Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 12:15:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperArtWorkshopI tried using a color theme for my UI and it looks terrible. Why?
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: I tried using a color theme for my UI and it looks terrible. Why?  (Read 1014 times)
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« on: August 06, 2014, 08:01:14 PM »

I'm trying to improve the color palette of my UI.  Here's what I did:

1. I went to kuler and found these colors that I kind of like.

2. I made some pixel art with it, and I kind of like the way it turned out:

3. I tried to apply this to my game's UI as a whole, and it looks terrible:

I don't really understand where I went wrong.  Is it the colors?  Is it the way I'm using them?  Do some color themes work for tiny graphics but not for UIs?  I'd like some help to go in the right direction.  Thanks!

Glyph
Level 10

Relax! It's all a dream! It HAS to be!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 08:18:40 PM »

It's mostly the colors - they don't contrast enough! The border and background colors are very close in every regard, but it's mostly their very low saturation. Not the best for HUD/UI elements. I did a quick 'n' sloppy edit for you:

If you're dead-set on that palette, though... it would be hard, but not impossible. You'll just have to make use of the brighter colors for anything you want to be easily distinguished (like the borders).

On to less general things - the font you're using has aliasing, which conflicts quite a bit with the style a low-color palette brings. It's not a huge deal, but it might help aesthetic if a non-aliased font were used instead. Another thing to consider is readability - if you want the player to read through the list and see a familiar image, consider making your item images take up more of the panel. On the contrary, if the main thing for them to look out for is a certain stat, make the numbers for the stat prominent. Right now there's a lot of empty space in panels, which you'd preferably want to reduce to 0 - the panels should have just enough space on them to show everything important (and not feel cluttered). I'd also recommend eventually using logos to represent things like Damage and Speed, since those are fairly easy to understand in logo form and help with readability.

tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 08:25:17 PM »

I guess I have to understand saturation better before I continue. 

Am I wrong in thinking that this palette worked out ok on the pixel art, or does it have the same problems?

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic