Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1412074 Posts in 69447 Topics- by 58484 Members - Latest Member: bigdog243

June 26, 2024, 04:54:57 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsCaptain Forever Remix - spaceship builder roguelike
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Captain Forever Remix - spaceship builder roguelike  (Read 6969 times)
futurecrayon
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2014, 01:21:24 PM »

Thanks much!
Dean Tate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2014, 05:36:11 PM »

Yeah thanks Hempuli! Good to know the aesthetic direction for the ships is working for you. Still lots of work to do to get them looking a lot better Smiley
Dean Tate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2014, 09:47:30 PM »

I've been working on backgrounds for the game and further exploring the story. A little taste:

It was the summer of 1993 when my brother Kevin screwed up big-time and tore the world in half.

Now he’s an all-powerful floating head of doom with an army of mutants that think he’s just
the coolest coz he froze the sun and totally ruined the solar system.

What a butthead.

I’ve gotta get to pluto and stop him before he destroys the galaxy!

The sun:

Earth:

We'll find out what happened to the other planets...soon Smiley
Dean Tate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2014, 09:01:08 AM »

A bit about how I'm making backgrounds:

They're mostly just really simple combinations of sprites (textures) and particle effects. I paint everything in a composite fashion in photoshop (the planet + any particles that will need to fit on top, such as the glowing green ooze on Earth). I use particle systems to get "cheap" animation, using carefully tuned graphs for size-over-lifetime, speed-over-lifetime, and colour/alpha over lifetime.

Both backgrounds have a lot of particle effects going on.

For the sun:

-Glowing ripples growing out to the edge of the sun.
-Inner "bubbles" that throb (grow up/down in size rapidly).
-A corona/lens-flare glow in front and behind the snowflake, to give outer glow effect to the sun.
-Falling snowflakes around the edge of the sun.

For Earth:

-Large "ooze" particle effect on the continents. Spawns a couple particles that very slowly rise up and then down in alpha, to make it look like it's pusling.
-Blue clouds that are slowly wafting to the right, that are "inside" the "cup" (interior) of the planet (the earth texture itself is cut into 3 parts: the top half, the bottom half, and then a "cup" texture that forms the back of the bottom half and sits behind everything else in Z-order).
-Green clouds that sit in front (z-order) and waft off to the right as well.
-An "outer glow" around the entire planet that pulses a bit.

Later I want to add the moon, with a big splatter of green ooze all over it Smiley

Not pictured: Australia, floating off to the side a bit:

Dean Tate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2015, 10:30:24 PM »

It's been about a billion years (I got busy I supposed, making the game) but uh...here's a new trailer! Game has come a-ways! I should start posting here again Smiley

Octurnip
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2015, 04:46:05 AM »

I got to say, from the trailer and the look of the gifs the snapping and animations are super juicy!

@octurnip - Check out our game Cassus!
Greipur
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2015, 06:11:33 AM »

I like the pacing of the trailer, it's got an oddball vibe, and you can't go wrong with Danny's music. And yes, you should post here more often. Wink

Dean Tate
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2015, 01:55:08 PM »

Oh man I almost missed that this thread got resurrected.

I need to start posting here again! Have just been too crazy busy actually making the game Undecided

We've been particularly busy this week telling people about our next update. Here's some fun gifs of all the stuff we've been announcing (for SHIP BITS MEGA WEEK!):

The SCATTERBLASTER!

MEGABOOM ROCKETS

The Mine Popper!

Jumbo Bulkhead Lite!

And saved the best for last...DRAGON BREATH!

New update is out this Monday along with some extra surprises! (we are now in Early Access and spending some extra time making the game awesomer)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/298560
Mixer
Level 1

I've never really known what to put here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2015, 10:31:29 PM »

Oh gee, this game is super juicy with all the nice glows. I've always liked the idea of being about to use your dead opponents parts, it's such a satisfying reward. Lovely game!

My twitter is @5Mixer.
I'm currently making a dungeon game, check it out :D
https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=59139.0
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic