Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411505 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 06:51:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogs(DEAD) D R A G O N S + Friends - co-op hacknslash proc-gen
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: (DEAD) D R A G O N S + Friends - co-op hacknslash proc-gen  (Read 4664 times)
Canned Turkey
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2014, 03:16:10 PM »

The bats need to collide with each other, otherwise after a while of running away they're gonna clump together.
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2014, 03:34:21 PM »

True. It isn't a Boids algorithm so they don't avoid each other... Tack it to the to-do list!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2014, 04:11:31 PM »

Got all the physics working with the Bow Goblin. These guys can get really annoying if you don't take them out quickly:

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2014, 10:00:17 PM »

BOMBS MOSTLY WORKING!!  Hand Any Key Hand Any Key Hand Any Key

And some rolly/sliding lance dust  Hand Joystick Hand Joystick Hand Joystick

these were both really cosmetic heavy so they were a lot of fun Smiley

for those wondering: I used Particle Designer 2.5 to make the explosion and the dust. If you use Gamemaker you really should check it out: http://gmc.yoyogames.com/?showtopic=290449

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 09:24:40 PM »

Haven't done a respectable bit of coding in a week since its finals week. My two 300-level Chem classes are done so I finally have a bit more time. Spent tonight messing around with the sword and shield animation/attack speed. Just needed some tweaking. Each of the weapon types are feeling better and better.

Thought I'd give a little update on music for the game. I thought this would be standard chiptune fare, but I'm feeling more and more the music will be dirty acoustic guitar-based with lots of driving floor tom. here's some inspiration (sorry for any swear words):

Wolf Parade - Modern World https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6tTgqxkocf8&ei=PxKRVKf9O9KyoQSE64GgAQ&usg=AFQjCNGJloUAPOdcsCznsVBCMrWQyF8ETQ&sig2=pZfLKaFlGTZ52tsYKohdBA&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cGU

Fleet Foxes - Heard Them Stirring https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DstnJAYG9JxQ&ei=6RKRVPu5H8HzoASuzoHABg&usg=AFQjCNHAIz-iwsv7kUIfjjPDFXOIVZfqCg&sig2=pZHDI8aoILXq1YkxtJeIVg&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cGU

Microphones - I Want Wind To Blow https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CCAQyCkwAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DoNfKOtlNuWE&ei=VxORVMHqIMzSoAS20oGwDA&usg=AFQjCNHhuMRdon3lgT9Mtr-vqiHuQpfFsQ&sig2=BXYiY43YVoehwLHcbkUzyA&bvm=bv.82001339,d.cGU

I'll have lots of updates over the holiday break! Happy Finals!!
-Austin

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2014, 01:45:22 PM »

FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS FEELS

EdFarage
Level 2

I can upload avatars

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2014, 03:07:26 PM »

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2014, 05:11:52 PM »

haha yes!

saluk
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2014, 05:16:20 PM »

Competooroperative gameplay is the best. Love the fluid and fast combat animations, looks fun!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2014, 01:30:18 PM »

Have I mentioned how much I stinkin love programming? Especially Python man, that's the bee's knees.

So If you look at a lot of the GIFs in this devlog, you'll notice one glaring problem: Dustin is too dark. He get's lost in the background. I'm not an artist so I still don't understand colors very well. This leads me to make like 150+ sprite images with a color that's too dark. So although I like the animations, the colors are off.

So I was looking around some GIMP/Gamemaker forums to see if there was a quick way to change ONE color in a bunch of GameMaker sprites and then import them back in. As far as I could find there wasn't any, so I thought 'HOLY MOLY I'M GOING TO HAVE TO RE-COLOR ALL THESE SPRITES! IT'S ONLY TWO COLORS!!!!'

Well I expanded my horizon to simply using Python to manipulate images. AND OF COURSE PYTHON CAME THROUGH FOR THE CAPITAL W WIN!

Props to Darren@Work for giving me most of the code. Apparently there's this thing called the Python Imaging Library and it's BOSS:

This:
Code:
# Austin's Pixel Art Toolkit (APAT)

# SWITCH OLD NORMAL PURPLE
OLD_PATH = r'C:\Users\Lenovo ThinkPad x201\Documents\GameMaker\Projects\Dragons+Friends.gmx\assets\Characters\purple.png'
NEW_PATH = r'C:\Users\Lenovo ThinkPad x201\Documents\GameMaker\Projects\Dragons+Friends.gmx\assets\Characters\purple_new.png'

# establish new/old colors
R_OLD, G_OLD, B_OLD = (40, 8, 24)   # old normal purple: 40, 8, 24
R_NEW, G_NEW, B_NEW = (74, 15, 45)  # new normal purple: 74, 15, 45

R_OLD1, G_OLD1, B_OLD1 = (26, 5, 16)   # old dark purple: 26, 5, 16
R_NEW1, G_NEW1, B_NEW1 = (45, 9, 30)   # new dark purple: 45, 9, 30

from PIL import Image               # From the Python Imaging Library, import the main module 'Image'
im = Image.open(OLD_PATH)           # open the image we want to change and store it in 'im' variable
pixels = im.load()                  # x.load() is an Image Class method that returns image properties

width, height = im.size             # get the pixel width and height
print width                         # DEBUG, so we know how big this thing is
print height

# Cycle through the image pixel by pixel and look for the color we want to change
for x in range(width):                                      # for each x
    for y in range(height):                                 # for each y
        r, g, b, a = pixels[x, y]                           # recieve the rgb color of the current pixel at (x,y)
        if (r, g, b) == (R_OLD, G_OLD, B_OLD):              # IF the current pixel is the (1st) color we want to change...
            pixels[x, y] = (R_NEW, G_NEW, B_NEW, a)         # -> change it.
        elif (r, g, b) == (R_OLD1, G_OLD1, B_OLD1):      # ELSE IF the current pixel is the (2nd) color we want to change...
            pixels[x, y] = (R_NEW1, G_NEW1, B_NEW1, a)      # -> change it.

im.save(NEW_PATH)                   # Save the changed image

gave me an easy way to do this:

pRoGrAmMiNg Is StIlL cOoL KIDS

It will still take some time to convert all his sprites but holy cow it won't take nearly as much time  Gomez

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2014, 09:42:22 AM »

FIREWORKS

don't love the explosion yet but at least it works Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 25, 2014, 11:52:54 AM »

Throwing Knives for Christmas!!

I was thinking about making this is the secondary attack for the knife. But it's almost too good haha. You can dispatch people from attacking you then take them out. It's cool, but the knife is meant to be very low tier. So not sure yet what to do...

Boreal
Level 6

Reinventing the wheel

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 25, 2014, 12:06:38 PM »

Do it like Dark Messiah and make throwing knifes to the back deal critical damage (in that game they instakill but that may not be right for you).

"In software, the only numbers of significance are 0, 1, and N." - Josh Barczak

magma - Reconstructed Mantle API
NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2014, 03:26:38 PM »

That's a really cool idea I'll check it out. I definitely want player's to have options with how they approach each enemy encounter Smiley

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2014, 11:37:38 AM »

PUNCHING / NO WEAPON

I think I've decided that the game will be immediately competitive if each player starts out with NO WEAPON. Originally I thought at the beginning of the game each player would open a free chest and a random weapon would be given, but I think it makes things competitive from the get go when no one has a weapon. Punching is fast, but it only does 1 damage and has no Armor Break, so it's beneficial to find a weapon as quickly as possible!

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 30, 2014, 10:14:37 AM »

Ladders + Special Item Chests!

Starting to feel more and more like a real game  Hand Any Key Hand Any Key

NinthPower
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 01, 2015, 11:04:25 AM »

hACKEY gOBLIN

As you can see, I'm messing with physicz  Gomez