Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:44:08 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsThe Winter Child [VIDEO]
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Winter Child [VIDEO]  (Read 6422 times)
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« on: May 12, 2014, 11:47:40 AM »

This is a solo project with music by the talented Benjamin Belinska. The basic gameplay is all complete and it just needs polish and a ton of writing now.

If I had to describe it as 'x meets y' (and protocol demands that I do) then I would say it's 'Papers, Please!' meets 'Black and White'. Only it's a lot simpler than that sounds. And with a completely different theme. Also, I'd be embarrassed if people thought I was comparing it to either of those excellent games. Actually, forget I said anything.

SNOW!!!

]

BACKSTORY!!!

RANDOMLY GENERATED CURSES!!!

STUFF!!!

« Last Edit: September 28, 2014, 05:58:49 AM by Panurge » Logged

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »

Seems pretty interesting; I rather like the art style. I'm guessing the gameplay consists of deciding what requests to fulfill and which to deny, based on which flame you use?
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2014, 12:45:33 PM »

Thank you, and you're exactly right. The basic idea is that you collect and then choose to grant or deny prayers and curses and the village changes according to your decisions.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2014, 11:54:14 AM »

Another randomly generated prayer. Don't push your luck, F!

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:41:48 AM by Panurge » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 11:56:43 AM »

And another, for the sake of balance.

« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 06:42:14 AM by Panurge » Logged

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2014, 11:18:55 AM »

Today I spent hours working on 'jostle' behaviour for the pages. I'm quite proud of it but probably the only people who'll notice it are people who've spent hours working on it...

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 12:18:34 PM »

A humble crow:

The granting/denying of prayers and curses is working out very nicely but the 'action' sections need sexing up a bit so I've brought in crows to snatch away the pages and witching men to play various tricks on your cursor.

The witching men will also be able to get at you through 'poisoned' prayers if you don't read them carefully enough...

Cakeypigdog
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 12:44:18 PM »

Such a great name for game. Love it.
collider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2014, 03:01:16 PM »

"more spirit in the bedchamber"
Your writing cracks me up. I just want to open the plist and read the curses like a novel Smiley
I was sorry to see After the Comet (mostly) go away, but looking forward to this!
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2014, 10:13:02 PM »

Cakeypigdog - Thanks, the name actually came before anything else. Smiley

Collider - Glad you enjoyed them - the curses are a lot of fun to write. As for After the Comet, I'm actually still working quietly on it from time to time but I've let the devlog drop because it may be a while (if ever) before I have anything worth showing...

collider
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2014, 10:20:41 PM »

Good to hear... I won't mention it again, I don't want to jinx it...
Cathay
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2014, 08:25:44 AM »

Hello everyone,

I am the aforementioned Benjamin Belinska - just thought I'd share some of the music I'm writing for this game...

https://soundcloud.com/belinska/the-winter-child-titles

https://soundcloud.com/belinska/the-winter-child-ambient-1

There is a gentle side to being godly after all.

- b
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2014, 12:43:37 PM »

Some prayers are more urgent than others.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 12:02:45 PM »

The sprites are still very rough but I've now got the village expanding and shrinking according to your decisions.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2014, 02:27:26 AM »

I've introduced some lighting to make the shrine seem a little cosier. If anyone knows a way to give it a flickering candle effect which isn't as annoying as a busted strip-light and has no chance of inducing an epileptic fit, I'd love to hear it... I guess shadows would help but I don't want to crowd the environment.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2014, 12:12:00 PM »

I was pleased to put my maths hat on today and find that I had a few billion possible prayers and curses already, so I thought I'd write a quick post to explain how they'll work.

There are dictionaries set up for a heap of different variables - names, jobs, household objects, animals, complimentary and pejorative adjectives etc - and each prayer is generated by slotting a mix of these into one of about 60 different templates. In addition, each curse consists of two templates bolted together - one describing the 'crime' the victim has committed and one requesting a punishment.

Crimes and punishments are tagged with scores reflecting their severity and the relationship between these scores will affect how the player is perceived when granting or denying curses. Power is gained through granting requests but players can also choose to be merciful or ruthless and their decisions will affect how they are seen by the villagers and how the village itself develops.

It won't all be black and white, however. It may be that granting seemingly worthy requests will have negative effects and vice versa. For example, allowing a murderer to be struck down with a wasting disease might lead to the accidental infection of more villagers, something which will be reflected in their future prayers.

There is a system behind the scenes to keep track of all these things but I won't make the scores themselves explicit - I want it to feel as natural as possible.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: June 14, 2014, 08:03:41 AM »

The world's worst Christmas tree.

(Not to be included in the game - just messing about testing out crow behaviour...)

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 10:57:56 AM »

I've had a number of people (one is a number, right?) ask me why I goofed and let the mouse cursor roam around that last gif, so I thought I should mention that the cursor itself is quite important to the gameplay.

You'll see that the cursor gets separated from the hand when a crow snatches the hand away. This is basically the 'death mechanic' - you have to enter the game by clicking on and possessing the hand but you'll lose agency (and valuable time) when the hand gets hurt and will have to quickly re-possess it.

Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »

The prayers occasionally turn up a nice surprise, as in this convoluted curse:

How many other god games allow you to upgrade your environment with lace tablecloths? I can't think of a single one.

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »

this looks so fantastic and whimsical, keep it up!

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic