Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 05:18:12 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsOBS
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: OBS  (Read 7429 times)
Flex
Level 0

2D and 3D artist, Game dev when possible <3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2014, 04:16:32 PM »

Yo ! Day 5 (more like Night but yeah)

I really wanted to get rid of these nasty keyboard controls for rotations and interactions, so here we are !
Basically, the player can now interact with the mechanisms using the mouse left button. GUI appears when the center of the screen (the invisible mouse) goes above an interactive element.

And then you just have to click to push/rotate/pull. The controls are a lot more comfortable this way, the only thing is that it's now annoying to have to move the mouse on each on these things. I'll first tweak a bit the totem, but then do you have ideas on how I could improve it ? I also have a bit of inertia on the player camera movements that I'd like to keep even though it worsen the thing.
Also notice how cool it is that the GUI actually immediatly teach the player that these abtract symbols actually mean "left","right" and "push".

About OBS basic design layout now :
I wanted the game to focus on concentric circles patterns as I'm fascinated by the design that comes out and how absolute it feels. Everything in the game need to be linked in a way to this. Searching a bit, I came with a lot of concepts around it : from circles, rotations to sky and planets, armillary spheres, crop circles, sephirotic tree...
On the more gameish side, I wanted to have a simple system of "combinations opening doors". To fit the intentions, all these combinations needs to involve a circular movement.

Discussing with a game designer from the company where I'm having my internship now, I realized there's 3 key elements.
1- The way you tell the solution : In other words, how you'll make the player understand something like "oh so the combination is left-right-right-right !", hiding the answer in some original way everytime.
2- The way the answer itself is expressed. For now I have found that my left-right combinations could be expressed by simply telling the rotation of each input (like left or right), or by having a more abstract position wich is inputs adding on top of each other (if X is facing me and that I rotate two times left 90° it will then be considered facing the opposite side).
3- The medium of the interaction : Now there's the totem, but some others are planned. Plus it's also interesting as I said the first day to break the rules you established with your basic medium, reusing it another way.

These 3 elements can be combined in a lot of ways leading to endless possibilities. I never thought I could come out with something that dense with a simple totem rotation when clicking on its sides.

Taking the example of this door of the observatory : The way to tell the solution is litteraly written (HD picture here to see it), the way the answer is expressed is simple inputs, and the medium is the totem (that need to be changed).

Ok that's probably enough for today I think. Tomorrow I'll probably speak of the day and night cycle. I also need to talk one day about all the world part and how it is designed around the concentric circles.

All the latest stuff is @FlexRoman
Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 02:39:20 AM »

Hey ! Day 7 !

Time to talk about the day and night cycle :

As the lightings are super cheap in the game, an early idea I had was to add a day and night cycle to have a constant evolution of the landscape. But making such a complex system of lightings changing all the time can seem hard. Thanks to Renaud Bédard and his genius ideas on FEZ, we've got the easiest way possible. On his talk "Cubes all the way down" about his work on the game (wich I highly recommend you) he've shown a ridiculously simple method for this. Thanks to my friend and great dev Tom a.k.a Robotic that coded and gave me his version (made for his pretty

) it's implemented.

Basically, your script will read lines of pixels, the horizontal axis corresponding to the time of the day. Each pixel corresponding to a precise instant of the day, the final color result in a constant lerping between the previous and the coming color. Then you assign this color to wathever you want. Here, each line is assigned to something different.

Many cool things come out of this :
- First it's super easy to vizualize and tweak this system. It's a lot more simple that coding nodes and assigning colors. And you get the big picture of the mood of the game in one small image.
- Plus the multiple rows allow you to synchronize a lot of elements and features to this cycle. On the picture above, I tried to make things appear and disappear following the time of the day. I'm also planning on using the color values to assing 'em in some more complex elements, like for example a building only rising at the sunset.
- Proteus pushed this idea very further than that. There's a main big colored texture that assigns every color of every element of the game at any given time, considering the time of the day and the season. It's a crazy idea that works great and it's super mod-friendly as anybody can change these values (Purgateus from Devine Lu Linvega to see further).

Also now that I have an "time of the day" float that is independant from unity's time or the game's framerate, it's easy to synchronize it to other scripts to have a control over time. This is a feature I hope to work on once I'm done with the basic design.

That's it for the day and night cycle, hope you'll find this as interesting as I do. Tomorrow is again cleaning, maybe gameplay, hopefully sound. Is there anything in particular that you'd like to hear about ? Otherwise I think I'll wait a few days for the next log.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 04:29:28 AM by Flex » Logged

Impmaster
Level 10

Scary, isn't it?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 04:26:46 AM »

this is cool

Do I need a signature? Wait, now that I have a Twitter I do: https://twitter.com/theimpmaster
Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2014, 11:50:50 AM »

Hi people, sorry for being abstent that long, I was kept busy between the Ludum Dare, finishing an internship and thinking on what to to next on OBS.

So here's kind of the result of my thoughts.

The game is highly focused on a day and night cycle, and time passing, so let's go deep into this. I want to play with spacetime and it will probably be the purpose of the upcoming playground, the Distant Desert :

It's weird to start working on a new place without having finished the major one, but I think it's better to work on the major concept ideas first and then polishing/wiring the result.
I don't have a lot to show, I'll be working on this starting soon so you can see the whole production pipeline from start to something looking good.

Also the major purpose of this post was this gif of the black hole I'm trying to make

There we go, I will try to post more often in the upcoming weeks
« Last Edit: September 10, 2014, 01:32:37 PM by Flex » Logged

ignism
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2014, 11:32:01 PM »

Just made an account to say that this looks amazing and is very inspiring.
Keep it up!
primaerfunktion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2014, 02:13:52 AM »

Sweet! So going to steal this day and night cycle technique.  Beer!

RK3000 - A city destruction game inspired by Godzilla and Megazords.
DevlogIndieDB

twitter.com/primaerfunktion
pottering
« Reply #26 on: October 12, 2014, 10:46:43 AM »

really cool looking game and really informative posts, following
ephoete
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:20 PM »

Now the game's getting truly poetic, awesome.

Check out my Soundcloud! https://soundcloud.com/edgar-phoete
jamesprimate
Level 10

wave emoji

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2014, 02:55:02 PM »

so nice

rj
Level 10

bad, yells

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2014, 03:25:49 PM »

world needs more mystlikes

i mean that honestly

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2014, 04:41:17 PM »

This is way sweet. I can already feel the feels I'd feel playing this game  Gomez

McMutton
Level 10

McMutton

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2014, 10:36:30 PM »

This is tasty as hell, I'll have you know. The Distant Desert is quite a vista.
SolarLune
Level 10

It's been eons

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2014, 07:05:35 AM »

Sweet black hole effect, and that door scene is super slick.

Andy Rhetoric
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »

Said it before and I'll say it again. Love the art style and hope to see more updates soon!
ElVaquero
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 23, 2014, 12:12:16 PM »

Holy wow this is gorgeous.

The colors. The COLORS.  Who, Me? Who, Me?
Flex
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2014, 02:53:13 PM »

Hi, sorry for not having updated since a long time and thanks for the interest y'all sharing for this. I'm really busy right now working on Anarcute (I'll hopefully have time to spend time on its devlog too) and I'm kept busy with my studies for the rest of the time.

I have a ton of new ideas I can't wait to add, I'll keep you in touch.

Again, thanks :D

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic