Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 12:31:07 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 146125 times)
Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2009, 03:57:30 AM »

OK, so I've played this build a bit more now, so here's some simple thoughts;

First, the controls are great, as said before, but i think its important to say that this game really brings back the feeling of older games where when you mess up, you know its your fault, a lack of skill, rather than a bug in the game.  I'm yet to find issue with the general movement.

Secondly, I'm finding loads of new moves, Guy really is such a great little character!  Its a real joy to have such nice quality animation in a retro wrapper.

I've noticed a hell of a lot of extra spit and polish over the previous builds, even within the M2 revision, this REALLY bodes well for the future!  Sounds especially are both charming and contextually well suited.

Its HARD.  Heh, maybe i've been playing too much of the new Prince of Persia (which is AWESOME,) but BQ is really skill based and i'm finding some of it a lot harder than i'd like.  This of course will be fixed with attention to the level progression that comes with a final game,  but it ensures a challenge is certainly possible! :s

In the front page post, Brandon linked the original design doc that Arne drew up.  I'd not seen it before, but it helped me understand the game a little better, perhaps a shortcut to that page can be packaged with the game?  I really like the level screen, is that going to be in the full game?  Is the full game going to follow the level themes set out in the doc?

Now to my only gripe, and really, its perhaps not even valid at this point, but i would like to see some sort of playable or visually selectable ingame way of choosing a level to play.  Using the keyboard to press F5 and then choosing a level isn't apparent to people who ignore the readme, and i know they should, but i bet a majority don't!

Anyway, to cap it off, WELL DONE Brandon, this really is awesome, keep up the good work!

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Widget
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2009, 05:15:45 AM »

Quote from: Gravius
Now to my only gripe, and really, its perhaps not even valid at this point, but i would like to see some sort of playable or visually selectable ingame way of choosing a level to play.  Using the keyboard to press F5 and then choosing a level isn't apparent to people who ignore the readme, and i know they should, but i bet a majority don't!

The game itself will use the nonlinear level progression shown by the (very rough) map you can find in one of the earlier threads, iirc - in other words it's probably "not even valid at this point"  Wink
The ultimate level select mechanism has been fully(ish?) thought out and the method in the M2 build is something Brandon put together for playtesting his and others' maps (unless I've misunderstood  Tongue)
Mr Dumle
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2009, 09:20:42 AM »

Heres some critisim.
Aren't baldo a little slow for a platform game?
I can see how it works for puzzles though, but then again there wouldn't be a point to have a character at all if there's only puzzles imo.
The slowness of it all seems to fit a mysterious exploration game better.

What I like about it so far is how polished the engine is. Also the animations are great! Keep up the good work guys!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 07, 2009, 10:38:09 AM »

Nah, the "slowness" is all relative.  Play BQ a while and you won't even notice it.

Yeah, it is important for puzzles, but beyond that, if the character were faster the game would play much more differently than you might expect.

It'll make more sense as more abilities and items and stuff are added.  Smiley

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: January 07, 2009, 10:53:54 AM »

Slowness is needed for complexity of gameplay.

Play some of xion's levels, they're so rich with detail and small stuffs, you totally need to have a character whose movement can be controlled methodically.

Also I am totally thinking that it'd be possible to have levels with pick-ups that make you move swifter, etc! O:
Radiant
Level 1

...and we are the Dreamers of Dreams.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #125 on: January 07, 2009, 10:55:27 AM »

Yep, it works for me now.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 07, 2009, 10:58:16 AM »

Also I am totally thinking that it'd be possible to have levels with pick-ups that make you move swifter, etc! O:

Yeah, definitely!  Many of the objects and items will aid Guy in traversing the play field.

And yeah, precise controls are very necessary for this time of game (at least, for the type of game this will become).  I'm glad someone understands!  Wink

Yep, it works for me now.

Perfect!  Good news. Grin

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: January 07, 2009, 11:18:19 AM »

Well, finally I have to add my 50 cent to this whole project - being a bit biased, coming from the Indie Brawl gang and all. *snapsfingerswestsidestorystyle*

But since there must be room for more than one big community project on TIGSource, I've come as an ambassador of open borders, love and respect!  Gentleman

I haven't played BQ enough yet, to give some worthwhile feedback (except maybe that it took my unskilled ass about ten tries to get half-way through that warehouse level), but I still want to express my respect and awe of - first hand -  Brandon, because I admire how you brought back BQ from the near grave with such a bang!
As mentioned somewhere else, I had almost lost my hopes for BQ already and all of a sudden, it's all there: a new milestone build, a (semi-complete) scripting guide, a level editor, all those base blocks offering some really cool possibilites to the community to work with. And in such a high quality, too!

Well, all I'm trying to say is: keep up the great work! You really are a role model for the whole community and one of those people that makes TIGSource great!

Ok, I'm off to my gang again, giving you that nasty look as you pass. *snap*  *snap*  *snap*  Cool

[EDIT]
Oh, I'm sorry, in my praise of BMcC, I totally forgot to mention the deeds of the community! It's awesome how much was contributed! TIGSource is the only community I know where projects like these really come together! You guys are top!  Beer!
[/EDIT]
« Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 11:23:45 AM by Kovski » Logged

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #128 on: January 07, 2009, 12:20:20 PM »

Widget: Forgot to say, you're spot on!  It's warms me heart to see new members taking the time to research this stuff themselves. Hand Thumbs Up Right

... Its HARD.  Heh, maybe i've been playing too much of the new Prince of Persia (which is AWESOME,) but BQ is really skill based and i'm finding some of it a lot harder than i'd like.  This of course will be fixed with attention to the level progression that comes with a final game,  but it ensures a challenge is certainly possible! ...
Yeah... with the new abilities, filled out objects, and the move toward more puzzle-based gameplay the frustration should disappear.  But word, it can be pretty tough at the moment!  (Also, the first round of community-made maps tend to be more platformer-oriented.)

... In the front page post, Brandon linked the original design doc that Arne drew up.  I'd not seen it before, but it helped me understand the game a little better, perhaps a shortcut to that page can be packaged with the game?  I really like the level screen, is that going to be in the full game?  Is the full game going to follow the level themes set out in the doc? ...
I'd like to greatly expand the Home screen for the final game.  Have treasures you collect and such show up there.

And, no, the themes in the design concept are not hard and fast.  I think we should try and create as many themes as possible, variate them, then see which ones best fit the Story Mode of the finished game.  (Then fill those out.)

... Now to my only gripe, and really, its perhaps not even valid at this point, but i would like to see some sort of playable or visually selectable ingame way of choosing a level to play.  Using the keyboard to press F5 and then choosing a level isn't apparent to people who ignore the readme, and i know they should, but i bet a majority don't! ...
Like Widget said, there's going to be a branching Map Screen for the final game.  I would like to implement a basic version of this in a future update, ASAP.  (Likely for the big 1.1 update.)

I'm glad this many people have read the readme, though!  It worries me so, releasing it publicly and all.

Thanks so much for the feedback, man. Smiley

... Well, all I'm trying to say is: keep up the great work! You really are a role model for the whole community and one of those people that makes TIGSource great!

Ok, I'm off to my gang again, giving you that nasty look as you pass. *snap*  *snap*  *snap*  Cool ...
Wow, thank you! Grin

But there's no need for there to be gangs!  People can easily (and should!) contribute to both.  I'll probably do this myself...

I do have some controversial ideas on how to unify the projects, but I'm wary of upsetting people. Droop

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #129 on: January 07, 2009, 02:52:32 PM »

I really, really like the controls. It's obvious they got a lot of attention, and it was totally worth it! The only thing that feels a bit awkward or counterintuitive in my opinion is when we drop into a ledge grab in a cell that borders two ledges. The way we switch which ledge we're gripping seems a little clunky. I'm not sure what to suggest. Is a splay-legged double grab animation a tall order? Would that be inelegant?

Anyway I'd be happy to contibute some sprites at some point! I'll make a point of dropping by the dev. threads from time to time.

Oh, I really like the yellow warehouse tileset, the character animation, and the music too! Whoever made them makes me very happy.
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #130 on: January 07, 2009, 03:32:52 PM »

I love this! For some reason it makes me think of Amstrad CPC games, despite the fact that I never owned an Amstrad (Spectrum and C64 here). I just played through Warehouse Example 02 and completed it. The jump from the moving platform seemed a bit peculiar, but otherwise the gameplay was sound. I love the controls and animation, and it definitely evokes the similar sensations of playing games in the eighties... when you have to redo the whole level again! XD This is very wonderful.

twitter: @docky
Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 07, 2009, 03:37:39 PM »

My only real problem with this game is that Guy can fight into extremely cramped spaces without any trouble. He's two tiles tall, but he can fight into any single-tile space he wants to. It just doesn't work for me, for some reason. Epileptic
Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 07, 2009, 03:59:27 PM »

My only real problem with this game is that Guy can fight into extremely cramped spaces without any trouble. He's two tiles tall, but he can fight into any single-tile space he wants to. It just doesn't work for me, for some reason. Epileptic
Fight into?

Also, human beings can squeeze into a ball less than half their height. Seems fine here too.

twitter: @docky
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: January 07, 2009, 05:29:40 PM »

I really, really like the controls. It's obvious they got a lot of attention, and it was totally worth it! The only thing that feels a bit awkward or counterintuitive in my opinion is when we drop into a ledge grab in a cell that borders two ledges. The way we switch which ledge we're gripping seems a little clunky. I'm not sure what to suggest. Is a splay-legged double grab animation a tall order? Would that be inelegant?

Hm, I dunno what to say... you only have to press left or right to change ledges!  The kung-fu wall thing would be cool, but I don't think it'd make much of a difference, control-wise.

Anyway I'd be happy to contibute some sprites at some point! I'll make a point of dropping by the dev. threads from time to time.

Oh, I really like the yellow warehouse tileset, the character animation, and the music too! Whoever made them makes me very happy.

Awesome, please do!

The Yellow Warehouse is Arne's original tileset, Xion did the majority of the animations (Bezzy did the climbing animation, though!), and I did the music.  Smiley

... This is very wonderful.

Haha, thanks!  Yeah, the platform stuff is hacked in at the moment.  It'll be fixed in an update soon.

You mean "fit?"  That's one of the best things about the game! Huh?

You just have to accept that he's a squishy little dude.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2009, 01:58:45 PM »

Current news:

Based on all the new feedback I've received, the next build will include a number of improvements to the tools and editor, a greater degree of user friendliness, and, of course, more generalized objects and abilities for Guy.  Wink

I'll make a To Do list tonight.

You are encouraged to request anything you'd like to see done sooner rather than later!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2009, 05:09:23 PM »

I would like to see more AWESOME

Only because there's already so much.

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2009, 05:31:26 PM »

Current news:

Based on all the new feedback I've received, the next build will include a number of improvements to the tools and editor, a greater degree of user friendliness, and, of course, more generalized objects and abilities for Guy.  Wink

I'll make a To Do list tonight.

You are encouraged to request anything you'd like to see done sooner rather than later!  Hand Thumbs Up Right

I would like to see a generic Item type class. Like a PICKUP script or something. It should work so that all pickupable items have a sprite/animation and a "use" function, which you can change to anything you want.

Right now, I'm not really sure how the monocle works... I think it's even coded into Guy's script? Shrug
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2009, 08:29:03 PM »

It is in Guy's script, yeah.  A generalized Item object is something I've definitely been meaning to do... just not 100% sure how I want to do it yet.  But if you want to make some items, I'll work on it! Wink

TideGear
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2009, 11:22:42 PM »

It is in Guy's script, yeah.  A generalized Item object is something I've definitely been meaning to do... just not 100% sure how I want to do it yet.  But if you want to make some items, I'll work on it! Wink

Perhaps the monocle could give you hints on how objects might behave before you touch or use them?
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 10, 2009, 12:17:29 AM »

Yeah, definitely.  User-friendliness is a bit down the line, but it's worth working in. Hand Thumbs Up Right

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic