Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 01:34:52 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video  (Read 51690 times)
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: August 04, 2015, 05:29:40 AM »

The game is generally intended to be dark/isolated/creepy/scary (as well as other things too, of course) but I don't think that means I can't use colors. I am, for instance, a huge fan of PINK!!

http://www.gfycat.com/SnivelingImprobableEchidna

Games need more pink.

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: August 04, 2015, 05:38:42 AM »

Looks amazing. The color palette is one of my favorite things about this game. I also try to be pretty liberal with my color choices for my horror game (although not quite this bright), but I think more games should experiment with colors like this. Awesome job.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: August 04, 2015, 05:42:39 PM »

^ thank you so much Smiley I love colors. The last long gen on consoles made me starving for colors, so when I entered indie development I decided I wanted colors.

mayutastic
Level 0

aiyah~

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 04, 2015, 06:30:08 PM »

Wow this game has really impressive visuals and I like your designs. Those mutations somewhat remind me of that movie District 9 (not necessarily a bad thing). Definitely putting this one on my wishlist, even if I likely won't have a computer capable of running it for a while. Tongue
jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #204 on: August 05, 2015, 04:59:13 AM »

This game looks so incredibly beautiful... I am extremely intrigued as to how you work with Stencyl, do you use any of the drag and drop interface? Are there any art creation/animation tools that you use within it? If not what is your asset creation pipeline like? Sorry for the bombardment of questions, I am looking forward to this game immensely.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: August 05, 2015, 11:43:56 AM »

Thank you so much guys Smiley

Hmm. Stencyl is an odd duck. It's a very basic, beginner centric tool in some ways, but very deep and awesome in other ways. It was originally conceived as a little game making tool, primarily with small flash games and mobile games in mind, so that newcomers to game dev could give it a shot. I'm just stretching it to be used as a full stand alone game maker, and as such it puts me in an odd situation, as the tool is limited in some ways that are really annoying but the logic building is hard to beat.

I do my art all in photoshop, and I also animate in photoshop. I rig up characters and animate them frame by frame and then make spritesheets and input them into stencyl to use. In the future I plan to use spine 2d. Stencyl doesn't currently have native support for spine 2d, but it's possible and it may be added soon.

jctwood
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: August 06, 2015, 01:38:48 AM »

Spine does look really powerful!

BanzaiBrigade
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: August 27, 2015, 08:31:18 AM »

I've been following your game on GAF for an age now, and as I don't have an account there I thought I'd drop in here to ask.

Will there be an option to disable the "grainy filter"? Ghost song looks brilliant visually but similar effects in previous games I've played tend to give me eye strain.

BrawlBeast currently on Kickstarter
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: August 29, 2015, 01:14:26 AM »

I've been following your game on GAF for an age now, and as I don't have an account there I thought I'd drop in here to ask.

Will there be an option to disable the "grainy filter"? Ghost song looks brilliant visually but similar effects in previous games I've played tend to give me eye strain.

I'm not sure yet if I'd let aspects of the presentation be left up to the user to decide, since it's part of the overall art direction, but I should point out that the nature of the grain filter and how prominent it is is always being tweaked and changed, and is different in some areas compared to others.

Incidentally, my Adult Swim producer demoed the game at a twitch hosted streaming event for PAX.

I couldn't be there this time, unfortunately, but I'll be there next time!

chariospirale
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: August 29, 2015, 03:47:32 AM »

awesome ! great mood in the game, the feeling of playing looks really good too !

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: September 29, 2015, 01:26:25 AM »

NPC boss that goes apeshit when low on health

http://www.gfycat.com/GloriousBasicGhostshrimp

Franklin's Ghost
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #211 on: September 30, 2015, 06:57:28 AM »

Been meaning to follow this for awhile and surprised I hadn't already commented on it. All looking amazing, love the design and atmosphere.

The boss fight is looking great, although to me it appears the NPC boss is looking down the whole time while attacking.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #212 on: September 30, 2015, 12:42:09 PM »

Thank you Smiley

Matilda is one of basically my world's version of what you might call a "zombie". She's not exactly alive. Her looking down is by design.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #213 on: September 30, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »

I put up an impromptu video of the encounter. It starts about 1 min in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdKuir7q4Uo&feature=youtu.be

Please don't watch unless you have audio. The sound is pretty key as often is the case.

Obviously a few things are rough around the edges, like the environment art is unfinished in a couple spots, etc. I didn't plan to make a video so not everything is 100% in order. Smiley

Bombini
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #214 on: October 01, 2015, 12:31:48 AM »

Fanatastic job!

Lugen
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: October 01, 2015, 08:05:19 AM »

Looks absolutely fantastic. Atmospheric for sure. I like the somewhat deceptive look of the game, where the colourful environments may first strike as a bit to the friendly side but you'll learn soon enough about its dark side. In a way it's like nature.
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: October 31, 2015, 05:54:41 PM »

Thank you Smiley

I uploaded 15 minutes of raw footage in 1080p for a friend of mine who wanted to include the game in a video for his youtube channel. Since I uploaded it, I thought I'd share it here. Most of it is from the early game but I do skip around a little bit. I'm also continuing to avoid showing certain things and certain areas so there are at least some surprises. This was raw footage exported in h.264 so there's a bit of degradation and it was also converted to 30 fps to reduce the upload size since his videos are made in 30 fps anyway.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/ghostsongfootage30fps.mp4

Careful because that's over a gig in size and it's 15 minutes long.

If I'm looking for any feedback it's particularly regarding the size of the character on screen. Is it too zoomed out? I frequently change my mind about this.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #217 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:48 AM »

New gameplay video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWr2BzDKySU&feature=youtu.be

ShinnyMetal
Level 0

I can makes musics!

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: December 06, 2015, 01:15:00 AM »

The dialogue hits that dark souls vibe in my heart so damn hard.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: December 12, 2015, 02:28:58 PM »

Thanks Smiley

Speaking of, I have implemented my distance based vocal scripting into the actual game now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zZ9i4VM-0g&feature=youtu.be

Basically, using Stencyl, with very limited sound options, I had to get creative in order to accomplish the effect of having voices taper off and change as you walk away. What's happening is each sound clip has a secondary sound clip that is the same thing, but prebaked with a lot of reverb and the highs and mids EQ'd away. It plays both of those sounds at the same time, on different channels, and it adjusts the mix between the two based on player distance.

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic