Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411517 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 12:29:09 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGamessuper mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Author Topic: super mario 64-likes of the past 5 years?  (Read 24343 times)
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: January 07, 2015, 02:30:29 PM »

what's jet set willy?

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 07, 2015, 02:55:10 PM »

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=jet+set+willy
SirNiko
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 07, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »

what's jet set willy?

Jet Set Willy is a flickscreen platformer for the ZX spectrum in the early 80s. The player navigated a nonlinear series of interconnected rooms in a huge mansion with the objective of collecting all of Willy's scattered items to gain access to the final room. Hence, it was a predecessor to the modern "collect-a-thon".
gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2015, 11:12:14 PM »

thanks, you two.

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2015, 09:29:40 AM »

I am making 3D platformer in Unity right now (art style: Untextured, flat-shaded polygons), and it would be done by now if not for one nasty bug I've got regarding character movement.

I read the first part and the end is exactly how I imagine it back then ... unity engine is not suited for serious 3D platformer, thrust me I lost some hair there, I'll try again, and i'll try godot, the description of the collision engine looks way more promising.

Well, I've managed to squish that bug, now working on level editor (I plan to make it so powerful that I actually can make in-game levels with it). For now I am in concept phase. I basically know how I will edit objects (plan to make similar position/rotation/scale widgets like in the Unity editor), just don't know how to put up selectors/etc. so it'll be ergonomic. Maybe I'll use system like in Minecraft's creative mode (pop-up "inventory" + hotbar for most used things). Hm...

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2015, 09:32:40 AM »

also:

look skool but but will probably be hit with a c&d

Doubtful. Nintendo isn't known to send C&D letters, even with high-profile fan games, like Super Mario Forever. I don't think they'll even care unless you start to make money out of it.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
shinygerbil
Blew Blow (Loved It)
Level 10

GET off your horse

View Profile WWW
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2015, 09:35:21 AM »

Except when they (albeit temporarily) got Smash pulled from Evo 2014, and started pulling youtubes

olücæbelel
Fallsburg
Level 10

Fear the CircleCat

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2015, 12:39:22 PM »

Well, I don't know if it's been tested but Iwata said last November that all fangames are fine (although monetization is another issue).
http://www.4gamer.net/games/999/G999905/20141117079/
s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2015, 01:57:37 PM »

ya but this looks like something that could potentially compete with an official mario 64 remake if it was a little more polished and, u know, actually finished, even if it wasn't commercial.

companies are often tolerant of legit fangames (i.e. "original" games based on their IP), but fan REMAKES often get the c&d treatment.
gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2015, 03:39:14 PM »

It also depend onhow much it reuse original source material (see skywind C&D reborn with original assets)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 10, 2015, 03:52:07 PM »

did skywind actually get a c&d?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 10, 2015, 06:00:07 PM »

the former version where they were porting morrorwind assets to skyrim, now they are doing everything from scratch and are fine

Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #132 on: January 14, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »

i bought the ratchet and clank collection for vita yesterday because it was on sale. the only experience i had with it was playing the psp game in the series years ago. i can say this for certain: ratchet and clank 1 is not a super mario 64-like. it's weird because i think the game is often clever and well-written and the level design is okay, too. but ratchet, though animated well controls like absolute butt. he is the mushiest-controlling character in an otherwise pretty good platformer i've played. also while the levels have multiple objectives they're mostly off in different little sub-levels rather than laid out on the same map. plus it's mostly combat-focused. i think of all the sony mascot platformers (geez there's a lot, huh), spyro is probably closest to mario-64, followed by the first jak and daxter (which is closer to banjo-kazooie tbh). haven't played ape escape, though.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 14, 2015, 07:03:13 PM »

there is no true clone of mario 64, not even the sequel, no game has replicated teh control, only the progression structure, which is the easiest thing to do!

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 14, 2015, 07:09:42 PM »

gimmy, can you give us a reasonably detailed breakdown of how mario galaxy is worse than 64 platforming-wise? i "feel" it when i play both games back to back but i cant articulate waht the difference is. is it just about the freeform aspect of 64 lacking in galaxy or is there more to it?
gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 14, 2015, 07:34:01 PM »

- First is ground movement, galaxy is more snappy, 64 has more "natural" and longer friction.
Try to do a "side jump" in galaxy, in 64 I can do a front side jump by going forward, pulling back to slide and rotate the slide to forward and jump (so I don't have to do crouch jump). In galaxy the slide is significantly shorten and feel bad. Leaning don't have has much nuance too

- It's a bit more laggy, maybe one frame, I don't know, it definitely don't feel like mario 64 and it might be slower and more floaty. Reaction to collision are less "reactive", fail collision instantly send mario flying back in mario 64, less so in galaxy.

- "sloppier" collisions (by nintendo standard), if you jump on the edge of a platform and miss by a small margin (notably moving platform) mario hang in the air for some frame and slide out, in 64 it trigger a fail collision or an instant snap, it also have the bug where mario "flicker" in and out of state, still more satisfying than galaxy.

- less control overall, mario 64 as 16 jumps, with punching doubling as control modifier (forward jump, punch or slide kick). Spin move is a sloppy replacement (hidden move I didn't know: ground pound WHILE spin move have a homing effect if an enemy is close!)

- level design favor slow and deliberate movement in galaxy over improvising and exploring. It's about ride and spectacle.

- Galaxy have better moving platform as when you jump in mario 64 you don't move with the platform. Swimming is better in galaxy.

galaxy manual
http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/gameslist/manuals/Wii_Super_Mario_Galaxy.pdf

mario 64
http://s3.amazonaws.com/szmanuals/b3a3fbf02b2af80bcae8c46335703a37

Mario 64 is just more tactile. Just compare the flying items in both.

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 14, 2015, 07:37:04 PM »

@sil

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh_YGsEFsO8

gimymblert
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 14, 2015, 07:41:55 PM »

Another key distinction:

Mario 64 -> surprise (stumble on unexpected things)
galaxy -> awe (epic scenery and situation)

s0
o
Level 10

eurovision winner 2014

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 15, 2015, 05:42:41 AM »

thanks thats some great info!
Tanner
Level 10

MMPHM *GULP*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: January 15, 2015, 10:31:52 AM »

oh yeah, gimmy gets it. although i'm going to disagree with you on the swimming. i hate galaxy swimming, unless you have a green shell. then it's kind of fun. i think the oxygen meter in galaxy is laughable in length. they might as well not even have it. even in the prankster comet levels in galaxy 2 it's never an issue.

i might have said this earlier in the thread, but i think the green stars in galaxy 2 might be the closest thing to 64 in recent years. it's a shame that you have to go through so much to even access them, though.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 18
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic