Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411990 Posts in 69441 Topics- by 58486 Members - Latest Member: Fuimus

June 17, 2024, 12:18:46 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Tile-map library
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Tile-map library  (Read 3531 times)
mirosurabu
« on: December 11, 2008, 04:33:29 PM »

Is there any solid and free library which comes with more universal editor for manipulating 2D layered tile-based maps? I am too lazy to write one myself. Especially lazy to write an editor.

I've been using tegel for my CPB entry. It's solid library, has somewhat good editor, but unfortunately I had to separate object-data from the main map because what it offered wasn't enough to satisfy my object-data requirements. And it's pain in the ass to put objects on the map using text files.
Bad Sector
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 06:03:08 PM »

Check out my Mapas editor. Its not a library but has an easy to read and use fileformat (and in the site you can find two libraries - one for java called STTD and one for C called badcfg - which can parse and read these files and generate a nice tree structure from them... although you'll need to "parse" that tree by yourself). Also it contains two exporter plugins which use even simpler formats (one uses basically a simplified format that contains almost everything a regular .mapas file contain but in an easier to parse syntax and the other uses tile names and contains only these, but can be used as a base for your own plugins).

~bs~
Hajo
Level 5

Dream Mechanic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 01:23:45 AM »

Tiled is nice, too. Open source, java:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/tiled/

Per aspera ad astra
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 01:43:41 AM »

I highly recommend Mappy!

I've used it for a number of games. We ended up writing a custom exporter which exported the timemaps in a format that we could plug directly into our game, so it was very streamlined when in full production.

twitter: @docky
siiseli
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:48:41 AM »

The first thing I made in c++ was my own tile-library-thing. It's not hard and not too much work to do it yourself. But I recommend mappy if you're lazy as shit.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2008, 12:34:03 AM »

Yeah, it's not hard work.  And you can tailor it to your game's specific needs.

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 01:33:14 AM »

I found myself using Mappy last night just to test whether a tileset of mine would work seamlessly. It was handy because it allows me to zoom in and out, so I could check the pixels were lining up perfectly.

I also like that Mappy has the function to export a BMP file of your entire map. This is often gigantic of course, but very useful. We often use it to print out our levels on several sheets of A3 to plan things out further.

Of course, writing your own tile editor is always preferable. Smiley Depends on your game really. I'm an artist more than a coder though, so I tend to avoid re-inventing the wheel whenever possible in order to get work done quickly.

twitter: @docky
Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 03:13:27 AM »

I use Mappy as well. It's a little clunky, but it gets the job done.
8bitRocket has an XML exporter for it if you need that sort of thing.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2008, 09:40:47 AM »

Are there any good tile-based libraries out for AS3 yet?  I've started working on one, but there's a good chance that I'll get distracted before I finish it.
Kneecaps
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2009, 06:02:15 PM »

Bump because I would like my question answered, but do not want to make a new thread.
magnum_opus
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2009, 09:13:40 PM »

http://tilestudio.sourceforge.net/ has a haxe exporter which can probably be used to jury rig something for straight AS

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic