Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:08:12 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsTrial by Viking - Out on Steam Today!
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Author Topic: Trial by Viking - Out on Steam Today!  (Read 13403 times)
dqhendricks
Level 1

There is a small mailbox here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: September 11, 2015, 09:39:35 AM »

The Kickstarter is approaching its goal... It will succeed I'm optimistic Smiley
Nice video!

Thanks gereon! I've been trying my best. I hope it's enough!

gereon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: September 14, 2015, 09:12:14 AM »

Congratulations! Smiley

Currently working on...
hogge
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: September 14, 2015, 09:48:44 AM »

I like the art style.
Gives me great PSOne vibes ^^

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2015, 02:28:45 PM »

Congratulations! Smiley

I like the art style.
Gives me great PSOne vibes ^^

thank you!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: September 17, 2015, 01:53:37 PM »

8 minutes to go on the KickStarter campaign!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2016, 11:07:37 AM »

Update #44:

It's been a while since my last post, so I have a lot to update here. After getting greenlit on Steam, and a successful Kickstarter campaign, I put my head down and got to work. It seems to have paid off. Trial by Viking recently became one of 20 winners of the 2015 Taco Bell Indie Game Garage contest, and has been nominated for Best Desktop/Downloadable in the 2016 Games Connection Development Awards taking place in two weeks! I will be at Games Connection demoing the game in the Awards Pavilion if anyone wants to stop by and say hello. There is a shuttle there from GDC.

I have recently completed a demo that I'm pretty proud of as well! You can try out a copy for Windows or Mac right now by clicking here.

So the game is releasing on Steam in less than a month. March 29th, just after Easter. I'm pretty nervous. I haven't gotten a lot of coverage on games sites, but that's to be mostly expected as an unknown indie dev  I suppose. Hopefully things go well  Shrug

Here's a new gif for you all! Troll boss. Don't worry there are 27 bosses, so I don't feel like I'm spoiling too much.

I also wanted to talk a little bit about AI. I was recently having trouble with my simpleton flyer AI getting snagged on walls. I had talked previously about how I use the last *seen* position of the player as a target for this particular AI, but I never implemented any path finding. This AI isn't supposed to be *that* smart. What I've done however seems to work really well, so I will try to explain it a bit here.

So this flyer AI flies toward a target. It's pretty simple in that respect. When it hit a wall however, it got snagged and stopped or slowed down a lot (and also looked silly doing it). So I started using a little linecasting to help. I cast a line from the AI towards the target at a distance of about one unit. If I get a hit against a platform, I figure out what the reflection vector is. From the target vector and the reflection vector, I can find the halfway vector between the two, which should be a vector that is parallel to the surface that my linecast hit. Using this as the new direction instead of just trying to keep going towards the target, means the AI will slide along the wall at full speed instead. This usually means it will end up finding it's target again, and head towards it once there is no wall in between. It's not perfect, but as I said, this is one of the first AIs you encounter, and it's not supposed to be *too* smart. Here's a small scribble to illustrate what I am talking about.

Anyways, thanks for listening. Let me know if you have any thoughts or comments.

Cheers,
Dustin

Jalapenosbud
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2016, 11:16:40 AM »

I figure out what the reflection vector is. From the target vector and the reflection vector, I can find the halfway vector between the two, which should be a vector that is parallel to the surface that my linecast hit. Using this as the new direction instead of just trying to keep going towards the target, means the AI will slide along the wall at full speed instead. This usually means it will end up finding it's target again, and head towards it once there is no wall in between.

thats friggin genius man!

EDIT: just saw the drawing, lol, so nvm this comment.
im not too keen on math, but is a reflection vector a vector that gets shot down towards the "surface" and is reflected back up? in simple words?

and regarding not having pathfinding, i guess you'll be okay as long as theres no "stupid" hiccups and u test every possible outcome of what the player will do vs how the AI will act. I mean people probably wont notice anyways.

but yea gz on the kickstarter and greenlight, i was secretly hoping for it to be successful, so i hope that helped :D and gl with the steam launch!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2016, 12:12:50 PM »

I figure out what the reflection vector is. From the target vector and the reflection vector, I can find the halfway vector between the two, which should be a vector that is parallel to the surface that my linecast hit. Using this as the new direction instead of just trying to keep going towards the target, means the AI will slide along the wall at full speed instead. This usually means it will end up finding it's target again, and head towards it once there is no wall in between.

thats friggin genius man!

EDIT: just saw the drawing, lol, so nvm this comment.
im not too keen on math, but is a reflection vector a vector that gets shot down towards the "surface" and is reflected back up? in simple words?

and regarding not having pathfinding, i guess you'll be okay as long as theres no "stupid" hiccups and u test every possible outcome of what the player will do vs how the AI will act. I mean people probably wont notice anyways.

but yea gz on the kickstarter and greenlight, i was secretly hoping for it to be successful, so i hope that helped :D and gl with the steam launch!

Yeah, basically. It's a lot easier to understand when you see it drawn out like that. So I have a direction vector, like Vector3( -0.8, 0.2, 0 ). This just means if I added this vector to the current position vector of the AI, it would move the AI one unit in that vector's direction. If you multiply it by a speed first, it let's you move in whichever direction you've set at whichever speed.

Then I use this to come up with a linecast between my AI's position, and it's target, at a specified distance using multiplication. Unity is a big help here, because it's linecast functionality allows you to get a reflection vector (we don't have to do the math ourselves). The reflection vector, as you said, is basically if your line hit the wall and reflected off like a mirror, that is the direction vector you would get as a result. Now that you have your original direction vector, and a reflection vector, you can combine the two to get a new direction vector parallel to the surface that the linecast hit. It sounds obvious now that I read it out loud, but trying to figure out how to do what I needed from scratch took me a bit of time. xD maybe this will help somebody

By the way, thanks for secretly hoping! I appreciate support any way I can get it!

thecolonygame
Level 0

thecolonygame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2016, 01:52:33 PM »

Hey there, we ran into each other at PAX in Seattle. Glad to see the progress, looking forward to this game!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2016, 04:10:28 PM »

Hey there, we ran into each other at PAX in Seattle. Glad to see the progress, looking forward to this game!

hey thanks! been working really hard! any chance you will be at PAX East this year?

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2016, 11:10:00 AM »

Update #45:

Hey all,

Trial by Viking is coming out on Steam next Tuesday. I wanted to share some new 1080p video of the game here that gives a really clear idea of what the game is all about. I hope you will check it out. I'm excited but also very nervous about next week. This is my first Steam release. Wish me luck!

dqhendricks
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2016, 02:36:45 PM »

Update #46:

Hey all,

It's been a long two and a half year road with lots of ups and downs, but today is finally the day. Trial by Viking was released on Steam and Itch.io this morning. Thank you all for the feedback and advice. Check out the release trailer!

Steam store link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/440800/
Itch.io store link: https://lastlifegames.itch.io/trial-by-viking

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic