Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 07:02:42 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsFour Realms - Action strategy RPG in the animal kingdoms
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Four Realms - Action strategy RPG in the animal kingdoms  (Read 13437 times)
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2015, 03:38:56 PM »

Phew! A long time since my last update!

I don't have a fancy changelog this time. Most of my work recently has been on trying to polish the trailer and prepare marketing materials. (Exciting I know!) But the Trailer and Demo are nearly ready to go. I just have to put together some pages and I can go live with Kickstarter and Greenlight!

That isn't to say work hasn't been done. Check out this new feature. Allies will spread out when you idle so you can cast spells on them.

/center]

Four Realms. Action RPG. Platformer. Animals.
gereon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2015, 04:19:18 AM »

Really interesting and unique gameplay. Seems to have a deep complexity. Will this be like a combination of platformer&roleplay&strategy game?

Currently working on...
b∀ kkusa
Global Moderator
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2015, 05:21:19 AM »

sushi clouds are so weird
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 05:59:49 AM »

Replies!  Shocked And this is where I learn to set notifications.  Embarrassed

@bakkusa Sushi clouds! I guess you don't like the look of the clouds. Hmm Sushi, I guess the movement?

@gereon Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's a mix of all those. It's been hard to define a genre since it borrows from many, but if you like a game that challenges you to think I think it will be up your alley.

So whats new? Well tons of bug fixes. I think the demo is nearly ready to go! Also, new teaser and how to play videos!

Teaser:

How to Play:

And one week until Greenlight & Kickstarter! Anyone interested in supporting Four Realms from day one can check out the FB page: https://www.facebook.com/Hugebot

Edit: Wrong teaser link.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 10:01:39 AM by del » Logged

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2015, 06:51:03 PM »

Four Realms has a Demo! And Greenlight! And Kickstarter! And new Trailer!

They weren't kidding about giving yourself several months to put it together! It's been a lot of work and a lot fun! The fun is suprising to me. I think I fall in the overly introverted category.

Anyway, check out the trailer and demo and let me know what you think.
All questions, suggestions, and feedback welcome. Also any questions on KS/GL processes also welcome. Though my experience is limited.

-Del

Link Roll:
http://www.indiedb.com/games/four-realms/downloads/four-realms-early-access-alpha-demo

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/stats/462103939
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hugebot/four-realms

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2015, 07:52:11 AM »

Small update:

The Kickstarter is doing well so far and reached 10%! Also getting getting good feedback on Greenlight.

First Youtuber!

Also check out this awesome user story from Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/playmygame/comments/3di1zk/four_realms_demo_strategy_rpg_fantasy_animals/ct5yg2h

I also wanted to share these two links that I found most helpful when hitting the marketing end of things:
http://stonemaiergames.com/kickstarter/

Thanks for reading!

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2015, 11:05:30 AM »

Oh, man, KS & GL have slowed to crawl.  No No NO
If you have any suggestions I'm all ears.
Still working on things though!

Updated the blog several times!:
Earth Spells
Dashing Quail
Air Spells

And got  bit more press:
Cliquist

Game Starter

Four Realms did get KS Staff Pick! It's hard to keep motivation up at this point, but I'll keep on truckin'!
Thanks for reading. All questions, suggestions, and feedback are more than welcome!
-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2015, 07:40:29 AM »

Hey Everybody!

One of the key design goals of Four Realms is to celebrate nature. Now obviously, all the characters are based off of real world animals. But I wanted to take a few posts and actual focus on the environmental sub systems to Four Realms.

I wanted the environment in in the animal nations to both feel real and play a part in the game play. This means the day/night cycle that is common in many games isn't just for visual effects. They play a tangible role in the game.

Today is the first of two parts focusing on the environment systems, I call them the soft systems. These systems don't play as critical role in core loop of Four Realms. But a clever player can still use these systems to their advantage and build smart thematic Spell Lists.

Wind (Air Realm)

When the wind is really blowing you will notice trees sway more, sand will blow, clouds will dance, and the grass will rustle. The wind is more present when playing levels in the Strato-Sultanate.

If the wind is really high you will see gust blowing across the screen. This is when the true power of wind is harnessed. Wind Clouds placed through out certain levels be come usable and open new paths in the level. Certain beasts from the Strato-Sultanate gain buff enchantments when in wind. Such as the Cadet Sparrowhawk who gains a health buff if the wind strength is high enough.

Rain (Water Realm)

If you walk through the Fluid Coalition, rain is a common sight. The down pour of water from the sky is only natural in the Water Realm. But this simple site is a source of power. Rain Leaves blossom in the water, creating new areas to explore.

Many beasts of the Fluid Coalition gain bonuses when in water, more so than any other nation. They find themselves at home in their element. This is why Rain is one of the few environment spells. Call down the rain any time you want and power your Fluid Nation army.

Day (Fire) & Night (Earth)

The twin environment systems. It's quite a stunning sight when you see a sun or moon rise. And similar to their cousin systems they too create paths. Sun Flowers bloom in the Day, while Moon Shrooms grow at night.

Press

Four Realms got a shout out form Indie Game Lover: http://indiegamelover.blogspot.com/2015/07/indiegamelover-finds_24.html

And a very nice write up from Billy D at One Angry Gamer.

"What originally looked like a typical side-scroller eventually turned into something far more unique. "

http://blogjob.com/oneangrygamer/2015/07/four-realms-an-rpg-about-saving-a-fantasy-animal-kingdom/

Thanks for reading! As always, let me know your questions and suggestions!

-Del

gereon
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: July 26, 2015, 06:42:59 AM »

@gereon Thanks for the feedback. Yes, it's a mix of all those. It's been hard to define a genre since it borrows from many, but if you like a game that challenges you to think I think it will be up your alley.

Yes I like challenges, especially strategy challenges. This game is truly an interesting genre mix with great complexity. I would like to play this soon! I joined the Kickstarter and keep my fingers crossed...

Currently working on...
del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2015, 07:10:48 AM »

Hey Everybody!

Del here and a happy Monday! Today I'm going to share a bit more about another realm, the Root Democracy! My goal is to make each realm unique. Here's what makes fuzzy critters of the Earth Realm neat!

Lore

• Primary Animals: Mammals
  • Leadership: Council of the Democratic Representatives
  • Primary Ideals: Service(Volunteerism) and Skills

Skills

• Primary Beast Skills: Dark Vision - The animals of the Root Democracy don't fear the dark. When these beasts enter caverns they can see clear as day.
  • Primary Spell Focus: Summons - The Earth Realm spends time perfecting whatever their chosen craft is. That makes summoning allies more effective for this realm.
  • Primary Natural Element: Night - When the moon rises, so to do the animals of the Root Democracy!

Want to find out even more details on the Earth Realm? Check out the Hugebot! blog. It has breakdowns on the Shrew, Racoon, Fox, and a variety of Earth Spells. And this is only a portion of whats planned!

http://blog.hugebot.com/?tag=earth-realm

Download Four Realms Avatars
http://www.indiedb.com/games/four-realms/downloads/avatars3

Press
http://www.gamegrin.com/news/kickstarter-game-of-note-four-realms./

And don't forget to join me Tuesday at 7 PM CST for a live stream of Four Realms!

http://www.twitch.tv/hugebotgames

Thanks

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: July 29, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »

Hey Everybody!

And now for the second part of the environment systems of Four Realms. Read the last one if you missed out and want to know more about why I put so much work into the environment of Four Realms.

One interesting thing I've found while making this game, once you assign a number significance, that significance grows throughout the game. So, in Four Realms, four becomes the magic number. There are four soft environment systems; Wind, Rain, Night, and Day. Well, there are also four core environment systems.

These are the systems I'll be covering today. They highlight the game, but they also highlight the systems. These environment systems play a critical role in the core game loop of Four Realms. So pay attention and you'll be mastering the hardest difficulty in no time!

Platforming & Flight (Air)

OK, so this is an obvious system, but makes a lot of sense by the rule of four. It's a platforming game; climbing and jumping are going to be par for the course. And while there are many solutions to this problem, one nation rules the rest when it comes to platforming, the Strato-Sultanate. These avians can take flight and avoid the issue altogether, but at the cost of being weaker in combat.

Alternatively the next best nation to handle this is the Fire Realm. Their proficiency at structures lets them build new paths to any objective.

Water (Water)

Pools of water abound in the Four Realms. Any creature can dip their toes and buoyantly bound through the depths, but the Fluid Coalition is the best suited nation for the water. Any creature that can't swim will take continuous damage under water.

Don't have Water Gems to get out of there. Remember to use the Air spell from the Strato-Sultanate to give your beasts a breathable bubble.

Darkness (Earth)

Darkness, go underground an you visibility drops to nothing. You can overcome this with torches and fire. You could just deal with it. But if you want to over come the Darkness, call on the beasts of the Root Democracy. These clever mammals can see through the pitch black.

Invisible Objects (Fire)

I mentioned before the rule of four, when first developing this systems I didn't know which nation to which it would belong. But with the power of the other systems this seemed to fit more and more nicely into the Fire Realm. To note, this isn't the ability to turn invisible, but rather to see the invisible. Beasts of the Forged Parliament can see traps, ambushes, walls, passages, and those pesky Water beasts that defy the eye.

Are you lacking on beasts from the Fire Realm? Never fear, Third Eye is here. This handy spell helps you see those nasty invisible things.

Press

A tough but fair look from GayGamer.net:

http://gaygamer.net/2015/07/greenelight-four-realms/

Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: August 03, 2015, 05:59:47 AM »

Hey Everybody!

Today we're going to learn more about the reptiles of the Forged Parliament! What makes these fiery beasts so unique? Let's take a look.

Lore

• Primary Animals: Reptiles
  • Leadership: Parliament of Distinguished Lords
  • Primary Ideals: Science and Gumption

Skills

• Primary Beast Skills: See Invisible - The keen eyes of these reptiles can spot traps, ambushes, and invisible foes.
  • Primary Spell Focus: Structures - The animals of the Forged Parliament are the best engineers in the Four Realms. Their platforms and devices are unmatched.
  • Primary Natural Element: Day - The beasts of the Fire Realm are lit up by the rising sun!
Want to find out even more details on the Fire Realm? Check out the Hugebot! blog. It has breakdowns on the Armadillo Lizard, Gecko, Gila Monster, and a variety of Fire Spells. And this is only a portion of whats planned!

http://blog.hugebot.com/?tag=fire-realm

Thanks for reading!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 05:41:28 AM »

The Beginning

Every game starts with an idea. From that simple seed grows the tree of a fully flourished game. I thought it would be fun to take a look at how Four Realms has grown from a simple idea to the crazily systemic animal wizard game that it is now. This is the first part of that story; those early ideas, troubles, and the game before the game.

In the case of Four Realms, it's conception can be linked to one thought. “What if I could play the creatures I summon in Magic: the Gathering?” It's a simple thought. And one I think I'm not alone in having harboring. I'm sure many people like me have played Magic a lot and wanted to do more than simple number crunching. They've wanted to see the fearsome creatures they've played come to life, see them sneak, fly, or otherwise heckle their opponent.

But a single thought is not not all it takes to make a game. It is the seed. And the fertile soil it grows from is the imagination of the creator. I knew just that thought wasn't enough. In my head the fact that I wanted a non numbers based game meant leaving behind most of what Magic was. Instead I need to pull from some more current inspirations.

Other Inspirations

This first thing that was bumping in my head was LCD games. Particularly, Mr. Game & Watch, specifically, from Smash Bros. I was caught by the striking design of him and his levels, and how LCD games had gone the wayside but have a very novel and unique visual style

The second thing that had been rolling around in my head was Super Mario Bros. It's a classic in my mind and I had been reading some interesting articles on it. Just the viscerality of the jumping and the surreal world where you climbing giant plants that grow out of steel blocks seem like a formula, while reused many times, also ripe for a solid twist.

And there was one long last in my mind at this point. I have always been a long time fan of Looney Toons. The cartoon antics of Daffy and friends has always been a foundation for me. That slapstick world where anything can happen always seemed the perfect setting for a game. I know at that moment I had one character in particular in my mind to be the protagonist of my game. The Gremlin that haunts Bugs Bunny at the air field. This imp with a screw loose always seemed the perfect character to play.

And so taking that initial idea, playing what you summon in Magic, combined with a mash of several inspirations, and Project World 1-1 was born! You play an gremlin character getting his kicks an LCD world by heckling people with a set of spells that could be played.

Troubled Waters

Even thinking back now I do still have a little excitement for this game. I think the idea of pulling gags out of a hat to (playfully) torment people sounds fun. But the project was going to hit a few snags. Looking back there was a key element missing at this point. And that's the crazy thing about game dev. Lots of ideas are great, but you really have to work to find the right mix and make something awesome. In fact the project I had been working on before, though I finished, I probably shouldn't have. Learning when to drop a project is one of the most critical and hard to learn skills in game development. At this point I don't even know if I fully gotten it. You'll have to let me know if going with Four Realms was the right choice.

Anyway, not long into development I hit my first snag. The art. I've always been an OK artist, just lacking those 10,000 hours to really shine. But I think deciding to go with an LCD inspired look was a bad decision. Part of that style was that it seemed easy enough to emulate, it's monochromatic and very limited animation. But I struggled with the lack of depth. And getting those silhouettes to really shine seemed just out of reach.

Entering into the first month I hit snag number two, social games. This game was being developed right off the top of 2010, at this time social games were just hitting the mark. Farmville was just announcing it's success. And it seemed like a good idea to jump on the bandwagon. So, making World 1-1 a social game became part of the design. A great idea, right? Right?!

You get one new free spell a day, and you could trade spells with friends and – and – and what was the point of social games again? How do you make money off them? Oh wait, I suck at network code. Uh …

Onto problem number three. What's the goal? Sure you could get new spells and explore a vast metroidvania style world, but, why? I don't think I knew this was a problem at the time, it was obfuscated by the social games problem, but I knew something was missing. But it didn't matter. Sometime after the second month of development I had gotten a job with the lovely people at LightBox Interactive and began work on the wonderful Starhawk. And World 1-1 would be forgotten.

The End ... for Now

Wait a minute! Where's Four Realms in all this? I get the Magic: the Gathering part, but where's the animals? OK, you got me. This is the game before the game. The game that didn't make it, but the idea that stuck. Stay tuned for the second part of the story, when Four Realms really begins.

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2015, 06:01:01 AM »

Independence is Tricky

So we left off with World 1-1 hitting the circular file in 2010, mainly due to me finding work. Well flash forward two and half year, now I don't have work. Yes, game development is a ton of fun, but not a particularly lucrative career. But one perk to being laid off is you now have time to work on your own games, those pet projects that you always want to see the light of day.

The first game I worked on? No, no it wasn't Four Realms. It was a Worker Placement board game inspired by the American Wild West. It had some great ideas and mechanics, but was just too busy. Eventually, I canned it, but figuring out when to do that to a game is tough.

The New Inspiration

So along comes the holiday season of 2012-2013. I begin working on a game, focusing on something I would like, but that maybe my wife would like as well. It's a movie monster tower defense game. “Wait, it's not Four Realms still!” You say. Well, actually it is.

In this game you play a mad scientist who must defend himself against the angry villagers. I really wanted to take another old game I loved, King Arthur's World, mash it with movie monsters and the new modern genre of tower defense. The idea is to take something I love, like ant hill style games, like King Arthur's World, plus something my wife likes, say, tower defense games (*cough* Plants vs. Zombies *cough*). Then add a genre she likes, in this case movie monsters like the Frankenstein Monster or the Mummy.

During the day you go to the crypts beneath your castle and gather resources. Then come up and build defense towers with pits or other traps. Some of these towers would contain monsters. Perhaps a belfry would house vampires. And the monstrous creatures? You could control them.

Provenance

Not long into development I started adding various systems and creatures. I noticed quickly that I had a lot of fun just jumping between characters and placing my own torch to light the darkness. Which prompted me to think, “What if I could play the creatures I summon in Magic: the Gathering?” Sound familiar? See I told you we would get there.

This, this is when Four Realms was truly born. Yes, placing creatures and objects to overcome obstacles, it was fun and I knew I had something. So Project King Card was born, and would soon evolve into Four Realms!

But there was something more, something that was missing from World 1-1. In this new project it was the mad scientist. More specifically, it was King Arthur's World.

Magic: the Gathering and King Arthur's World. While these games aren't the only inspirations and sources for design guidelines. They were the primary two and would serve as a focal point for the game.

Making it Pretty & Wrapping it Up

Towards the end of this long holiday I knew I had something and wanted to flush out the genre before I went fully to work. I wasn't entirely happy with doing “another fantasy” game. I polled friends and family for genre choices and my wife suggested animals, like Redwall. I've always had a soft spot for those books, so I remade some characters as animals and it stuck.

And so Four Realms came to be what it is. Yes, there are a lot more design stories and changes along the way. But this could be an endless post if I did that!

Thanks for reading! If you want more let me know. Remember to support Four Realms on Kickstarter, tell your friends. And check out blog.hugebot.com for more information on Four Realms!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2015, 06:55:17 AM »

Hey Everybody!

Today we take a look at the Fluid Coalition and what makes these watery beasts so cool.

Lore

• Primary Animals: Fish and Amphibians
  • Leadership: Duly Elected County Envoys
  • Primary Ideals: Exploration and Individualism

Skills

• Primary Beast Skills: Swim - The water is the home of the Water nation and they dominate in the wet depths.
  • Primary Spell Focus: Enchantments - The Water Realm doesn't seek to build new, but rather improve on what already exists. Their enchantments take what's there and makes them better!
  • Primary Natural Element: Rain - More than any other nation, the Fluid Coalition gains from it's natural element. When it rains or when they get wet, water beasts get stronger!

Want to find out even more details on the Water Realm? Check out the Hugebot! blog. It has breakdowns on the Trout, Catfish, Frog, and a variety of Water Spells. And this is only a portion of whats planned!

http://blog.hugebot.com/?tag=water-realm

Thanks for reading!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 04:10:26 PM »

First the Bad News

Yes, it looks like Four Realms will not make its Kickstarter Goal. This is of course very sad for me. Let me assure you though, that this game will be finished. I'll have to go back to the drawing board on the project scope, plans, and budget and see what I can do to make this work. I may have to even look for other funding sources. But Four Realms will be finished!

Thank You!

There is an upside to this! I've met a ton of amazing, helpful, and creative people during this campaign.

First, a shout out to all of you, the wonderful backers ready to make this thing happen. If not for you this game would not be made.
Second, a big thanks to all the press who were brave enough to look and talk about Four Realms.
Third, a thanks to all those tester who took their precious time to try the game and left feedback.

Now the Good News!

Thanks you to you wonderful people I've gotten a ton of great feedback! Those who tried the game know it's a great game with a lot of potential. Now it's time to take those ideas and make this game really shine! And I'm already hard at work on it!

The biggest flood of feedback is on the HUD and UI. Here's a look at some of the progress I've made so far. Bigger text, less noise, more focused!

The big box is going to be a minimap!

The second request is better animation. Sure the creatures look neat, but they move like bricks. So I've been ramping them up! What do you think?

Of course there's been a lot more wonderful feedback than that. But I wanted to take immediate steps to address the biggest concerns.

Keep in Touch

So, where do we go from here? Well for right now just keep in touch. I'm hard at work formulating a plan, but my focus right now is on immediate improvements for the game.

If you want immediate updates on Four Realms follow me on Twitter or Facebook.

For business and in depth character posts follow the Hugebot! Blog.

Hey, don't want to follow all those things? That's OK, all major announcements will be posted to the TIG Devlog page, so you are already in the loop!

Thank you all so much for your support! Please ask any questions you may have. And I'll see you in the Four Realms!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 09:51:56 AM »

Hello!

I know it's been awhile since I've done a proper update. Part of that is losing momentum. But fear not, Four Realms is still in development and momentum is picking back up!

New Animations
A lot of time has been spent working on animations. It's a bit time consuming and a tad frustrating because forward momentum feels small. But when they come in, they definitely have a subtle yet strong effect on presentation. Right now I'm sitting at about 25% of the animation rework done.

HUD Improvements
I took this week to do some not animation related work. This time I focused on two things. Improved health bars and a minimap.

The health bars now no longer pop around and are shown in chunks. I love the chunks! Seriously, they really make it easier to see how much damage was done. I'll probably use them for all games in the future.

The minimap was a much requested feature from the first demo. It's taken some finagling, but I think I've got it working pretty well. It does an excellent job presenting the layout.

The Future
So when can you expect more awesome stuff for Four Realms? Right now I'm planning a major new demo release in about four months. Yes, I could do some smaller ones incrementally, but I feel it will work better if there is one release with all the new animations and that is my current estimate. This will give me a chance to really polish it up and knock your socks off. It's gonna look good!

After that I'm going to do some more regular updates as I work towards Beta and final release.

Thanks for reading! All questions and suggestions are welcome!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2015, 06:10:47 AM »

Animations
Work continues on the adjustments to animations. A slow process, but I'm about 50% of the way there! It's looking good and definitely makes the game pop a bit more. Here's some of the run animations.

I'm starting to get a better feel for the process, which is helping pick up the development time. The sparrowhawk I think my be my favorite character.

Destruction!

I took a break from animations this last week to spend some time on ... DESTRUCTION! Now when you hit structures they will pop particles. They'll also slowly show more sign of where and tear. Look at that box crack and fall apart!

And I added a little more "juice" to the damage numbers. Look how they fade in and out and pop at random velocities! Oooh! Ahhh! This is only a small sample of what now shows it's damage, everything from spikes to ladders now looks beat up as you hack away at them.

As always, thanks for reading! All questions and suggestions are welcome!

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2015, 07:09:55 AM »

Delayed!

Ugh, 'tis the season for everything! Life sometimes gets in the way of game dev. Yeah, I know rough. Apologies for the late news update, but don't worry! Four Realms is still in progress, let's check out whats new.

Animations

Yes, I've still been working on animations. I enjoy it and am getting slightly better at it, I just wish it was going towards new content. On the plus side I'm about 75% of the way through this monster task, almost there!

Wrappings

I've been busy wrapping up the game in a shiny new UI/HUD. Unfortunately the new demo won't be ready for the holidays, but it's looking good!

If you've been following you know I started some of the work on the new HUD design right after the Kickstarter. I've just taken it further and spread it throughout the game. Four Realms now sports a nice 1366x768 resolution so that took some adjustments. Fancy new buttons, larger text, better backgrounds, fade ins, etc. Look at the new Objective Fly In!

The new HUD tied with new animations is really making the game pop!

What's Next?

Hang in there! Next is the last batch of animations and a new tutorial. Then I'll have delivered all the major improvements as promised since the Kickstarter, I'll also put together a nice new demo package. How long? Maybe a month to a month and a half.

-Del

del
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2016, 01:07:11 PM »

The Final Batch

The last set of animation rework has been done! Finally! I finished up the last bits of animations which included a Iguana Knight, Simple Mole, Blue Bird Jester, Anglerfish Merc, and the two current Guardians. Four months of work! It's done! And it looks great! (Or at least better!)

The mole in particular got a lot of rework done. Gone is the spear, now there is a simple mole. I wanted emphasize his claws more, it seemed silly that he used a weapon.

And I'll let you check out the Guardians yourself in the demo, but they were a pain! So many animations for those main characters!

Tutorial

And the final big request from the Kickstarter is done! I reworked the tutorial immensely.

Many people complained it had too much text and noT enough doing your own thing. So I fixed it. I won't claim it's perfect. I split it into three sections and focused on the core skills and not all the details.

Then I had to re shoot all the in game instruction shots to match the new HUD. No small task indeed!

Like many developers I struggle with tutorials. So give it a try and let me know what you think!

New Demo!

This of course has been leading up to the new demo! Woooo! OK, so there's still a ton to do, namely audio, a skill I lack. So, yes, SFX and music need a lot of work.

But I can't sit on the game forever. Mainly I've been waiting on releasing a new demo because the game felt awkward in a halfway stage of new animations and new HUD, but now it feels pretty cohesive, so give it a try!

With the animations done and the tutorial reworked, I've addressed most of the main critiques of the original demo, so it's time to get more feedback!

http://www.indiedb.com/games/four-realms/downloads

Linux & Mac Users

Please try the new demo! Let me know how it runs! If I can ensure the game is stable between different systems then I can ensure a final version for Mac & Linux. So tell me it runs, post pics, or, better yet, post a video! Please! Letting me know it runs let's me know I can make it work.

What's Next?
There's still plenty to do for Four Realms. I was hoping to get into new content but there's a few things to do first. Here's a sneak peak at what's coming up on the developments schedule.

• Polish - I addressed the main concerns, but there are a few lingering things like effects and coloring.
  • Audio - I suck at audio, so this needs a good work over.
  • Procedural-esque Levels - I don't know if this will work, but more random levels will add to the longevity, so I'm going to give it a try!
  • Rewrite - I'm going to look at the writing and spruce it up a bit.
  • Marketing - After a rewrite and audio I'm going to work on new marketing text and a new trailer to help spread the word! Oh and maybe a new title and/or logo!

Greenlit!

In a strange twist, as I'm writing this I find out that Four Realms is Greenlit! Thank you everyone who voted!

-Del

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic