Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411524 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 05:54:54 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 95123 times)
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #160 on: February 01, 2009, 11:07:36 PM »

Did a lot of work on the script browser today. It's all pretty much done, and with the following advice from BMcC, I now read the animation files to find out the sprite dimensions. There is still plenty of work to do however.

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #161 on: February 02, 2009, 09:22:54 AM »

Whoa, right on.  Are you actually reading the script to see what animation file it loads?  Or just reading the animation files of the same name?

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #162 on: February 02, 2009, 11:14:03 AM »

At the moment I just read the animation file that has the same name. Perhaps it is more advisable for me to read the lua file to see what animation file it actually uses?

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: February 02, 2009, 06:00:44 PM »

It would be better, as the Global Objects have child scripts that change what animation file they use (for "re-skinning" boxes and such).  But I don't know how much of a pain that'd be for you...

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: February 03, 2009, 01:42:34 AM »

Yep, ok I've done that now. I now scan the lua file for two things, either a setupObject construct which I then extract the animation file name from, or from the child_animfile parameter. The child_animfile parameter has priority though, so I imagine if you were to write a script that used both, BqEd would peek into child_animfile first than to construct a setupObject table.

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #165 on: February 03, 2009, 08:51:00 AM »

Wow, excellent.  I'll make sure I always use "child_animfile" for the children!

For the children.
Panda

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #166 on: February 04, 2009, 12:50:48 AM »

You have a child_animfile?  I'm calling the feds. Hand Point LeftTigerHand Point Right
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 05, 2009, 03:23:16 PM »

Ok, Finally pretty much doneish on this forest tileset  Smiley :

It is here :http://sites.google.com/site/justicejonesbiz/, as Tiles_Forest, and TheWoods.

It's not really much of a level, It just demonstrates most of the elements.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #168 on: February 05, 2009, 05:04:55 PM »

Lovely, so lovely! Kiss

I recorded two records in the last 24 hours, then threw up today for no reason. Hand Metal Right

I think I'll try and stay in bed and do more programming this weekend. Coffee

Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 05, 2009, 05:56:27 PM »

Ok, Finally pretty much doneish on this forest tileset  Smiley :

It is here :http://sites.google.com/site/justicejonesbiz/, as Tiles_Forest, and TheWoods.

It's not really much of a level, It just demonstrates most of the elements.

OMG I love so many things about that tileset that I can't even begin to describe! Frankly, every little tile there is awesome. I can't wait to see the kinds of levels that come out of this! (the pikes, the branches, the green dude, the underground skull, is that an owl? picking up little moons and stars, everything wow)

Hm, maybe the interior of the trees (the part where you can pass through) could have a bit more texture? It contrasts a bit with the rest; since everything has texture all over, that piece comes out a little plain-looking. But if you leave it like that it's still cool Smiley Congrats!
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #170 on: February 06, 2009, 02:21:28 AM »

After building the library for handling the scripts section of Balding's Quest, I finally added the ability to add scripts into the map. Looks like everything turned out quite alright there.

There's still the matter of building the toolsets for the scripts however as even though you can add them, there is no way to alter them from that point. You can't move them, delete them or anything like that. So that is the next task of my list of a rather large to do (which is thankfully getting smaller).

I also cleaned up the context menu by making sure it was context sensitive to what you were right clicking on. Theres no point to add the 'edit' and 'properties' menu options if your not right clicking on a selected part, nor is there any point to add a select part if you are already right clicking on a selected area.

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #171 on: February 06, 2009, 03:04:45 PM »

Nice work! Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right Hand Thumbs Up Right

I dunno if you even need to bother with a script editor, either... Notepad++ is free and has LUA formatting already.

Maybe BQed could open the the scripts with whatever's set to open files with the .lua extension?

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #172 on: February 07, 2009, 01:36:45 AM »

I think to prevent myself from reinventing the wheel, I'll just make it open script files in another application of your choice.

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: February 07, 2009, 08:14:56 AM »

Cool, sounds good.  Smiley

In other news, I am sick and doped-up beyond belief right now.

Jotaf
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2009, 10:18:22 AM »

Hey you should drop the dope some day. I hear it's bad for you Tongue Get well mate, you're needed! Think of the children!
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #175 on: February 09, 2009, 09:15:18 AM »

Hehe, I'm feeling significantly better, but now my wife's sick. Sad

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: February 10, 2009, 03:16:19 AM »

I worked a lot on the selection code today. It's not particularly easy to do all the logic to handle area box selection, alt & control switches (hold alt to remove, hold control to add) ... but I think I got it all working properly. I suppose when people try it out they can complain to me about it.

I also got the level loading finally done as well. It seems that I have a few problems with my script loading, either it isn't parsing properly, or it's not placing them properly, or I made the wrong assumption with how things are placed. I don't know, I suppose I'll have to debug it to figure it out. (I assumed that objects are center aligned, so a 16x16 script sprite has a positional center of 8x8. It seems to work for a few items, but a few others it doesn't work ... so more debugging is required, unless of course, BMcC could help me out here).

Otherwise, a few more things were done behind the scenes which probably won't really interest anybody.

I like turtles.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: February 10, 2009, 03:31:30 AM »

Ahh fixed it, it had to do with the fact I was renaming the script files internally to more friendly readable names. This caused the look up to go funny since it was looking for exact characters. So it looks like my assumptions were all correct.  Smiley

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: February 10, 2009, 08:23:47 AM »

Right on!  Are you also aware of the offset in the animation file?

Also: I can't wait to be able to select groups of tiles, haha.  (And ROTATE them??)

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: February 10, 2009, 10:52:53 AM »

So,

Box01
9 9 0 0

9 9 is the size of the sprite,
0 0 is the offset?

I like turtles.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 16
Print