Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 11:56:17 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesGames with unusual music
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Author Topic: Games with unusual music  (Read 14460 times)
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: August 16, 2007, 02:19:31 PM »

Hot damn, didn't know there was a C64 vesion!  Kiss

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2007, 07:27:35 PM »

I am cursed.
With forgetting every song I hear from a game. Cry

But ye guys got some awesome tunes up in here. I'll make sure I pay attention to the music of the next game I play, if only to have something to contribute to this thread.

Oh, wait...

Uh...

Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon? I can't recall if the music was weird but the game certainly was!

Melly
Level 10

This is how being from "da hood" is like, right?

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2007, 03:57:12 PM »

Lots of games with some pretty good music here. I'll have to grab them in emulators sometime.

I wonder how Rez hasn't been mentioned yet. One of the few games that would not be the same with any other type of music. It flowed with the game and the game flowed with it.

Also, WarioWare's presentation is the genius of randomness.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2007, 04:01:26 PM by Melly » Logged

Feel free to disregard the above.
Games: Minus / Action Escape Kitty
can-o-spam
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »

I have an example not of unusual music from a game, but in a game. Tribes 1 let you put any audio CD in the drive and the game would play tracks from it according to the level. (Or, at least that is the way I remember it - maybe this just reveals too much...) I always used to use a CD of classical music called "The Planets", a suite of music composed by Gustav Holst. It was really great and seemed to fit the game way better than the stuff that shipped with it. When the "Mars - God of War" track played it just felt perfect.
Alec
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2007, 08:04:17 PM »

That's awesome. Smiley

Moonstone is another Amiga game that has a little bit of really creepy memorable music. In between the stages, it plays this ominous, sparse ... thing... While showing these disturbing messages.

Its in this vid, but you have to search for it a bit. (tho the vid is pretty fun to watch if you haven't seen the game before)

Here's a vid of the deaths, which are awesome.

Guert
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2007, 08:26:40 PM »

Does elektroplankton counts?

Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2007, 02:50:29 AM »

Yeah, I reckon some pretty unusual sounds come out of Electroplankton Smiley

I was tempted to post Way Of The Samurai just then because the music in that is pretty unusual, but I don't think it's way-out-there enough. Also I just thought of Loom which has some pretty weird music, but it's still quite bleepy. The quandary is that after (fairly unreasonably, as I haven't heard some of them) throwing out poor old Monothu's suggestions out of hand earlier in the thread, I'm thinking that the original specification pretty much rules out games made prior to the 16-bit era, which isn't really fair at all  Grin no more definitions! If you find it unusual, post it!

rey-o
Level 1

'here i am, rock you like a hurricane'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: August 19, 2007, 05:34:02 AM »

looooove electroplankton

cheers, rey-o
skaldicpoet9
Level 10

"The length of my life was fated long ago "

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2007, 05:48:57 AM »

Yeah, I reckon some pretty unusual sounds come out of Electroplankton Smiley

I was tempted to post Way Of The Samurai just then because the music in that is pretty unusual, but I don't think it's way-out-there enough. Also I just thought of Loom which has some pretty weird music, but it's still quite bleepy. The quandary is that after (fairly unreasonably, as I haven't heard some of them) throwing out poor old Monothu's suggestions out of hand earlier in the thread, I'm thinking that the original specification pretty much rules out games made prior to the 16-bit era, which isn't really fair at all  Grin no more definitions! If you find it unusual, post it!

Way of the Samurai rocks! Although, I admit, I can't really remember much (if any) of the music lol....good game though...

\\\\\\\"Fearlessness is better than a faint heart for any man who puts his nose out of doors. The date of my death and length of my life were fated long ago.\\\\\\\"
Alex May
...is probably drunk right now.
Level 10

hen hao wan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2007, 06:15:31 AM »

Yeah WOTS is easily one of my favourite ever games. You can hear a little of the music which was kind of jazzy on this youtube video although it's a little indistinct. It's the combat music which was unusual, but it's not really that interesting really.

wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2007, 08:39:42 PM »

This brings tears to my eyes:

It's so beautiful, I love it. It also brings back memories of being a little child. God I miss those Alternate Reality games. I'll have to dig 'em out, on emulator unfortunately :(

. . .

Another excellent tune from the same composer who made the Alternate Reality music:

In fact, I highly recommend looking up the original Alternate Reality games. They have some excellent music.

Do you know where to find these songs in any audio-only format, and maybe others by this Gary Gilbertson? I'm C64-oriented and have never heard his work before, but I like it a lot.

Here's a C64 game that I always thought had an interesting integration of music and action: Jammin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngw1Bq5VeDc

When you get hit while carrying an instrument, the monster takes it and plays a warped version of the song.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:42:34 PM by wourme » Logged
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2007, 10:24:59 AM »

'Fraid not. The best thing to do would probably to find the ROMs, and rip your own via emulator. I've also heard some pretty shitty midi versions, which I wouldn't recommend.

If you find any, let me know Tongue

P.S. 'Jammin' looks pretty cool!

olücæbelel
wourme
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2007, 09:08:01 PM »

If you find any, let me know :P

I found some. The last file on that page contains YM files, which Deliplayer supports, as does Winamp if you get the right plugin. Not sure how faithful the sound is, though.

These seem to be arrangements.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 10:08:41 PM by wourme » Logged
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2007, 10:04:56 PM »

I thought what music there was in Alex Adventure was quite unusual and I enjoyed it.

GP Lackey
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 23, 2007, 05:10:06 PM »

Some indies deserve mentioning.

The lonely acoustic guitar strains of Dwarf Fortress aren't expertly made but set the tone.

The folkish music in UnReal World is something else.

The demo of Gesundheit is worth it for the soundtrack alone, it was made by the creator on a bunch of toy instruments.  The Western End theme is great.
Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: August 24, 2007, 05:05:23 PM »

The Desolate Room is unusual all the way around, including the muzak! Smiley
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 25, 2007, 12:06:05 PM »

I really liked the Dwarf Fortress music! My friends thought I was crazy, but I thought it really fit the feel of the game. I just wish there were a few more tracks of it.

I'm looking forward to putting in some Desolate Room time in this afternoon, I checked out the beginning, and it seems intriguing, although I was a bit distracted by the fact that, despite the care taken in the robot graphics, he hadn't bothered even to vertically displace your character when you step over the scattered robot parts, leading to a weird flat/not-flat ground feeling which threw me off.

It looks like quality, though, despite the rough edges.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: September 22, 2007, 09:09:30 PM »

Oh yeah, Katamari Damacy for sure. Some excellent stuff there.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned The Neverhood and Skullmonkeys yet though.

And Everyday Shooter, of course. And I loved what I heard of Gezundheit.

Also, Rhythm Tengoku and most especially, the wonderful Vib Ribbon:

« Last Edit: September 22, 2007, 09:14:12 PM by Anthony Flack » Logged

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: September 22, 2007, 10:43:27 PM »

Just noticed this thread.  Gotta give another shout-out to Gesundheit.  Great stuff.  Kiss

ptoing
Pixelhead
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2007, 09:05:21 AM »

Yeh, also wondered noone mentioned Neverhood and Skullmonkeys before Anthony.
Also Vib Ribbon. All of the Parodius games have quite silly/weird music as well.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic