Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:27:20 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallGUNROX - our boutique tactical MMO
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: GUNROX - our boutique tactical MMO  (Read 12865 times)
berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: December 29, 2008, 10:14:37 AM »

Hi guys!

I would like to announce our GUNROX game - this is our most ambitious project to date. This is online squad turn-based tactics, kinda like X-com, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout Tactics, but dumbed down and casualized so that more people not very familiar with turn-based tactics could play.

A huge step from traditional shareware to multiplayer online for us. Please try it and let me know what you think!

Game description:
Create your squad of soldiers and battle with live players around the world in head to head or coop battles in this massively multiplayer online tactical game.
GUNROX features randomly generated maps in vibrant and colorful game world. Fight with others for dominance and train your squad to get powerful weapons and useful skills.

Screenshot:

More screenshots:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Download:
here (~10 mb)

Game page:
http://www.gunrox.com/

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2009, 10:00:07 AM by berserker » Logged

Craig Stern
Level 10

I'm not actually all that stern.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 02:06:39 PM »

I love the graphics for the levels, though the player models don't quite fit them in my opinion. They're too cartoony, with the giant heads and such.

berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2009, 12:16:12 PM »

Thank you for your feedback Craig. Yes, we intentionally made them cartoony made with pixel art to allow extensive customization - curently you can change almost any part of your visual appearance.

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2009, 12:40:45 PM »

and what makes this MMO more appealing than the thousands of other MMOs on the market with better graphics, and probably better sound and gameplay?

also, for an ambitious project, you forgot to put the player sprites in the correct perspective - you have side-view sprites on an isometric plane.  that's basically the equivalent of deciding to embark on an ambitious project to build a commercial airliner, and then shaping the plane like a brick and putting the wings on off-center.

also, there's a huge discrepancy between the scenery and the player sprites.  the player sprites completely ignore anatomy, are pillow-shaded, and look like they were drawn by an 8-year old, but the scenery is, while very plastic, much more professional.  did you hire a talented person for the scenery and a novice for the sprites?

it seems like you used a premade kit for the scenery, and then got your friend to help you out with the graphics, in which case, there's no need to put on airs and call yourself a company. 

harsh critique, but many people would've been much more harsh.  i'll be frank: this game does not look appealing.

also, your website is down, so i can't judge whether you are a legitimate company or not.

PS:

why'd you call it GUNROX?  are there rock formations shaped like guns in this game?  do the guns shoot rocks?  is it because guns rock?  i'm stumped.

godsavant
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2009, 12:52:08 PM »

why'd you call it GUNROX?  are there rock formations shaped like guns in this game?  do the guns shoot rocks?  is it because guns rock?  i'm stumped.

I think it's the third one ('guns rock').

The scenery in this game really does not match your subject matter. You've got Maple Story mushroom houses while little boys are running around with super-realistic automatic weapons and ammo crates, so I'm inclined to think your ripped it from some less violent game. Shouldn't gunfights take place in nighttime metropolises or wastelands and such?

I'll leave neon to his stuff, whatev.
berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2009, 01:12:42 PM »

The scenery in this game really does not match your subject matter. You've got Maple Story mushroom houses while little boys are running around with super-realistic automatic weapons and ammo crates, so I'm inclined to think your ripped it from some less violent game. Shouldn't gunfights take place in nighttime metropolises or wastelands and such?

Why should they? Can't see why we should follow trivial route that everyone else is following instead of doing something different? That's what is good about being independent - we don't have a publisher that prevents us from making maple-story like world filled with guerillas that carry real-world guns.

And we have different kinds of scenery, for example:

berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2009, 01:15:55 PM »

and what makes this MMO more appealing than the thousands of other MMOs on the market with better graphics, and probably better sound and gameplay?

I haven't said it's more appealing than anything else, but this game is unique in it's own way - there is not much good turn-based strategies lately, let alone with good multiplayer. But spilling so much negativity without even trying the game I don't think this will make much sence to you. Have a nice day.

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2009, 02:42:50 PM »

there is not much good turn-based strategies lately

Lips Sealed

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2009, 03:33:23 PM »

Why should they? Can't see why we should follow trivial route that everyone else is following instead of doing something different?

well, you can do whatever you want!  that IS the great part about being indie.  however, don't use that to cover up the fact that you used ripped or premade graphics with your sprites, without even thinking about how they would make a ridiculous clash of styles (if that is the case).  Lips Sealed

there is not much good turn-based strategies lately, let alone with good multiplayer

who's the judge?  you?

spilling so much negativity

sorry if it came across that way.  however, there are definitely issues with your game, and i was trying to show you a few of them. 

maple-story like world filled with guerillas that carry real-world guns.

there's a reason this hasn't been done before.

anyway, i'm done being mean.  best of luck with your game.  also, l2grammar.

berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2009, 11:25:10 PM »

however, don't use that to cover up the fact that you used ripped or premade graphics with your sprites

All graphics for this game were made specifically for this game withot ripping anything or using premade graphics. If it reminds you of something does not mean it's been ripped off.

And being said that I posted this thread to get some feedback about GAME, not just screenshots.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2009, 12:24:52 AM »

And being said that I posted this thread to get some feedback about GAME, not just screenshots.
Well, you have posted in the Announcements forum rather than the Feedback forum, and you didn't actually ask for any feedback prior to this post. It seemed like you were more just promoting your game - which is fine, and it's what Announcements is for. But if you specifically wanted feedback, then you should post this in the Feedback forum, or ask a mod to move this thread to that forum.

berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2009, 12:41:49 AM »

Well, you have posted in the Announcements forum rather than the Feedback forum, and you didn't actually ask for any feedback prior to this post. It seemed like you were more just promoting your game - which is fine, and it's what Announcements is for. But if you specifically wanted feedback, then you should post this in the Feedback forum, or ask a mod to move this thread to that forum.

I posted it here because I was afraid that it will be deleted in the other place, so if it's possible to move this thread there, it would be great.

Nate Kling
Pixelhead
Level 9

Caliber9

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2009, 03:00:30 PM »

While i agree with some of the critique I thought it a bit harsh because this is the Announcements forum not the feedback forum.  I do have to say though, although you can do whatever you want because you have no publisher telling you what to do, that doesn't mean you are free from coherence and general rules/guidelines to making aesthetically pleasing visuals.  Ill have to give the game a try and post some game play feedback when I get the chance.  But you should find more of what your looking for on the feedback thread.  congratulations on the finished game though it looks it was quite a massive undertaking of a game. Smiley

Craig Stern
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2009, 09:56:28 PM »

I happen to be a huge fan of turn-based tactics games, so I figured I'd give you some feedback. I just signed up for a free account, so I'm going to give you my initial impressions.

First, good things:

--I like the visual style of the interface; it looks polished and it's fairly intuitive.
--Likewise, the combat interface is intuitive and functional, which is nice. I went through the tutorial, but having played Fallout, I could have easily picked it up and figured it out without it.

Now, criticisms:

--I would prefer it if this game started in windowed mode rather than fullscreen, but I like that you give me the option to switch.
--On the Create Your Team screen, there is no Back button if I want to change something. This is a big oversight! You should not force the player to quit out of the screen entirely and start over just because he or she has made a mistake.
--The Name text box lets me drag-select the text, but it does not replace the old text when I start typing; it just adds the new text onto the front of the old.
--The options for changing your characters' physical appearance are extremely limited. It is particularly unfortunate that the player does not have the option to create female characters.
--I was also somewhat disappointed by the remarkably small roster of random names (seven total, if I estimate correctly). There should really be at least 20 for this to be a feature worth putting in (40 if you include female names).
--Because your turns are timed, you should really give players the option to speed up the animations where players walk to their destinations (a la Fallout). It isn't helpful when I lose 10 seconds out of my 2 minutes because Mopey is slowly moseying to someplace 10 tiles away!

I have not yet played any actual battles against other people, so like I said, these are just my initial impressions. I hope you find them helpful. Smiley If you feel like reciprocating, I have a tactics game of my own you can give feedback on here!

berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2009, 04:16:49 AM »

Thank you for your feedback Craig, some good suggestions there. Limited appearance are there due to the fact that we sell more diverse outfit in the Cash Shop and we had to make initial options limited so people will be more inclined to buy custom stuff. And actually there are female characters, we just made gender of all team members hardlinked to account gender, so if you create account stating thet you are female, all your characters will be female.

William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2009, 04:44:19 AM »

Limited appearance are there due to the fact that we sell more diverse outfit in the Cash Shop and we had to make initial options limited so people will be more inclined to buy custom stuff.
Lips Sealed

Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2009, 08:57:02 AM »

Hi guys!

I would like to announce our GUNROX game - this is our most ambitious project to date. This is online squad turn-based tactics, kinda like X-com, Jagged Alliance 2, Fallout Tactics, but dumbed down and casualized so that more people not very familiar with turn-based tactics could play.

So don't say it's like X-Com please thanks. It's really like a kick in the balls for the fans out there, too many games tried to say "it's like X-Com but it will like to casual gamers as well".
Let X-Com rest in peace. Say it's like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway i'm an huge fan of this games, so i'll be happy to give it a go, even if i really don't like the characters style and the lack of a real setting (i think games that uses several themes at once just lacks of depth)

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
Eclipse
Level 10

0xDEADC0DE

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2009, 08:58:31 AM »

Limited appearance are there due to the fact that we sell more diverse outfit in the Cash Shop and we had to make initial options limited so people will be more inclined to buy custom stuff.
Lips Sealed

he said it's casual, not indie, and that's one of the differences Concerned

<Powergloved_Andy> I once fapped to Dora the Explorer
berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2009, 09:54:24 AM »

So don't say it's like X-Com please thanks. It's really like a kick in the balls for the fans out there, too many games tried to say "it's like X-Com but it will like to casual gamers as well".
Let X-Com rest in peace. Say it's like Final Fantasy Tactics.

Anyway i'm an huge fan of this games, so i'll be happy to give it a go, even if i really don't like the characters style and the lack of a real setting (i think games that uses several themes at once just lacks of depth)

It's casual only at a glance which is good as it is quite easy to pick up and play for those people who never played this type of games. In depth, especially after level 10 or so it becomes very deep hardcore strategy with number of different build up and combinations - various types of weapons and perks result in quite varied gameplay. If it's not as complicated as X-com does not mean it has no depth.

berserker
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2009, 03:59:04 AM »

Added 4 background music tracks to the game in last update so it doesn't sound as empty as before.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic