Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411953 Posts in 69435 Topics- by 58478 Members - Latest Member: Maiu

June 13, 2024, 08:36:35 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamesYou have got to be kidding me, I cannot believe it's been done.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: You have got to be kidding me, I cannot believe it's been done.  (Read 9393 times)
The-Imp
« on: January 07, 2009, 05:32:09 PM »

http://wii.ign.com/articles/942/942543p1.html

The Blue Wizard does NOT approve.
WizardHand Thumbs Down Right

Bree
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 05:39:59 PM »

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, after all. Just goes to show that 2D Boy were onto something.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 05:44:06 PM »

lame
TheBlackMask
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 05:49:03 PM »

The casual games market is hardly even worth it.  If you do make a good, successful game, the publishers have in-house development studios that can simply clone it in a matter of weeks.
moshboy
Level 8

i am the sick feeling in the pit of your stomach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2009, 05:50:35 PM »

It was only a matter of time. As it is with anything unique.

kyn
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2009, 05:54:13 PM »

Nothing is sacred, nothing is safe Tired
AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2009, 06:20:50 PM »

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=21352
You've recently announced Tiki Towers. Where did the idea for the game come from?

SA: Tiki Towers was conceived in the mind of designer Frank Boosman from Republic of Fun before the Wii launched in 2006. Excited by the promise of the new console, he felt that the Wii Remote would work great for games that required a lot of physical interactions. We’ve all played construction style games as kids and Frank felt that this would be a great use of the Wii Remote.

:S

neon
Level 10

DOHOHOHOHO

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2009, 06:24:14 PM »

SA: Tiki Towers was conceived in the mind of designer Frank Boosman from Republic of Fun before the Wii launched in 2006. Excited by the promise of the new console, he felt that the Wii Remote would work great for games that required a lot of physical interactions. We’ve all played construction style games as kids and Frank felt that this would be a great use of the Wii Remote.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »

Yeah, dude should at least own up to it. Hand Thumbs Down Left

Powergloved Andy
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2009, 06:57:41 PM »

Imitation is the sincerest form of plagiarism.

fix'd
battlerager
Level 10

I resent that statement.

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2009, 07:19:51 PM »

This.
Zaphos
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2009, 07:36:21 PM »

Wow, RealNetworks ... they've always been a shady company.  I didn't know they made games, though.
GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2009, 07:59:52 PM »

It would be nice for 2D Boy to make a lawsuit out of this and ideally set a legal precedent in our industry in regards to cloning.  I really don't like how accepted a practice it currently is.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2009, 08:06:09 PM »

It would be nice for 2D Boy to make a lawsuit out of this and ideally set a legal precedent in our industry in regards to cloning.  I really don't like how accepted a practice it currently is.

The ramifications of this would be much worse than "they can't copy my game now". Say hello to not being able to make any platformers!
Cray
Level 0

can't upload an avatar :(

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2009, 08:41:42 PM »

Why would they clone the making bridges part & not what made world of goo awesome?

▓█▓ rpg maker vx
▓█▓ cemetery manager
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2009, 08:45:19 PM »

The ramifications of this would be much worse than "they can't copy my game now". Say hello to not being able to make any platformers!
If the judge was very careful then they could ensure it was isolated to cases where the word "clone" can accurately be used.  There's a big difference between genre and clone; Mega Man certainly isn't a Mario clone whereas Great Giana Sisters is.
Glaiel-Gamer
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2009, 09:03:44 PM »

It's a fuzzy area since you can't protect an individual mechanic and often times the good games are just weird combinations of those mechanics (braid = mario * prince of persia in a simple sence)
Anthony Flack
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2009, 10:03:14 PM »

It's an ugly, ugly area that is best kept well away from lawyers. We do NOT want litigious companies sticking their oars into our creative pool. If you don't patent your game mechanic you have to expect to see it recycled. Shamelessly. I mean fuck, look at Tetris. That game got cloned into the dust by just about every person who ever learned to code. Once an idea is out there, it's out there.

As unfair as that may seem sometimes, and as much as some people really suck, it sure beats the alternative (everyone creative sued into oblivion, independent games crushed through lack of legal clout). If you have a good idea it's up to you to capitalise on it before somebody else does, and 2D Boy have done that, so no need to feel too bad.

It does really bug me when people don't own up to it though. Years ago, I read an interview with the author of Snood, who talked about the inspiration for the game being this and that, darts and pool and whatever, when the game was of course lifted directly from Puzzle Bobble. I, um, well I ended up having a big webforum bitchfight with him about it until he admitted it.

Currently in development: Cletus Clay
Zaphos
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2009, 10:26:23 PM »

Yes, keep the lawyers far far away ...

It does really bug me when people don't own up to it though. Years ago, I read an interview with the author of Snood, who talked about the inspiration for the game being this and that, darts and pool and whatever, when the game was of course lifted directly from Puzzle Bobble. I, um, well I ended up having a big webforum bitchfight with him about it until he admitted it.
I'm surprised he eventually admitted it! :D
GregWS
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2009, 10:48:13 PM »

It's a fuzzy area since you can't protect an individual mechanic and often times the good games are just weird combinations of those mechanics (braid = mario * prince of persia in a simple sence)
Fair enough; I just really hate clone games.
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic