Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411508 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 09:32:32 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingA Quest of Life -- All NEW v0.4
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Quest of Life -- All NEW v0.4  (Read 1847 times)
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« on: July 05, 2014, 03:31:48 PM »

Download link: Alpha v0.4

"Why do we exist? Why are we alive? Why us?" said the toy as it blinked, opening its eyes for the first time to the world around it.

The game was made for the 2014 Indie Game Maker Contest. However this entry is an updated version of my submission. The game was entirely made by me save for a few things (for example, music and graphics). For a full list of credits, you'll finish the game or you can check it out at http://contest.rpgmakerweb.com/game/view/id/134.

The story: A toy sprang to life one day in a broken world. It doesn't know why or how it came to life with little population of similar toys around. What happened and what is going on? Why are the toys alive? What is their purpose?

Current Features:
* Any door you can see, you can enter
* Multiple solutions to the same task given to you by characters in the game.
* Multiple endings for most tasks.
* Open ended game (final product not this chapter); where you choose your ending.
* Your actions affect the world and therefore you might have to act according to the       consequences of your actions.
* Simple stealth system.
* Story based game.
* Heavy emphasis over exploration. Following the main task (quest) will not give you the same (complete) experience that you'd get when exploring around.

Controls:
* Arrows keys for movement
* Enter/Z to interact with objects or confirm a selection.
* Escape/X to bring up main menu or cancel a selection or exit from a selection.
* Shift to run.

Thank you for playing and if in case you don't know where to being with the feedback here are a few questions below to get you started
What was the most thing you liked in the game?
In your opinion, what was the worst thing in the game?
Was there something missing that you were expected/wanted to have and didn't find?
Can you describe your experience (and feelings) while playing the game?
Anything else you would like to say that I haven't asked about?

Screenshots:

Again thank you very much for your time and for trying the game out, I do appreciate it.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 10:49:59 PM by Vallar » Logged

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 05:04:03 PM »

The screenshots weren't particularly appealing since they just look like most other RPG Maker games, but the list of features you gave made it sound intriguing.

-There are typos right from the start with "Unfortuante" and the structure of that sentence isn't really correct either.

-The music you chose is decent.

-I didn't like that I couldn't walk over a what appeared to be just a few pieces of paper on the floor.

-I like the idea of the exclamation mark, but I feel like usable items should still sparkle or something. As it is right now, seeing the exclamation mark seems to just mean I have to randomly press Space at near single object in the area.

-Some items look like they can be picked up, but can't (the helmet and the necklace) while others, like the journal, can be picked up but don't make the exclamation mark appear.

-It looks really weird to see grass in the space when I open the door of a building from the outside.

-It seems like a lot of the objects in the game exist solely to get in the way of the player. I don't enjoy the way RPG Maker characters handle, so having to maneuver around things constantly wasn't fun.

-There are some misleading graphics. My main issue was with holes in walls that are big enough to enter but are non-interactive and static ropes that use the same sprite as the one you picked up earlier. I realize you didn't make all the graphics, but you can still choose to use them in a different way.

-Bug? The rope respawned when I left the area and returned.

-Bug: Sometimes the exclamation mark still appears even when I've taken the object it was calling attention to.

-Bug: The pink-hair girl who is found unconscious turns into a completely different person when you interact with her.

It's an intriguing game. I like how the world feels, but I have trouble getting into RPG Maker games because I hate how they feel to control. I may still try it a bit more later, though because I do want to see more of the story and I'm curious how you've implemented a "simple stealth system".

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 05:52:32 PM »

First allow me to thank you very much for trying the game and for your feedback. Allow me to comment on your comments:

1- Thank you for bringing that up, I haven't had a pass over the writing yet. I'll make sure that the next update that would happen.

2- Thank you very much. Smiley I am glad you liked it.

3- Interesting and a valid point, I'll make sure to change it. No sense in making it a solid object.

4- Not the first time someone has mentioned this to me, I am currently going over multiple ways to hint at an object of interest without giving out the "solution" so easily.

5- I see. There is a letter at the very beginning just next where you start that tells you that objects with sparkles on them can be interacted with. The rest are just there for clutter (unless you see the exclamation mark). But I guess this ties with number 4 and I shall give it a go on next update.

6- I am unsure which building or that you are referring to. May I ask that you elaborate a bit about which building is that?

7- Ah, I see. Unfortunately it is one of the worst things about RPG Maker. However I believe this ties with 3. I'll do my best to minimize the maneuver thing.

8- Definitely you are correct about that one. The message conveyed by the graphics is mixed and that is my problem. I'll see that number 3, 4 and 5 should refuse the effect of this point too.

9- Hmm... it shouldn't do that. I'll fix it so next update won't have that.

10- I see... it is misleading of course. I should have that fixed when 3, 4 and 5 are done.

11- Oh, dear! That is weird... next update will fix that too... I think I missed something there.

I am glad that the game got you intrigued. I completely understand your point and I can't blame you, it got me a while myself to accept the engine for what it is. However right now it is the best engine in terms of what is there to use vs what I have to do to get to the same point.

One last thing I believe my post haven't cleared and I shall edit my post to clear that out. The game has an emphasis over exploration. You'll find that there is little direction given in the game except for when you pick up a task. In fact, if you follow the tasks only, you don't know everything about the world but through exploration.
That said some parts of the game are left vague (as a test for now to see how well it would be accepted by players). For example, you don't know who are the enemies; there is a subtle difference but you need to concentrate to tell the difference between an enemy and a friend.

Another thing the graphics, I am using these as a placeholder... since I am a lone developer and not an artist, I can't change things around. But... I am planning to recruit an artist once I have a solid ground (enough people liking the game).

And of course, thank you VERY VERY much for checking the game and giving me an honest in depth feedback. Thank you Smiley

Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2014, 06:30:51 PM »

#5 - This is the misleading part. You're using two different systems at different times, which means that players will have to try everything just in case. If I'm told that sparkles show that I can interact with something, then the rope doesn't stand out to me because it has no sparkle. If I'm told that an exclamation mark shows I'm near something useful, I have to wander around trying everything because nothing looks particularly useful.

#6 - I think all the non-tent buildings have grass in their doorways. If you walk up to a building and open the door, you'll see grass where the door was instead of flooring like there should be. It might seem like a small thing, but changing this will make the buildings seem like they have more substance/depth.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »

#5 Definitely, I can see where you are coming from and I am thinking about a more uniform method to relay the information that won't make it confusing.

#6 I think I know what you are talking about now. It is in my mapping. I'll definitely edit it for the next release Smiley

Thank you so much Smiley you don't know how much this has been useful ^_^

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 03:34:34 AM »

Bump -- Same build, but I am still after more feedback. Smiley

Thank you very much in advance Smiley

dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:49:52 PM »

Ok... So I've had a quick playthrough. Got through the first puzzle at least.
Here are my thoughts. Smiley

• It's a very well presented game. The art and sound is strong, and it definitely feels like a JRPG, so you've done well in this regard.

• Although I know the first area is in someway dilapidated, the are too many unnecessary obstacles on the floor, and my character kept getting stuck.

• On a related note, I was able to move some of those obstacles in one of the buildings, but could not do so elsewhere. That's quite annoying. Also related is...

• This is a videogame. I am a gamer. I just walked through a cat.
    You. Have. To. Fix. That.

• Sometimes it's hard to know just what is, and isn't collectible.

• And what's up with the exclamation mark? What governs it's appearance?

Other than that, I found the opening intriguing... Interesting enough to want to find the point where the story settles in, and I may just do that when I can find a bit of time, but it looks like a bit of a slow burner, which some people like, and some people don't.

It's nothing like the start of A Link To The Past, for example, where I knew someone was due for a slap in the first five minutes... Though I know The Quest For Life is a completely different game, a little direction at the start would be nice.

Hope that helps.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 03:37:52 AM by dynamite-ready » Logged
dynamite-ready
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:58:32 PM »

Quick note...

I tried to play the game without reading any of the other opinions first, so as to look at the game with a fresh pair of eyes. Interesting to see how my opinion and Quicksand's converge on many of the same key areas...

P.S. Reading this? Please play and critique muh' game (it's around here somewhere)!
Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 05:46:30 PM »

Thanks a lot for trying the game out Dynamite-ready.

Glad you liked how the game looks and the music too. As you progress further in the game you'll find out it isn't a JRPG or even an RPG.

Seems many people have complained about that, I have fixed things so some of the clutter should not block your path (papers and cups to name a few).

I understand that the items are a bit confusing with which you can pick and which you can't pick up. Unfortunately all the art you see is the default that comes with RPG Maker, so we are working on custom art at the moment to resolve this problem.

Haha, I didn't know we had poltergeist cats!! Definitely we'll bust them out Smiley no worries, won't happen again.

As for the exclamation marks, as mentioned in the paper you pick up right at the very beginning (it is just in front of you when you "open your eyes"). Anything related to a quest, to make it easier, you'll find the character displaying an exclamation mark denoting that there is something around this location to pick up. While the sparkling effect are for narrative based items (books, papers, etc...). Anything else is just clutter.

Oh, I am glad that what is going on isn't immediately apparent, that is exactly what I intended to do -- keep the player in the dark and slowly reveal bits and pieces of the story until everything comes together round 3/4 of the game.

It is quite interesting... usually feedback doesn't differ when it is THAT thorough as people are playing with a critical eye (which I needed in all honesty and thank you for that).

You've opened my eyes on a few things mainly the use of RPG Maker... I am starting to think that I should really remake the game in a different engine to get rid of the limitations of the engine (movement problems, etc...)

Yes, I read this. If you can make it keyboard compatible, I promise I'll play it and try to get a high score Tongue. I still have the intention to do so as mentioned in your thread ^_^

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2014, 10:48:55 PM »

Well, I have just released Alpha v0.4 you can download it from the OP. As always Feedback is always appreciated Smiley

The changelog:

1- Fixed a lot of the bugs found in the previous two versions.
2- The starting area now is smaller and the introductory mission is easier to accomplish.
3- The way you receive the main mission has changed.
4- A Quick Time Event system has been implemented. A test can be found in the Wide House in the first part of Town.
5- The item hint system has changed and it is more easier to identify key items.
6- Added 1-2 missions (dependent on which version you played you might find only 1 extra mission).

If you'd like to continue from a saved game (rather than test from the start -- although I recommend testing from the start), you can just copy the save game file into the newly created folder and start the game.

Bob_STE
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2014, 09:21:48 PM »

Thanks for sharing! For reference, I played v0.4.  To keep my feedback fresh, I haven't read any other comments yet.

I did enjoy stealing the attacker's money early on in the game, where I had to press arrow keys before the meter expired.  Short activities like this are a good way to add variety to the experience.  With some refinement, I think this could be a very valuable asset to the game.  I actually had a lot of trouble with it at first.  I think it took me five tries to figure out what I was supposed to do.  Perhaps the meter expires way to fast for this first experience.  If you could display the interface and then wait for the player to indicate that they're ready, I think this would be helpful.  I like the way this mechanic is used to navigate dialog, it would be nice if the interface was visible throughout the entire sequence.  Just a few tweaks could make this aspect very refreshing.

The download is 212 MB.  If you can produce a smaller build, it might have a significant impact on your feedback loop.

It would be nice if you could make the window larger.

Support for WASD keys would also be nice.

Thanks,
Bob

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 03:35:32 AM »

First allow me to thank you for trying the game and sharing your feedback, thank you very much! It is extremely helpful!

I completely agree with you on the time with the QTE, before launch I had it as close as 5 seconds wait for every single direction, but then said that was way easy. Since you don't die in the sequence and simply restart I had it as you saw. But I believe you are right so I am going to change that next build :D

Ahh, yes, I am sorry at the large file. It is mainly due to the music in the game being imported even if not used. I am working on the matter at the moment creating a list to reduce the download size. In fact I am looking into changing the engine as a whole to address the last point (larger screen). Maximum resolution supported is 640x489 and that still doesn't look all that good.
Hopefully next game update will have A LOT of changes that make things look better and easier.

Again, thank you very much and definitely your feedback has helped ^_^

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 06:12:38 PM »

I like to give feedback without reading the description or the already existing comments, first.  But, I cheated and saw Quicksilver mention how the artwork is obviously what comes with RPG Maker.  As someone who has never seen RPG Maker, it didn't have this effect on me.  And, as someone whose favorite game is FF4j, the graphics looked pretty cool to me.

The download is pretty large and took 2+ minutes to download.  That may effect the amount of feedback you're getting. 

I'm glad it's windowed because it makes it easier to give feedback.  But I think real gamers would want it full screen.

There's no indication of the controls.  I guessed correctly that it was arrow keys and space.

If memory serves me right, it's a little unusual for RPG narratives to be the way you wrote it.  They don't usually use "you" when describing things.  I just started, but I found that pretty weird.

Typo.  Should be discovery. http://imgur.com/qFgQgr1

No indication of how to move or really a clear indication that I'm supposed to move at this part.  http://imgur.com/DpTRvfc

Typo.  I think this should say "isn't moving".  http://imgur.com/vVqIXMS

I've decided to read your description and I see you posted the controls.  I'll use that from now on and stop commenting about how the game didn't tell me what they are Smiley

http://imgur.com/BwnUIw6 It's kind of weird that he says, "If you haven't already".  A real person would only say that if they couldn't see the book.  I think it's obvious to tell that he could see the book.  So either put the book somewhere he can't see, or change the dialog to be dynamic so he doesn't say this if you already picked it up.

I have a pretty new computer, but the game would stutter once in a while when I was moving around the house.

Will there EVER be a time where I don't want to be running?  As a player, I'd prefer to be always running and to press a button to walk rather than always walking and have to press a button to run.  But as a designer, I think it would be better to just be always running with no option to walk.

http://imgur.com/WNbzEM3 I think it's pretty weird to hide configuration settings in-game.  It kind of takes you out of immersion and I almost missed the option. 

I got the quest to go into the tent.  I totally couldn't tell that the upper left hand corner was a tunnel.  I stepped on it on accident.  It turned dark as soon as I did.  I then stepped out back into the tent and it was still dark.  Is this a bug, or a coincidence?  Screenshot: http://imgur.com/sJYQnbP

I was hoping there would be encounters in this tunnel, but it doesn't appear there are.  I'm getting bored of interacting with the environment and want to fight something.

It's light again after I went up to the storage tent.

The chests look like boxes.  I got lucky that I tried to interact with them, otherwise I wouldn't have expected it as a possibility. 

The dialog with Lina is pretty annoying.  It's a good thing I can use trial and error to figure out how to get her to come with me because it would make me quit if I had to go back up to her dad to figure out what answers she's looking for. 

Also, at such an early part of the game, I'd suggest making it a linear path to find her.  Those tunnels were kind of maze-like.

Typo on "dady" http://imgur.com/93Z8Ith

Ugh, apparently I can make it so she'll stop talking to me if I get the wrong answer.  She stopped talking to me, I went back to dad and he didn't help.  I give up  Shrug

Let me answer your questions:

I'd say the graphics

In your opinion, what was the worst thing in the game?

I found the typos pretty annoying.  They really took me out of the experience. 

I think the quests need to be more straight forward and easier to complete at the very beginning.  Make it HARD not to win.  Then when I'm addicted, you can ramp up the challenge.

Was there something missing that you were expected/wanted to have and didn't find?

Yes, I wanted to try battling, but I didn't get far enough.  Does your game have a battle system?

Can you describe your experience (and feelings) while playing the game?

Honestly it was kind of frustrating for the reasons I gave above. 

Not really, but to reiterate I'll say: Make the quests easier to finish.  Having a girl ask me 3 riddles in a row is not my idea of fun. 

Is this game supposed to be like a Bethesda game where you get a ton of side quests at once?  Because it felt like that.  I was 20% into one quest when I'd bump into someone who gave me a new one.  I'm an old school RPG player and I prefer linear stories and sequential side quests.  So take all my feedback with that in mind. 

Keep at it!  I hope this feedback helps Smiley

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 09:54:14 PM »

First allow me to thank you for taking the time and playing the game. I understand completely that there are things in there that are both frustrating and illogical at best.

That said the game is not an RPG, it is an adventure game with a mix of mechanics from a few genres. What it focuses on is to tell a story.

The controls SHOULD be stated when the game starts, but on purpose I didn't bother as I included them in the description and I understand that you didn't read it. It is a reminder that I should work on a better tutorial and total revamp of the starting area. That of course includes the options with the screen. It is a limitation that RPG Maker games "shouldn't" be resized, but you are able to. However since it is a work around things look awkward. That is why I implemented the change as an item in game and not an option (since it doesn't come as an option - it is a "hack").

The typos, yes, they are annoying and the reason behind that is that I didn't do a proofread pass on any part of the game and each time I iterate over the Alpha version it is in regards to gameplay and experience and not narrative wise (unless it is an implementation of a quest or change of one). But definitely will be reviewed when the new Alpha is released.

Funny you mentioned Skyrim and the journal thing as Skyrim type of games sometimes do the same thing. The lazy way of not checking for something Tongue. And that was the reason, I was lazy adding the extra thing so the dialogue would change. Just wanted to show the "feature" but you are ABSOLUTELY right, it will be changed with the previous mentioned revamping.

For running, I am with you on that one. However turns out RPG Maker gamers (or at least the fans) tend to like option (run while holding shift) so as an effort to not rule anyone out I left it like that. However, I am thinking of ways of including a menu in option that toggles Auto-run.

The size is something definitely I am working on. It is the software's default packaging method but that should be entirely changed next Alpha. Specially when it takes me close to 4 hours just to upload that file Tongue Trust me, it is far more a pain to me than anyone else (since I have to upload them often).

The darkness thing is definitely a bug and that is why when you returned another time it worked properly, I'll have to look into it. Thanks for letting me know.

There is no combat in the game. It is more like a mix between Skyrim's exploration and freedom (but of course in a MUCH MUCH smaller scale), The Walking Dead's puzzles and storytelling, and Indigo's Prophecy (Fahrenheit) Quick Time Events.

I tried to make that little girl as annoying as possible and see what kind of feedback I get with her. I wish I could have implemented Analytics but that wasn't an option. It was a test of how "patient" a player could be or rather willing to tolerate an encounter like that. Specially when it is all optional, you don't miss out on anything (a part from 3-4 lines of dialogue with the father when you get the quest).

At the end, I have to say that this was really quite helpful and a lot of what is mentioned is quite valid and I am glad you pointed it out as some of it was just pure stupidity from my end (like the balancing of hard quests, should have been near the end of the demo as you said). Again, thank you very much and I am sorry about the frustration and anger it may have caused.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2014, 01:42:38 AM »

Ah ok.  A lot of this is my mistake for not reading the description, but I think a lot of people will do the same thing.  It looked like a traditional JRPG, so I was treating it like one.  That especially includes waiting for a battle scene.

Vallar
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2014, 06:34:48 AM »

Of course people will do that. I should implement a tutorial, I was just lazy -- that is my mistake. As for the JRPG assumption, I am working on that.
I am trying to port the entire game to another engine and use custom graphics, that way I escape the pitfalls of using that engine.

But as I said, you really helped me a lot :D

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic