Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 07:48:56 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsPhase - New: Premade levels; thoughts on future graphics
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Author Topic: Phase - New: Premade levels; thoughts on future graphics  (Read 11007 times)
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« on: November 17, 2014, 01:28:46 PM »

Link to latest status:

https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=44573.new;topicseen#new

Link to latest (very alpha) version, for Chrome:

https://tjpalmer.github.io/zym/ (And press escape or enter to get into editor mode.)

It even has levels premade now!

Current plan: Use original graphics for now, as placeholder. Once done, get serious about art.

But also leave original art as an option. The display layer is entirely independent of gameplay.

Here's a look at an attempt at 3d modeling for such a future:

Also, it's getting a new name. More on that a different time.

Shot of level with some launchers:

See latest post for link to youtube video.

Codename BnB

In 1994 or 1995, I made graphics for a Lode Runner clone for Amigas, along with several plans for advanced features beyond standard LR. Kept in cold storage for two decades, I have one 320x200 graphic (made in the classic Personal Paint) with all the animation sequences needed as well as sample layout showing level and gameplay ideas. It also includes the appearance of blocks for the level editor.

I recently decided I should finish the old project, with at least one rule: DON'T CHANGE ANY OF THE GRAPHICS AT ALL.

So this is authentic pixel art from 20 years ago.

Here's a shot of the level editor:

And here is the same level in action:

What to call it?

20 years ago, I intended the name Gold Runner, but in the years between, a Flash-based LR clone has appeared on the web called Golden Runner, so I don't want to use a similar name. My other favorite name ideas also have some conflict with other things out there. BnB is short for something (not Bed and Breakfast), but since it has a conflict, I've just stuck to BnB for now.

Principles

In addition to using only my original graphics and a good level editor, I'm intent on zero scrolling. Also, each level needs to be describable as just a 2D grid. Nothing fancy. And I want enough constraints in the system to make the puzzle-solving aspect stand out, as in the original.

But I'm not set on keeping everything the same. In addition to enhanced features, I'm tempted to make changes such as allowing falling through the bottom to one's doom, instead of merely stopping at the bottom. And I might not attempt to mimic the exact behavior of enemies in the original. (And I have other dangers planned in enhanced features, too.) Things like that.

Progress to Date

I started in TypeScript, targeting web, but I didn't like the performance on mobile. So I've switched to Haxe and OpenFL.

I've tested the Haxe version on Linux, Windows, and Android.

To Do

The next goal is to get the enemies working.

Then I need to get overall app structure.

Then add the enhanced features. (Should I share my full screenshot of all the original graphics?)

Because I need a level editor, I probably also need a central server to share levels, rate them, and display high scores and such.

Big Question

Is using such old simple pixel art a doomed cause, or is this good enough by modern standards? Is the story of the uncoded project with authentic 20-year-old art compelling?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 08:32:28 AM by tjpalmer » Logged

QuadraTron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2014, 01:42:41 PM »

Looks like a fun project!  My only feedback would be to find a good color pallet to use for the original pixel art. How many colors was the Amiga capable of displaying?
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 01:52:27 PM »

This was on my Amiga 1200, which had the AGA chipset, and my memory is that it allowed up to 256 colors chosen out of full 24-bit. I was being colorful on purpose. Is this too colorful here? Or just jarring?

Again, I really don't want to change the graphics at all. But one alternative might be to allow different themes, where this is just one of the options.

darklight
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 03:19:33 PM »

In my opinion - it looks too bright & you've used primary / secondary colours only, like a kids toy.  I'd use a palette of less saturated colours, using perhaps shades of two or three colours only.  But if your rule is to not change the graphics, then it doesnt really matter does it! Smiley

Storm Clouds over the Western Front - forum & dev blog | Twitter: @DarklightXNA | YouTube: 2D Flight Sim
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 05:11:36 PM »

Thanks much for the feedback (and to QuadraTron, too). The kid's toy effect sort of had been my goal for some reason. Maybe had too much Circus Lemmings on my mind at the time. I'll ponder a color-theme option, at least. (My wife dislikes the red, especially.) I might also see about generating some kind of background instead of pure black. Not sure.

QuadraTron
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:41 PM »

Adobe's Kuler is a good tool to use if you need help picking out color palettes.  https://color.adobe.com/explore/most-popular/?time=all

I'd also do some reading on color theory.  Picking the right colors can make a huge difference in how your game looks and feels artistically.

Smiley
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2014, 06:59:03 PM »

Thanks for tips again.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:55 AM »

I've made some progress on enemy mechanics and behavior, but instead of posting that, I figure for now I'll just post my original, untouched source image. It gives a fuller idea of the extent of game features planned:

Yes, that's the same colorful, saturated palette already discussed. I probably will end up changing the default to something more palatable, but I'll need to keep the option to use the original, as again, that's the point.

Next update will likely have some examples of gameplay, presumably by animated gif and such. Not sure when I'll get to that. Hopefully within 2-3 weeks.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 10:36:21 AM »

The art style is a testimony of its time, so I think it's great that you're not touching it. May be a silly question but... how did you manage to store the art for this game for 20 years?

On a sidenote, I find that gamers are very often compelled by a "behind the scenes" story when it comes to game development. So this whole "I made the graphics 20 years ago" is pretty interesting and makes the project unique, at least to me. I'm following.

i make games that can only ever be played once on http://throwaway.fun
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 10:52:04 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I'm glad the story works for you. And I sure hope there are more like you, too, so thanks for encouragement!

I originally copied this graphic (and other old files) onto FAT formatted 3 1/2" floppies. Later, I copied them onto CDs, not sure if I'd ever get around to doing anything with them. I've occasionally had them stored on hard drive on various computers through the years. Sadly, I threw out my Amiga 1200 around the year 2000 or a maybe a few years later, I think. I regret that somewhat. I wish I'd at least given it away. There are some folks more die hard than myself.

I also have fairly full graphics for another game I planned from the era, one I actually did start coding at the time. It was a "flamethrower tag" game featuring a couple of high school friends of mine as the main characters. But overall, there's less game concept in that one, so I'm not sure I'll ever get back to it.

And on BnB here, I have to admit I might not include the full features I'd originally planned. From my current perspective on game design, I think some of the ideas might reduce game play quality. (More isn't always better.) But I think I can fit in most of the concepts.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2014, 05:02:25 AM »

Oh, and just for kicks, here are some of the flamethrower tag graphics (different game than BnB):

That's bread/toast that they are standing on. Just odd, inside jokes from long ago.

And here's the full set of pictures I made that I seem to have saved from my Amiga, though I had more things I could have saved. If I saved any more, I don't know where they are at the moment.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2014, 05:38:29 AM »

Stuff.

Cool stuff.

Now you're talking.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 05:36:12 AM »

A miniature example of gameplay (a bit choppy in my LICEcap capture):

Note the two different kinds of enemies and other subtle differences from standard Lode Runner. All part of the very old plans.

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2014, 06:51:12 AM »

In recent times, I've put the editor closer to final layout, added undo/redo, and supported multiple levels:

I also finalized on the name Brick Blazer and bought the domain name. I've got a dev blog there for now.

I still need to change default colors and other priorities include adding select-and-move as well as more game features. (Lots of bug fixes and other things to do, too.)

Oh yeah, and the font is from Google Fonts, and the monochrome icons are from Flaticon. I'll need to give proper attributions for whatever gets into any releases, of course.

qwurp
Level 0

"Oh you make games? Like an app?"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2014, 06:57:13 AM »

Might just be me, but I just had flashbacks to JETPACK. Which is a good flashback.

Best of luck on this.
tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2014, 07:05:00 AM »

Thanks for the feedback! I never knew Jetpack (missed it somehow, I guess, even if it seems my style), but it looks really cool.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2014, 07:13:40 AM »

Maybe it's because of the font, but the level selection menu feels wayyy more modern than the game itself. Are you going to try and keep everything consistent or you're going to give it a more modern touch?

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2014, 07:20:05 AM »

My current plan is to make the UI more modern. As in, the meta stuff is flat, white, and smooth, and the game/content is pixely and colorful (even if I end up toning down the colors a little). You saw in my old screens that I had some pixely UI planned long ago (since I was on 320x200 after all), but I'm afraid that pixely UI will actually add noise and detract from the pixely content.

You seem to have concerns the other way. I'll stick to my current plans for now, but if it stays not working for you, let me know. I at least should be aware of perspectives on the matter, and thanks much for the feedback on it.

alvarop
Level 9

ignorant

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2014, 07:22:10 AM »

It's not that I'm concerned or think that it sucks or anything. I'm just asking what direction you were taking this. I assumed you were going for 100% pixely stuff. The modern / retro vibes mixed could work 100% too, it all depends in its execution.

And for sure, I'll keep an eye on this as always and give you feedback whenever I think I have something of value to say (which isn't often Tongue).

tjpalmer
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2014, 07:28:43 AM »

Thanks much for continued feedback. I really appreciate it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic