Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 01:58:17 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 146127 times)
rz.
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 11, 2009, 07:53:11 AM »

hell yes.
i love you BMcC
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: January 11, 2009, 04:51:42 PM »

Rz.!  My love for you is like a truck!

It's good to see you 'round here, man. Tears of Joy

Krux
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2009, 06:45:48 AM »

I have testet it with wine. It works, but lightning traps are invisible. Its luck weather you survive or not.
Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2009, 07:44:43 AM »

Good idea to test it on wine. I shall try it on beer next time!

Big Laff

sorry

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2009, 09:19:21 AM »

Yeah, I've heard that about running it on Wine...  I think it has something to do with The Bug that I need to fix.  Didn't used to run on Wine at all, though!

Kovski:  Ha, yes, the game was made on whiskey, so... Beer!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2009, 10:15:41 AM »

Hey!

I added a To Do list for myself for the next update (which I'll try and edit as I go along), as well as a General Community To Do list, which should give people an idea of what they can do to help, to the first post of the Development thread!

Let's do this! Hand Thumbs Up Left Hand Thumbs Up Right

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2009, 08:51:33 AM »

Hand Fork LeftWizardHand Knife Right

The game is looking great so far. The animations are very smooth, controls feel solid, and the gameplay feel is really nice. One room games are really out of style right now, and hopefully Balding's Quest will bring them back in a little.

One thing you have mentioned before is the level selection phase of the game being WIP, which will really improve the way the game plays in terms of solve this puzzle, advance level, solve this puzzle, advance level, etc. Any thoughts on how that's going to work more in-depth? or is that more in idea phase?

Also, customization for this thing seems like it could have a lot of potential. Maybe throw in a few extra outfits (see if you can get Derek to make a spelunky outfit or something), and unlockables, cause mah gahd indie game people love unlockables.

My only real problem with this game is that Guy can fight into extremely cramped spaces without any trouble. He's two tiles tall, but he can fight into any single-tile space he wants to. It just doesn't work for me, for some reason. Epileptic

not sure why this is a problem? If the game did not have animations between crouching & standing it would look awkward and hacky, but the animations are very smooth and make it feel much more natural. Plus it allows for puzzles to be very interesting, as you jump towards a ledge, climb up, worm crawl, and move on. Also, worm crawling = potential for contra spike traps of death!

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2009, 09:34:23 AM »

Cthulhu32: Hey, thanks! Grin

Yeah, the final game will have a non-linear branching Map Screen.  I'd like to get in a WIP version real soon.  It'll make things more friendly for people new to the project.

Unlockables, yes!  There's going to be a ton of hidden stuff in the final game, but that's a while from now.  Wink

Everyone: I'm thinking of porting BQ to SDL + OpenGL!
Thoughts?  Comments?

...Help? Shocked

Valter
Level 10

kekekekeke

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2009, 09:40:57 AM »

My only real problem with this game is that Guy can fight into extremely cramped spaces without any trouble. He's two tiles tall, but he can fight into any single-tile space he wants to. It just doesn't work for me, for some reason. Epileptic

not sure why this is a problem? If the game did not have animations between crouching & standing it would look awkward and hacky, but the animations are very smooth and make it feel much more natural. Plus it allows for puzzles to be very interesting, as you jump towards a ledge, climb up, worm crawl, and move on. Also, worm crawling = potential for contra spike traps of death!

It's claustrophobic. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2009, 09:41:36 AM »

Haha, it's supposed to be!

increpare
« Reply #150 on: January 13, 2009, 12:11:33 PM »

Thoughts?  Comments?
any reasons in particular?

It shouldn't be that awful to do, though ... why has it crossed your mind that it'd be a good thing to do?
Bennett
Jinky Jonky and the Spell of the Advergamez 3
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 13, 2009, 12:45:00 PM »

I hope this foreshadows a Mac build.
Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #152 on: January 13, 2009, 12:50:24 PM »

Cthulhu32: Hey, thanks! Grin

Yeah, the final game will have a non-linear branching Map Screen.  I'd like to get in a WIP version real soon.  It'll make things more friendly for people new to the project.

Unlockables, yes!  There's going to be a ton of hidden stuff in the final game, but that's a while from now.  Wink

Thoughts?  Comments?

...Help? Shocked

Well, uh, why? What's it running on right now? It'd be easier to port, anyway.

Also, I was thinking of making an anti-gravity field or something. I dunno.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #153 on: January 13, 2009, 01:29:43 PM »

OpenGL + SDL = port to any system that has sdl running! Which includes all forms of computers, handheld homebrew, iphone (i think sdl was ported?), etc. So Balding's Quest PSP, Balding's Quest DS, Balding's Quest Xbox, etc.

