Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411490 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 02:42:48 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesMolyneux: 'Enjoy the indie craze, because it won't last'
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Author Topic: Molyneux: 'Enjoy the indie craze, because it won't last'  (Read 9242 times)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: May 02, 2014, 08:23:43 AM »

if you aren't old enough, you may not realize just how big sf2 as a phenomenon was -- there was like literally a cabinet in every store back then. there was one across my street, another a block away, another next door to that, etc., they were everywhere. they also made more than enough money from them to justify 700m spent on manufacturing cabinets.

Don't forget the cost of manufacturing the millions of console port carts that came out for SNES and Genesis ..

so in general it's true that newer games cost more, on average. but it's not as steep of an increase as you'd expect (ps2 games cost only slightly more to make than ps1 games, going from an average of 700k to an average of 800k, not several times more; it's a slow gradual increase). and the extreme outliers in high costs often took place in the 90s, not the modern day.

What's it going to take to get AAA developers to start innovating again?  I don't think it's going to happen any time soon, indies don't have to worry about a sudden influx of innovative/creative AAA games ..
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: May 02, 2014, 08:43:54 AM »

In the context of a discussion about risk, what matters primarily is how much is spent before the game is proven in the market.  To the extent that those large manufacturing costs for sf2 and other older games were paid after the game was already successful (e.g. in second or later printing/production runs), they aren't relevant to the risk aversion point Darren was making.  I think what you really want to get at (though I don't know if it's possible) is cost of development + the initial print run and initial marketing campaign.

in any case, that wiki also says that the *average* development costs by console generation have gone up.

Xbox - 202 million yen ($1.8 million) / 13 titles
PlayStation 2 - 96 million yen ($877,634) / 194 titles
GameCube - 90 million yen ($822,857) / 11 titles
PlayStation Portable - 90 million yen ($822,857) / 6 titles
PlayStation - 80 million yen ($731,429) / 1 title
Game Boy Advance - 53 million yen ($484,571) / 47 titles
DS - 37 million yen ($338,286) / 3 titles
Dreamcast - 25 million yen ($228,571) / 2 titles
That's from 2005; the 2012 update to that (right below on the same page) says, generically, "In 2012, the ESA (Entertainment Software Association) of Canada gave the average development costs for various platforms as follows: [2]

Console - $8,728,125" - http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/Video_game_costs
So, based on that, from ps2 era to ps3 era console development you basically have an order of magnitude spike in console game development cost. (edit -- Some caveats: It is unclear what games are included in the 'console' category, and unclear if the methodology of the two studies is comparable.  Also, remember to adjust for inflation.  Also, keep in mind that averages are very sensitive to outliers, and there are huge outliers in AAA game dev [like GTA 5 having a $265 million budget].)

edit: some more scattered data points: http://kotaku.com/how-much-does-it-cost-to-make-a-big-video-game-1501413649
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 08:59:25 AM by Zaphos » Logged

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
medieval
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2014, 09:18:10 AM »

small-time creators and innovators start something different from what is out there  -->  gain exposure, business is good --> what was small-time is now an industry --> small-time creators and innovators start something different from what is out there  -->  ∞

this doesn't apply to everything but it's what I believe happened to indie games
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2014, 10:21:27 AM »

The things is that middle tier AAA game died, there is only a quarter of AAA studio left, but the middle tier is quickly coming back through indies and crowfunding (and other alt publishing/funding method). I don't believe AAA is weakening, they survive by actually drinking the blood of indie's innovation to survive by tossing money at any gameplay that is easy to replicate and have some success.

Kinaetron
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2014, 10:42:58 AM »

Thanks Zaphos for making my point much better than I could manage.

The things is that middle tier AAA game died, there is only a quarter of AAA studio left, but the middle tier is quickly coming back through indies and crowfunding (and other alt publishing/funding method). I don't believe AAA is weakening, they survive by actually drinking the blood of indie's innovation to survive by tossing money at any gameplay that is easy to replicate and have some success.

I do agree with this, but with the slow turnaround with games couple with the risk aversion thing, those gameplay innovations will take a long arse time to be implemented by AAA.

Life sucks and then you die.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2014, 04:05:29 PM »

More thought about AAA
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=812191 (second quote)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2014, 06:18:42 AM »

i think gamers are part of the problem with the AAA situation tbh. if people stopped preordering games, buying into ridiculous hype campaigns and taking metacritic seriously, the playing field would be a little more even and "lesser" games (in terms of commercial appeal) would get more of a chance.

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2014, 06:52:40 AM »

The guy has a point - Molyneux. At some point indie developers will want to go to bigger budgets.

Though he's kind of blaming his lack of innovative product on money-men.

Sinclair, to your point, the problem you are describing exists in all markets. The sheeple buy the animal-feed. So companies fight for mind share with products. Either we eliminate global ignorance, fight ourselves, or wait.
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2014, 07:20:20 AM »

The guy has a point - Molyneux. At some point indie developers will want to go to bigger budgets.

That's not really a point. That's an unsubstantiated claim. I don't think most indie developers want bigger budgets -- I think they would just like to be able to make a living doing what they're doing.

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2014, 07:22:43 AM »

graham:
difference is "gamers" (as in "core gamers") are "experts" in their chosen hobby and love to talk about what "critical consumers" they are
« Last Edit: May 12, 2014, 07:27:57 AM by C.A. Silbereisen » Logged
Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 12, 2014, 07:23:42 AM »

That's not really a point. That's an unsubstantiated claim. I don't think most indie developers want bigger budgets -- I think they would just like to be able to make a living doing what they're doing.

hahah.

yes, I know a lot of indie developers will stay indie at heart forever, but saying most is tricky. money changes people.

difference is "gamers" (as in "core gamers") are "experts" in their chosen hobby and love to talk about what "critical consumers" they are

oh. well, yes there is some hypocrisy there.
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 12, 2014, 08:29:57 AM »

I'm still waiting to see this flock of angel investors, who want to swoop down and corrupt all the indies with their promises of filthy lucre.
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 12, 2014, 08:38:38 AM »

https://www.kickstarter.com/
Christian Knudsen
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 12, 2014, 09:56:47 AM »

Hand ClapGiggle

Laserbrain Studios
Currently working on Hidden Asset (TIGSource DevLog)
Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 12, 2014, 10:54:00 AM »

Kickstarter is going to ensure indie sticks around for a lot longer.  I don't see it dying down any time soon.  Maybe if the only option were angel investors, but let's face it, that hardly ever happens to begin with.

Truly the thread has come full circle.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 12, 2014, 11:14:14 AM »

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/RaphKoster/20140507/217242/The_Financial_Future_of_Game_Developers.php

RAPH KOSTER join the race

Graham-
Level 10

ftw

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 12, 2014, 11:44:03 AM »

He bitches a little bit about "the man," but you know, Koster is lovable.
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2014, 09:54:25 AM »

HUGE analysis by danc

http://gamasutra.com/blogs/DanielCook/20140528/218659/How_art_games_are_shaped_by_economics.php

Udderdude
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2014, 07:12:30 AM »

Nice analysis on making the best of what you've got ..
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic