feel like the game should have stronger gravity and/or the character should jump higher/lower depending on how long I hold the jump button. Another thing I kept wanting was for the button to make the character fall faster when pressed in the air, but I'm not sure if that should be in addition to gravity and variable jump height, or instead of them.  It really depends on the feeling you're going for and might take some more play-testing.

Also, at least one wall (in level 2) seems unavoidable, which is a bit annoying. It should be the player's fault if they hit a wall, not the level's.

Two issues that aren't as design-related:

-The music loop is very short. Considering the levels aren't that long, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a music track that lasts the entire run.

-Easy mode seems so easy that I'm not sure it's even worth having in the game. I didn't try the other difficulties because of the lack of jump control.

I also agree with frik's suggestions.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 03:59:43 AM »

Wow, nice game!  Smiley

An indicator that shows the distance between player A and B in meter or rainbow-color line, etc. would help a lot. Or which player is currently the leader............
.................Hint: create an animated GIF and replace the static JPEG preview picture so that forum visitors instantly get the game idea Wink

Thanks for your fantastic feedback ... As you mentioned a GIF is deployed Smiley.

Coins aren't implemented yet .. Those were just in testing phase !!

If both finish at same time, i actually implemented a ITS A TIE screen ...!! Don't know what happened, i'll look into it.. Actually a difference of less than 4 pixels is considered a TIE ...

Music is also a placeholder one .. Looking for good ones ..

Indicator showing difference in distance .. I had in mind but i've yet to implement it.. Will test it by implementing it without affecting the simplicity & the gameplay somehow..

Thanks for your feedback Smiley

Monster Brain Games (c)

monsterkillu
Level 0

An Indie from India

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2014, 04:06:17 AM »

It's a decent game, although the name instantly made me think it was going to be Halo-themed.
My only big suggestion would be to give the player far more control. The jump was so floaty that I couldn't really plan ahead because by the time an obstacle showed up, I was already in the air heading for it.
I feel like the game should have stronger gravity and/or the character should jump higher/lower depending on how long I hold the jump button. Another thing I kept wanting was for the button to make the character fall faster when pressed in the air, but I'm not sure if that should be in addition to gravity and variable jump height, or instead of them.  It really depends on the feeling you're going for and might take some more play-testing.
Also, at least one wall (in level 2) seems unavoidable, which is a bit annoying. It should be the player's fault if they hit a wall, not the level's.

Two issues that aren't as design-related:
-The music loop is very short. Considering the levels aren't that long, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a music track that lasts the entire run.
-Easy mode seems so easy that I'm not sure it's even worth having in the game. I didn't try the other difficulties because of the lack of jump control.
I also agree with frik's suggestions.

Halo-themed  Smiley .. Its just a codename... If i'm to name it RVB it won't appear in search engines for centuries Smiley

-"jump higher/lower depending on how long I hold the jump button" .. That's a neat suggestion .. I will try that one ..

& will also look into changing the gravity & stuffs..I wanted to keep the rules simple that's why i did that way ..Don't know how the players react to it ...Smiley

(in level 2) seems unavoidable .. yes .. many of them were intentional ..(since both players are likely to encounter it, its a fifty fifty .. i think) ..Will look more into it..

I too felt easy mode was too easy (AI is so Dumb).. Maybe i'll retain only medium & hard mode i guess...

Thanks for the hell lot of constructive feedbacks .. & for giving me a lot more to work on..

Monster Brain Games (c)

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic