Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411526 Posts in 69381 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 02, 2024, 05:54:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsGhost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Ghost Song: Atmospheric sci fi 2D -- Up; new 25 minute gameplay video  (Read 51705 times)
twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: August 20, 2014, 10:02:22 AM »

how do i give you all of my money for this game?

you can't just yet. patience. in time, you and your money will be separated...  Well, hello there! thanks Smiley

Maybe I'm overlooking a previous post where you explain it, but, what are those satellites shooting orbs to the main character? Are those orbs ammunition? Looks like they're stealing it from the enemies. If so, it's quite innovative.

And I can't believe I've not asked this before. Is the main character a human? A woman maybe?

Keep up the good work. Ghost Song is going to be an amazing experience.

This is actually one of the only ways to get ammunition for your special gun (your regular gun has self-recharging ammo) other than at a save room.

There are support bots that, when activated (such as by coming close to them) will seek out the nearest bot and go feed ammo to it. the support bots cannot harm the player, but they will feed ammo to other bots which can. and if those other bots have ammo they are considerably hairier to fight against than if they didn't.

so one strategy would be to kill the support bots first (which you'll often have at least some opportunity to do) or try and preserve the support bots, because if all the enemies are dead, the support bot will end up feeding ammo to you the player instead -- but only if every droid is dead.

there are more dangerous enemy robots than just the floating droids seen in the video, which also benefit from being fed ammo by the support bots.

re. the identity of the player, it's not a robot, but giving all the details now may take some of the fun out of things. the nature of the player character is somewhat ambiguous to the player, at least initially.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: August 22, 2014, 03:40:55 AM »

with the new stencyl beta update I can now do this...

http://gfycat.com/EnchantingFormalDaddylonglegs

which is pretty nice. previously, the only way to set up scrollfactor on layers was through codeblocks, which involved some tedious guesswork to get things lined up perfect. now you can just do it properly in the scene editor.

unrelated.. I know you can't fully answer this question before playing the game, but it should tell you something that I can't decide --- what's better when running and pressing up at the same time (in other words, upright or upleft): aiming diagonally up, or aiming straight up? I keep going back and forth on it.

Ito
Level 0

Currently making "Spirit Huntress"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2014, 05:24:54 AM »

which is pretty nice. previously, the only way to set up scrollfactor on layers was through codeblocks, which involved some tedious guesswork to get things lined up perfect. now you can just do it properly in the scene editor.

unrelated.. I know you can't fully answer this question before playing the game, but it should tell you something that I can't decide --- what's better when running and pressing up at the same time (in other words, upright or upleft): aiming diagonally up, or aiming straight up? I keep going back and forth on it.

Oh man, do I envy you for that fancy scene editor.

As you may have guessed by the screenshot I posted earlier on GAF, I'm also using several layers to create that "parallax" effect (on Game Maker: Studio), but the only way to come up with the right coordinates for every layer is... trial and error. Which is a very infuriating way to lose time...

As for your little question, I'd choose aiming diagonally up. Specially if you're going to put a lot of small flying enemies. I'd like to bust them before getting below of them, just in case they wanted to drop something on me.

Twitter: @itoaragon
Tumblr: Spirit Huntress.
TheChaoticGood
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: August 22, 2014, 09:00:27 AM »

Right on man. Can't wait to see more.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 22, 2014, 09:03:07 AM »

Oh man, do I envy you for that fancy scene editor.

As you may have guessed by the screenshot I posted earlier on GAF, I'm also using several layers to create that "parallax" effect (on Game Maker: Studio), but the only way to come up with the right coordinates for every layer is... trial and error. Which is a very infuriating way to lose time...

As for your little question, I'd choose aiming diagonally up. Specially if you're going to put a lot of small flying enemies. I'd like to bust them before getting below of them, just in case they wanted to drop something on me.

interesting -- I'd be curious to see it in motion. gif it.

Right on man. Can't wait to see more.

thanks -- planning/hoping to put out the first demo build (first to select people, then once I feel a bit more comfortable, to the beta tier backers) next month.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2014, 10:05:43 AM »

this is a zombie within a power suit (which is presumably a bounty hunter -- there's a significant hunt going on for a particular mark as part of the game's context, and some of them end up deadish) that has a knack for turning up when you least expect it. I partly got the idea after playing Resident Evil Revelation, and sort of being delighted by Zombie Rachael coming back several times as you navigate the game.

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2014, 11:47:43 AM »

That looks fantastic, good idea. Reminds me a bit of SA-X in Metroid Fusion.

I've been following your posts on Gaf, had no idea you were on these forums too. Are you working full time on this, or do you have a part-time job?

*Edit* whoops my bad, i see you were successfully kickstarted

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2014, 06:12:43 PM »

That looks fantastic, good idea. Reminds me a bit of SA-X in Metroid Fusion.

I've been following your posts on Gaf, had no idea you were on these forums too. Are you working full time on this, or do you have a part-time job?

*Edit* whoops my bad, i see you were successfully kickstarted

thanks Smiley and yes, I have been given a great opportunity to make the game I've always wanted to make!

this isn't exactly new, but I think interesting because I keep redesigning this move and trying to figure out how exactly it fits into things.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 30, 2014, 12:21:23 PM »

been doing some more work on this guy, I'm not gonna show everything but I did think his colors could possibly be changed up a bit.

this is sort of how I drew him initially:

I noticed in-game, after the post processing, he looked pretty similar to the player in terms of coloration. so I tried going with an orange scheme:

http://gfycat.com/DeafeningSoggyBuckeyebutterfly

think that works?

DocLogic
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: August 30, 2014, 02:02:58 PM »

Ya, I think that orange looks great, big improvement (not that it looked like an improvement was needed). Love how you are obsessing over these tiny details! You seem to have a ton of artistic integrity.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: August 30, 2014, 04:15:11 PM »

Ya, I think that orange looks great, big improvement (not that it looked like an improvement was needed). Love how you are obsessing over these tiny details! You seem to have a ton of artistic integrity.

thanks - you give me too much credit, but I'll take the compliment. XD

made more tweaks to it, trying to look at it against another backdrop but the squids won't leave me alone.

http://gfycat.com/BraveCooperativeDotterel

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: August 31, 2014, 06:03:00 PM »

this is Gili, an important character in the game and one who will appear many times throughout the game.

I've had her design in mind for ages now, but never got around to designing her on paper until today. The goal is to keep it practical and have a makeshift quality to it, since she's been surviving alone on a hostile world for a year, with an added goal of keeping the design relatively plain because of the amount of animation she has.

twotimingpete
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: September 02, 2014, 05:27:00 PM »

decided I could help improve the pacing of the game simply by putting in a temporary "forced walkmode" when you approach story moments (and no enemies around, of course). AAA games do this a lot, but it's one of their ideas I actually think is pretty good.

http://gfycat.com/FeminineNimbleAtlasmoth

thoughts?

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 02, 2014, 07:00:25 PM »

If it's done right, it could work. It'd need the right kind of tone set in atmospheric effects &/or music maybe, otherwise I feel like it could constrict the pacing. But I suppose if the forced walking coincides with the introduction of dialogue it'd feel appropriate.
McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 03, 2014, 11:28:55 AM »

This is looking great! The parallaxing you showed a bit ago and that power zombie are pretty damn cool. I do love the concept of a powerful enemy that won't leave you alone.
Tcrakman
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: September 03, 2014, 01:56:54 PM »

I veĀ“been following your devlog for a while, i love everything about it! the concept art, the detail in the characters ,enviroment and that sweet gameplay that only gets better and better. Really looking forward to play it!
That zombie in the power suit looks really badass by the way.

muki
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2014, 03:55:07 AM »

Just discovered this..... it looks like stuff patched right out of my brain! So amazing looking!  Shocked

I love:
-dark sci-fi
-the high contrast
-metroid
-the art. good god that art...
cultus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2014, 04:55:48 AM »

This game looks excellent. I'm really impressed by the aesthetic/art direction. Your concept art almost reminds me of Appleseed but the game itself feels more like metroid meets resident evil. All positive points. Looking forward to seeing where this goes.
PeteHuf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2014, 03:19:59 PM »

I'm really excited to see where this project goes. I love the art!

Biodrome Devlog! Competitive exploration in procedural platformer adventure worlds.
BarelyHuman
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2014, 06:28:30 PM »

Hey! Just wanted to drop in and say I've been keeping an eye on this project for a while and I think it looks great! It was one of the games that inspired me to start my own devlog. Smiley Best of luck to you!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic