Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 06:41:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Latest Download (Update! M2 v.1.0.6)  (Read 146123 times)
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: August 18, 2009, 08:56:39 AM »

In two weeks' time I'll be done work and back from vacation, so I could probably contribute some pixels then!

Formerly "I Like Cake."
JaJitsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: August 18, 2009, 09:19:55 AM »

I can help with pixels  Grin

Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 18, 2009, 10:16:07 AM »

I'd like to script some enemies and things, I'd just appreciate a brief tutorial outlining how to get started with something like that. Smiley

Also a list of enemies/objects that are needed and their expected behavior would make that more fun for me.

Lord Tim
Level 1

Overclocked to 20 MHz

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 18, 2009, 04:19:53 PM »

I'd like to help with scripting too. I can also do some small sprites if that helps more, though.
mike
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: August 19, 2009, 12:32:27 AM »

Are item effects/behaviors still strongly embedded in Guys code?

I'd be happy to do some scripting for items and enemies etc.
It would be handy to have a list of items and enemies required to get the core levels complete.
Are there still core levels?

My guess is that most of the enemy behavior will be similar across the stages, so probably not all that much needs doing there... right?

It's been a while since I've posted anything. I'm glad to see this project is still going on.  Grin
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 19, 2009, 03:09:47 AM »

There's a few things that would, in my eyes, make this project so much better. Firstly, more regular, unstable updates so people can see that this project is going somewhere, Secondly, a proper site for the game with nicely formatted tutorials and possibly some way to share levels. I think these would really drum up some enthusiasm for BQ.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: August 22, 2009, 07:41:22 AM »

Yo yo, y'all, I've been dealing with doctor stuff, sorry.  Taking the weekend off.  BUT I'll be back Monday, putting this feedback into action.  Thanks so much for the response! Hand Thumbs Up Right

The-Imp
« Reply #207 on: August 22, 2009, 04:31:46 PM »

As can I!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: August 24, 2009, 05:44:11 AM »

In two weeks' time I'll be done work and back from vacation, so I could probably contribute some pixels then!
As can I!
Awesome. Smiley  I'll make a list of what's most needed today!

I'd like to script some enemies and things, I'd just appreciate a brief tutorial outlining how to get started with something like that. Smiley

Also a list of enemies/objects that are needed and their expected behavior would make that more fun for me.
I'd like to help with scripting too. I can also do some small sprites if that helps more, though.
I'd be happy to do some scripting for items and enemies etc.
It would be handy to have a list of items and enemies required to get the core levels complete.
Yarr, I'll update the scripting guide and list out some core elements as well!

There's a few things that would, in my eyes, make this project so much better. Firstly, more regular, unstable updates so people can see that this project is going somewhere, Secondly, a proper site for the game with nicely formatted tutorials and possibly some way to share levels. I think these would really drum up some enthusiasm for BQ.
This is solid advice.  I'll work on getting an update out at the end of the week.  And I'll reformat the Milestone 3 main post with a more specific To Do list.  The tech is done -- I'm ready to focus on the game!

Are item effects/behaviors still strongly embedded in Guys code?
Yeah, they are.  Not sure how to abstract this sort of thing, his movement and logic are so intricate. Sad

But I'm thinking, for the sake of finishing the game solidly, he should have a smaller set of abilities that play out in interesting ways, rather than a bunch of different, specific items across the stages.  I wouldn't mind doing the items myself.  Enemies and objects would really help, though.  We need to start building a core set of baddies and traps and stuff that can be combined in interesting ways.

If any artists out there want to start designing global nemeses, that would be rad. Hand Thumbs Up Right

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 24, 2009, 05:13:41 PM »

Update:  Did a lot of coding today, and now I'm turning off the computer for the night.  At this rate I should be able to get the stuff for this update done by the end of the week.  But I was so absorbed I forgot to make the to do list!  So here's some stuff off the top of my head, if anyone can be bothered to do some art:

Tiles That Need Pixels
- A spike (or something) trap that springs after Guy has stood on it for a moment.
- A weight trigger for pushing boxes onto
- A conveyor belt, with the direction indicated
- Icy tiles

These could (should?) all be animated.  And 8x8 px wide.  Some (like the ice) could also stand to have corner, edge, and interior tiles, if you get what I mean.

Animations That Also Need Pixeling
- Guy picking up pickupables
- Guy standing, walking, jumping, and falling while holding a pickup
(I suppose over his head?  Could simply modify the existing animations.)
- Guy throwing said pickup
(Maybe all cartoon-like, with his feet coming off the ground?  That could work on the ground and in the air.)

These would all help a lot!

increpare
« Reply #210 on: August 24, 2009, 05:21:03 PM »

*happy to see bq picking up steam again*
Frog
Level 1

Eternal Being

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: August 24, 2009, 10:59:26 PM »

Definitely nice to see some solid work and community enthusiasm about BQ.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: August 25, 2009, 06:42:47 AM »

*happy to see bq picking up steam again*
Definitely nice to see some solid work and community enthusiasm about BQ.
Grin

Guy is picking up and carrying (and soon throwing) objects around now.  Making good time on this update.  The (BIG) tile index issue has also been solved, so the toggled and falling platforms and stuff behave properly with Guy's complex movement.

I still need pixels, though!

triptych
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 25, 2009, 02:53:22 PM »

I'm a complete newbie to this list, but I wanted to say that this is one of the first community projects I've seen in quite a while that has me really excited! Perhaps once the engine is ready for prime time we can run some compos and build up a great library of levels!
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: August 25, 2009, 03:57:38 PM »

we can run some compos and build up a great library of levels!

That's a great idea! It'd be a cool way to get people interested in the project.  Cool

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: August 26, 2009, 04:42:06 AM »

Aye, that would be really cool!  I'm working on adding a handful of gameplay elements.  That should be the next step after this update -- adding more enemies, traps, objects, and interactive stuff.  That way map makers who don't want to get into scripting will have a lot to work with.  After that a competition could work really well!

PROGRESS UPDATE:
  I spent most of yesterday noodling with collision code.  Fixed a quirk I guess I introduced when I was testing out angled terrain and stuff.  Anyway, Guy can throw around objects now.  Pretty neat.  Tongue

I've only got a little bit more to add for this update, but I really need pixels.  Bad.

The-Imp
« Reply #216 on: August 26, 2009, 10:20:00 AM »

I can't really do icy tiles well... But here's I made 2 days ago!

AuthenticKaizen
Freeware Ninja
Level 10

*Prestige Worldwide*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: August 26, 2009, 10:43:56 AM »

we can run some compos and build up a great library of levels!

That's a great idea! It'd be a cool way to get people interested in the project.  Cool
a really good idea indeed!  Gentleman

PixelProspector.com - the indie goldmine + Marketing Guide for Indie Game Developers             
“Knowing is not enough, you must apply; willing is not enough, you must do.” (Bruce Lee)
FishyBoy
Level 7

Make like a tree and get the hell out of here

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 26, 2009, 12:21:57 PM »

I'm not very good at this stuff, but I gave the conveyor belt a go:
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: August 26, 2009, 03:13:54 PM »

I can't really do icy tiles well... But here's I made 2 days ago!

Hey, cool, thanks!  Definitely good enough.  Smiley

I'm not very good at this stuff, but I gave the conveyor belt a go:

Ah, thank you, but I actually wound up piecing together the conveyors myself!  (Sorry!)

PROGRESS!  Pictured above: Working conveyor belts, poorly drawn disappearing ground tiles, red on/off toggle tiles, path-following platforms, keys that can be picked up and tossed around, projectile-shooting shooters, and switches, which hopefully you've seen.  Not pictured: Pretty big improvements to the collision detection and attack system, and further improvement to Guy's movement.  It's now more forgiving and handles some pretty crazy scenarios, which map makers should probably avoid anyway, but you never know!

It's actually starting to feel like a game. Grin

The level of simulation here is getting crazy.  I'm a bit amazed it somehow works so tightly.  Next up: More traps and tiles and objects.  And portals.

I'd also like to add the magnet and hairdryer by the end of the week, but there's a pixel drought.  (Annabelle made a gun animation that could definitely be adapted to this purpose...)  Where's Xion when you need him? Cry

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic