Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411523 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:50:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 3 Development  (Read 95103 times)
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #180 on: February 10, 2009, 11:49:55 AM »

Yessir! Smiley

The sprites are centered, like you guessed, and the offset is added after that.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #181 on: February 11, 2009, 02:17:34 AM »

I added the offset parameters for sprites, so that should be just about everything I need to do there. I added some more status bar information such as mouse position and what script you are currently hovering over.

It's good being able to finally load maps into BqEd. More to come...

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: February 11, 2009, 07:36:14 AM »

Oh man, it's looking so complete already!

I think I asked you this before, but would it be possible to use this for other games made with the BQ engine?  (That might have different resolutions, tile sizes, tile map sizes, etc.?)  I could make any modifications to the engine you'd need.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: February 11, 2009, 11:03:53 AM »

Oh man, it's looking so complete already!
It's definately getting there, but not quite yet. Theres still a lot of work to do it seems.

I think I asked you this before, but would it be possible to use this for other games made with the BQ engine?  (That might have different resolutions, tile sizes, tile map sizes, etc.?)  I could make any modifications to the engine you'd need.
I believe so. I've hard coded some values in, such as how many tiles are present on the map and stuff, but I can probably put those values into a config file or something. If needed, I could perhaps allow the user to change the tile sizes when making a new map, difficult part is, is that the map file doesn't include the size of each tile at the moment. I only set it to 8x8 as that is what I calculated it to be.

I like turtles.
JackBread
Level 0

100% fresh hippo

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 11, 2009, 06:35:39 PM »

I want to help with some item graphics! Which ones are still needed?  Smiley
DugIt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 13, 2009, 07:09:50 PM »

Oh man! Everything is looking so freaking fantastic!

If I could stand on my soapbox once more; Advanced collision detection(aka slopes and such)scrolling/beef up the engine for larger area rendering. It would be great if these features was added. If these were added in the future I could really start work on this super awesome, huge project I have in store for your engine.

Keep up the awesome work! I have extremely high hopes for this.

Rostiger
Pixelhead
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: February 14, 2009, 01:20:18 AM »

Just popping in to say you're the man Snakey! Looking pretty sweet so far!  Beer!

Clemens Scott
Co-Founder & Artist of Broken Rules
HarrisonJK
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 14, 2009, 02:19:56 AM »

I'm petty sure that you can do whatever ones you want, aside from the laser monocle  Gentleman. The sky's the limit! A gun or sword might be nice Well, hello there!.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #188 on: February 15, 2009, 07:28:08 AM »

I'm petty sure that you can do whatever ones you want, aside from the laser monocle  Gentleman. The sky's the limit! A gun or sword might be nice Well, hello there!.
Yes, this is true.  Everything is open-ended right now.  I'm hoping people will come up with some wild stuff I'd never think of...

Oh man! Everything is looking so freaking fantastic!
Keep up the awesome work! I have extremely high hopes for this.
Yeah!  Thank you.  I'm going to get back to work on it this week. Hand Metal Right

If I could stand on my soapbox once more; Advanced collision detection(aka slopes and such)scrolling/beef up the engine for larger area rendering. It would be great if these features was added. If these were added in the future I could really start work on this super awesome, huge project I have in store for your engine.
This stuff won't be available for BQ, but I have started making a separate game using this engine myself, so I'm starting to work out how the public version of the engine will work.  I'll definitely put that stuff in before it's released.

I believe so. I've hard coded some values in, such as how many tiles are present on the map and stuff, but I can probably put those values into a config file or something. If needed, I could perhaps allow the user to change the tile sizes when making a new map, difficult part is, is that the map file doesn't include the size of each tile at the moment. I only set it to 8x8 as that is what I calculated it to be.
Yeah, I need to include more information in the map files...  I was running into this problem starting a new project with the engine.  The map files would get corrupted and stuff.

DugIt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 15, 2009, 02:58:42 PM »

This stuff won't be available for BQ, but I have started making a separate game using this engine myself, so I'm starting to work out how the public version of the engine will work.  I'll definitely put that stuff in before it's released.

You sir have just made my day. I know it's way to early to ask when it'll be released but I can't wait to see the download link.

I will make good use of your engine...   Smiley
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: February 16, 2009, 04:06:30 AM »

Finally added in the tile types code. I so far load them and render them, but you can't quite alter them yet. That won't take too long to add though. If anyone has some time to make me some nice icons for the tile types, select and move that'd be much appreciated. I've just made some quick gray scale versions, but they don't quite match the Silk ones.

I may release a version soon, as it has the basic systems in place I feel. A lot of features and functionality is still missing, but it will keep getting better.

Also, I added an About section for Balding's Quest, is there much you'd like to add in there  BMcC?

I like turtles.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #191 on: February 16, 2009, 08:33:31 AM »

You sir have just made my day. I know it's way to early to ask when it'll be released but I can't wait to see the download link.

I will make good use of your engine...   Smiley
After I make this short game (and maybe another one) I could get you set up with an early version of the engine.  You could help me figure out what features need to be added. Wink

I may release a version soon, as it has the basic systems in place I feel. A lot of features and functionality is still missing, but it will keep getting better.
Oh sweet, I can't wait!  After you've got the kinks out of the basic system, we should work together to make it adapt to other games using BQ's engine.  (I could definitely externalize a bunch of things.)

Also, I added an About section for Balding's Quest, is there much you'd like to add in there BMcC?
Hm... I dunno!  I need to work on a better description for the forum and game.  It's alright with me if that gets added later.

Krack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 16, 2009, 05:19:15 PM »

Hi.
I found this hidden gem while I was bored surfin the web for new games.
This engine is awesome.
----
Well I made a map for it. Not sure if it's done. It has challenging gameplay.
To get the full experience try to get all the disc thingys.

Krack_Escape
DOWNLOAD
----
[Extract to "/BQ M2 v.1.0.3/" directory; BQ Directory]
----
[I'm working on a tiny character mod replacing pretty much the character's clothes]
[I'll release it when I'm done modifying the animations]
----
Sorry if I posted this in the wrong place. I don't know really where to post this.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2009, 07:08:23 PM by Krack » Logged

Krack Kills.
DugIt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 16, 2009, 05:52:36 PM »

After I make this short game (and maybe another one) I could get you set up with an early version of the engine.  You could help me figure out what features need to be added. Wink

That would be awesome. Hit me up when you want to talk. Smiley

I've been doing some sprite work lately as well. Fun stuff
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: February 16, 2009, 09:42:54 PM »

Well I made a map for it. Not sure if it's done. It has challenging gameplay.
To get the full experience try to get all the disc thingys.
Wow, what a nice surprise!  This level is great, you really got the hang of this quick! Hand Thumbs Up Right

You actually didn't need to make a black background -- just set the background to "NONE" in the future.

Welcome!  And, yes, this is exactly the right place to post this. Smiley

That would be awesome. Hit me up when you want to talk. Smiley
I will. Wink

I'm going to get back to BQ and my small game tomorrow.

Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: February 19, 2009, 02:11:47 AM »

http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/BqEd

I've release a version of BqEd. Other than absolutely having BQ inside a BQ folder inside the editor folder, I'll let you guys have a crack at it. If theres any real serious issues, just post on Mantis at http://www.digitalconfectioners.com/mantis

I like turtles.
DugIt
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 19, 2009, 08:36:09 AM »

Wow, this is an awesome editor!

Not sure if I have everything set up correctly though.

Read the instructions, now the editor can't find BQ/scripts?

Update: I got it now. Simple and clean. Very slick too!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2009, 08:40:05 AM by DugIt » Logged
Krack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 19, 2009, 09:41:00 AM »

Looks great but how do I even use it?

I can't get it open. I try to open it and it tells me to reinstall it...
Where do I put it?

I'm confused... Epileptic Hand Point Left

Krack Kills.
Snakey
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #198 on: February 19, 2009, 10:55:24 AM »

I got it now. Simple and clean. Very slick too!
Thanks! I'm still working on it, but I wanted to release something to get it out there and to get feedback. Isolated development isn't very good!

I can't get it open. I try to open it and it tells me to reinstall it...
I compiled this project with Visual Studio 2008 Express, which perhaps indicates that you may need to install the Visual C++ 2008 Redistribution pack.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9b2da534-3e03-4391-8a4d-074b9f2bc1bf&displaylang=en

Most people have these installed, but most games are compiled with MSVC++ 2005 and have the 2005 version installed.

Anyways, try installing these and hopefully that will make the editor work for you.

Where do I put it?
There isn't anything to install, it is just a zip file from which you can put anywhere. Balding's Quest must exist inside the folder you put it into though, and it has to be named BQ for now. For example,

C:\BqEd\    <- Folder that contains BQEd
C:\BqEd\BQ\ <- Folder that contains BQ

I like turtles.
Krack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 19, 2009, 01:49:46 PM »

Thanks.

This is nice... Hand Thumbs Up Right

Krack Kills.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16
Print