Even though SDL is somewhat poorly written (could use a MAJOR rewrite one of these days, the threading is kinda not so great), the function layout is nice and it works great for these types of games.

Cthulhu32
Level 6

Brawp

View Profile WWW
« Reply #154 on: January 13, 2009, 02:27:56 PM »

It's claustrophobic. I just calls 'em like I sees 'em.

word, I can see how it feels claustrophobic. I also think that branching out the level design will help this a little bit as well, where you feel like you're progressing into a type of level, so like you start in the machine type levels, move towards lava, get to another type of level, and so on.

For example Altered Beast (funky example, but stay with me), you start out outside in the grave yard. You then move on to the inside of a swampy area, then to a cave, then to some old abandon ruins, and finally to the outside area where you fight the last boss. If the game was ONLY inside of caves and ruins, players would probably think "wtf, is my character a mole man?" but the connection of all the levels make it feel much better.

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 13, 2009, 03:13:46 PM »

OpenGL + SDL = port to any system that has sdl running! Which includes all forms of computers, handheld homebrew, iphone (i think sdl was ported?), etc. So Balding's Quest PSP, Balding's Quest DS, Balding's Quest Xbox, etc.

Well, you don't get OpenGL on all SDL-supported platforms.

Actually, have you considered SDL 1.3?  It's still in heavy development and not ready for general use yet, but so is BQ, and by the time it's done SDL 1.3 is probably out too.  1.3 supports hardware acceleration through either Direct3D or OpenGL transparently, and falls back to software when not available.  Or will, anyway Smiley.  The iphone port is for 1.3 btw (but requires commercial license since iphone is incompatible with the LGPL..  though this may not apply if BQ is open source?  I don't know)

Anyway, I love this game!  Reminds me of the torture screens in Creatures and Creatures II (the C64 games, not the unrelated PC games)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2009, 03:57:35 PM by mjau » Logged
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #156 on: January 13, 2009, 05:38:44 PM »

Thoughts?  Comments?

...Help? Shocked

Why?    WTF

The engine is great as it is, and its already portable. OpenGL will add nothing to this style of game.

Loren Schmidt
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #157 on: January 13, 2009, 07:19:37 PM »

Yah, BMcC, why go with OpenGL? It seems like it would just create extra dependencies for no reason.

SDL makes sense to me, if it would improve portability.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #158 on: January 14, 2009, 01:36:58 AM »

any reasons in particular?

It shouldn't be that awful to do, though ... why has it crossed your mind that it'd be a good thing to do?
Well, uh, why? What's it running on right now? It'd be easier to port, anyway.
Why?    WTF

The engine is great as it is, and its already portable. OpenGL will add nothing to this style of game.
Yah, BMcC, why go with OpenGL? It seems like it would just create extra dependencies for no reason.

SDL makes sense to me, if it would improve portability.
Haha, well, the OpenGL bit is less about BQ and more about my future projects.  This engine is heading in a good direction, I'm familiar with it, it's really solid...  But I want to use OpenGL for my next games.  Now, I could rip out the code I like from BQ and make a separate engine, but my thought is:  Refactor the BQ engine, optimize some bits, and add OpenGL and whatever else is missing from my "big" engine.  The benefit being that as I improve it for my other games, it'll also be improving BQ.  (And visa versa.)

If it were just for BQ, though, yeah, I wouldn't want to port it.  That's my biggest qualm, really -- I dig that BQ is "pure" 2D!

... Actually, have you considered SDL 1.3?  It's still in heavy development and not ready for general use yet, but so is BQ, and by the time it's done SDL 1.3 is probably out too.  1.3 supports hardware acceleration through either Direct3D or OpenGL transparently, and falls back to software when not available.  Or will, anyway Smiley.  The iphone port is for 1.3 btw (but requires commercial license since iphone is incompatible with the LGPL..  though this may not apply if BQ is open source?  I don't know)...
I have!  For those very reasons. Wink

But might it be too unstable?

Also, I was thinking of making an anti-gravity field or something. I dunno.
Do it! Hand Thumbs Up Right

I hope this foreshadows a Mac build.
Like Alec said, the engine is already portable enough for that.  But yeah, I need to get on that!

Gravious
Level 2

"Swedish meatballs"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: January 14, 2009, 02:15:02 AM »

I love SDL+OpenGL, so i say go for it! (as long as it doesn't slow development too much!)

One day I'll think about doing something to stop procrastinating.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic