Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411504 Posts in 69373 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:29:26 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperBusinessWhat's in a name - do you use your 'real name'?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: What's in a name - do you use your 'real name'?  (Read 31008 times)
William Broom
Level 10

formerly chutup

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2009, 06:15:05 AM »

I think a nickname is fine on forums, but if I make a proper game, I will put my real name on it. Seems to make sense that way, since it's hard to imagine you would establish any kind of 'brand' by posting on forums, that you would want to carry over to your game.

J.G. Martins
Level 2

AKA anvilfolk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2009, 06:41:21 AM »

You can't even make an online order properly with a name like João. The tilde is deadly, apparently. If I ever make a noteworthy game, I'll put my actual name on it. How about a stage name for developers? Heh. At least it'd let you pick cooler name if yours is "meh".

Gold is for the mistress -- silver for the maid --
Copper for the craftsman cunning at his trade.
"Good!" cried the Baron, sitting in his hall,
"But iron, cold iron, is the master of them all."
--- Rudyard Kipling
Cymon
Level 9

Computer Kid

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »

My real name, Joe Larson, is all too common. It's kinda disapoining to google yourself and realize you have a lot of competition for the top spot. So now I'm kinda okay with my current trend of associating everything with a unique "brand name" I'm trying to develop, Cymon. I kinda miss my old nic, guesst, but it really didn't mean anything, so it really wasn't doing me any good. I guess I've just outgrown it.

Cymon's Games, free source code, tutorials, and a new game every week!
Follow me on twitter
Chris Whitman
Sepia Toned
Level 10

A master of karate and friendship for everyone.

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2009, 10:10:42 AM »

My forum nickname isn't even an actual nickname of mine -- it's just what I put down for forums because I never know what else to put. Should I switch up to my actual name?

Maybe.

Formerly "I Like Cake."
andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2009, 10:20:55 AM »

I just go with Andy if possible most places, Andy_W, for my name, Andy Wolff, some other places, and long ago I used to go with Andy0_0Black for some reason. I don't register with that anymore because it's kind of a worthless nick. I just never really thought of a good alias, I guess.

but alas, there are lots of Andys everywhere
   Apoplectic

I personally prefer to use my name, but I can see why an alias would be good if I wanted to be anonymous .

AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2009, 12:19:50 PM »

But Im Andy W Smiley

I use to go by the nick: addiktive
But now just use my fullname and country for everything...

Hayden Scott-Baron
Level 10

also known as 'Dock'

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2009, 12:55:09 PM »

But now just use my fullname and country for everything...
What about if you move?

twitter: @docky
AndyWiltshireBPA
Level 1

BulletProofArcade.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2009, 12:56:37 PM »

Heh. Doesnt matter, it still represents where Im from Wink

andy wolff
Level 10

-------

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2009, 01:22:05 PM »

But Im Andy W Smiley

balls.

kavs
Level 2

Brad Kavanagh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 12:43:39 PM »

My name is unique enough that I never thought I'd have any competition for being ontop of the search engine results. Little did I know...

If you search for "Brad Kavanagh" on Google, I'm the 4th result. The other top 3? All about THIS GUY.

Apparently, he's an up-and-coming Disney superstar. I'm getting fanmail (and more recently, hatemail) and I have about 200 pending friend invites on my Facebook. What's worse? His music is awful.

This is the reason any real-world contact information was taken off my site, including gutting my resume. I got a few phone calls from numbers I had never seen before, confusing me with him. I even had someone e-mail me saying they love my music, and good luck with my video game career.  Undecided

So to get back on track with this thread, I guess I will stick with Kibble or Kibbler for now, as that's been my handle for years and years in everything I did. I'll probably have to change it one day. BKav or Kibb are some other alternatives I've looked into... we'll see.

BONUS CONTENT: Facebook Fanmail \o/

"hey brad, i dont know if u remember me but i was at the camp rock event last year where we had to sing and dance. u cant miss me coz i was the biggest one there lol. btw, i work 4 disney channel asia so i was wondering if u could give me the strings one the business. anyways tc. cya Wink"

"emember tomevans92 on cod 5 well tha was me f this is the real brad kavanagh u cunt ur only famous for bein in kid things an bily elliot sucked

but ur still a wanker

an eh y u callled callum75 on psn if ur names brad?"

"Hi Brad

I'm Miles - dad of Henry, George and Ruby who you met at the Camp Rock event at Danceworkson August 10th. Just wanted to send a quick message to say thanks for looking after them and giving them such a terrific morning. They all had a blast and Henry was especially excited to meet you and to win the dance prize.
Charlotte and Colette at Disney Channel have sent us some photos from the day. You've probably seen them already, but in case you haven't, I've put them on my profile page:
http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=49544&l=9e71b&id=579967110

Thanks again and best wishes
Miles"

Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 21, 2009, 01:50:48 PM »

I'm 14 and my parents are afraid of Internet Predators, so this I never put any contact information on anything. If I have to be known as something, I'm usually just Strong.
Queight
« Reply #51 on: January 22, 2009, 06:43:55 AM »

My name is unique enough that I never thought I'd have any competition for being ontop of the search engine results. Little did I know...

If you search for "Brad Kavanagh" on Google, I'm the 4th result. The other top 3? All about THIS GUY. (...)
Maybe your photo on your site could help? Smiley

I was thinking about this some time before, and because of this topic I changed my nickname to my real name on this board and on another one.
Although my full name is: Hadrian Węgrzynowski which is hard for english speakers to pronounce. Wink
handCraftedRadio
The Ultimate Samurai
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #52 on: January 22, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »

Kibble, you should cash in on your unfortunate situation. Make a game that targets that weirdo's target audience and then sell it to them. If you don't say anything about not being that kid, then his fan's will think it's his game and buy it.  Hand Money Left :D Hand Money Right cha-ching!

mjau
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 22, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »

There's plenty of other people calling themselves mjau.  Whenever I want to register somewhere, it's taken as often as not.  Also, it's a pretty common word in my language, so it's not easily googlable.  Nothing related to me on the first few pages, at least.  Doesn't really bother me though.

As for why I use it, no particular reason really..  I was tired of my old nick and had changed it to MjauMjau (a reference to the comics by jason) in an irc channel I frequent.  When I registered here, I had a burst of amazing originality and shortened it to just mjau, and later changed it to mjau other places too.  It also happens to be a bastardization of my middle name.
godsavant
« Reply #54 on: January 22, 2009, 07:06:18 PM »

Just use your alias, but make your real name available somewhere obscure. If your games are good enough, people will seek it out eventually.

This rule only applies to those over 18. Else you might get raped.
ஒழுக்கின்மை (Paul Eres)
Level 10

Also known as रिंकू.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: January 25, 2009, 11:47:44 AM »

Internet predators don't usually just see some random kid's name on the internet and break into their homes, so I think parents afraid of that are being too paranoid. Don't people watch 'how to catch a predator' or whatever that MSNBC show is called? It doesn't even happen like that on that show.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 25, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »

I use this name (Inanimate), almost all of the time. My real name is not extremely common, or extremely rare though. it is nice. But I just prefer Inanimate. And it feels weird when the internet calls me by my real name, so I almost never hand it out.
Mr. Yes
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: January 25, 2009, 01:17:58 PM »

I go by Mr. Yes just because the name is awesome.

GregWS
Level 10

a module, repeatable in any direction and rotation

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 25, 2009, 04:59:12 PM »

My forum nickname isn't even an actual nickname of mine -- it's just what I put down for forums because I never know what else to put. Should I switch up to my actual name?

Maybe.
This is the situation I'm in.  I don't really like revealing who I am online though, so I probably won't.  And I'm not planning on turning my indie game creating into a job, so "branding" isn't a problem.  Maybe down the road I'll switch things up, especially once I've got my own website, but who knows.
Strong
Level 1

Umm... okay.

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 25, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »

Internet predators don't usually just see some random kid's name on the internet and break into their homes, so I think parents afraid of that are being too paranoid. Don't people watch 'how to catch a predator' or whatever that MSNBC show is called? It doesn't even happen like that on that show.
Yeah- I know if something like that happens it's mainly the victim's fault- but parents are still parents so Strong I stay.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic