Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 07:57:31 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsNoct - "Now on Kickstarter!"
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Noct - "Now on Kickstarter!"  (Read 11469 times)
spacejack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2014, 09:19:14 AM »

The monsters are awesomely creepy! Great look and feel to this. Are those 2D animations or 3D rendered from above? I'm curious about how you created them if you don't mind explaining the process.
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2014, 09:34:33 AM »

The monsters are awesomely creepy! Great look and feel to this. Are those 2D animations or 3D rendered from above? I'm curious about how you created them if you don't mind explaining the process.

Hi Spacejack,

Thank you for your feedback!
The Animations are done in 3D, however it is completely rendered in 2D within Unity. Every section of the monster/character is a 2D pixel art sprite, which are then linked together to build the body/skeleton of the entity. At which point I animate everything using Mecanim. Smiley

Bit of an odd process, but I'm pretty pleased with the end result.

-c3sk
spacejack
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:34 AM »

That's great. There are tons of advantages to using 2D hacks. Simple models with apparent high-detail features. Lets it run on lower-end hardware with plenty of room for other effects.
tieTYT
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2014, 09:45:40 AM »

Hi Spacejack,

The Animations are done in 3D, however it is completely rendered in 2D within Unity. Every section of the monster/character is a 2D pixel art sprite, which are then linked together to build the body/skeleton of the entity. At which point I animate everything using Mecanim. Smiley

What's the benefit of this over rendering the whole thing in 3D?

c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2014, 09:52:45 AM »

Hi Spacejack,

What's the benefit of this over rendering the whole thing in 3D?

I would say better perspective and depth control. Pretty much the same reasons as to why some would prefer a 2d platformer vs a 3d platformer. Smiley

-c3sk
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: September 03, 2014, 03:55:45 PM »

I'm glad this is on kickstarter. I'm a huge fan of this top down style as proof I'm just ganna leave this tech demo from 2011 right here. Perhaps you have seen it? lol

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=519483&hl=

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 03, 2014, 04:10:50 PM »

I'm glad this is on kickstarter. I'm a huge fan of this top down style as proof I'm just ganna leave this tech demo from 2011 right here. Perhaps you have seen it? lol

http://gmc.yoyogames.com/index.php?showtopic=519483&hl=

Nice! I've never seen that! Though back in 2011 I was probably off rebuilding a windows server up in northern Canada somewhere. Wink

Originally Noct rotated the camera with the player, which made it more like an FPS shooter, but I opted for a Hotline Miami style control system to better support gamepads. I use a similar Line of sight system for environment and enemies. Though, nobody seems to care about any of that... even though bringing it all together for multiplayer was a PITA.

-c3sk
RealityShifter
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: September 03, 2014, 04:36:29 PM »

I'm just glad to see more top down shooters. Line of sight is tricky, not only to program but to get used to as a players for top down.

Creativegametheory.com
@theorygeorgiou
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 06, 2014, 05:47:46 PM »

I'm just glad to see more top down shooters. Line of sight is tricky, not only to program but to get used to as a players for top down.

Yea I hear ya! I thought it would be an interesting platform to put a neat spin on. Smiley

-c3sk
Scion
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2014, 06:41:05 PM »

I backed this on Kickstarter, impressive Imgur showing in the last few days my friend!

-Judexis
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2014, 06:56:17 PM »

I backed this on Kickstarter, impressive Imgur showing in the last few days my friend!

Hah! I literally just saw you post your project on here and commented. Great art style in your game, I really dig it.

Thanks RE: Kickstarter/Imgur. Luckily the game was supported by my fellow Imgurians... I just had no idea it would blow up on there like that. Surprised the hell out of me. Smiley

-c3sk
c3sk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2014, 10:35:58 PM »

Update:

Kickstarter IS NOW FUNDED! Stretch goal time! -- New GIF's from the latest update.

-c3sk
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic