Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411522 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:34:04 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallThe Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 601
Print
Author Topic: The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread  (Read 1953055 times)
havchr
Level 2

gaming, coding, experimenting photo science party

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2600 on: August 03, 2009, 02:32:04 PM »

You gotta teach me tennis!
I've tried a couple of times, but I'm lousy at being skilled enough for meaningful play.

Welcome to the forums!
Hi five for C++/C#

Pizza is delicious.
jkd003
« Reply #2601 on: August 03, 2009, 04:38:57 PM »

This is going to be weird...
JKD is what I go by. It predates to when I was eight and got on the high score board for galaga at my local barber shop. When the game requested my initials I believe it was then and there that I truly fell in love with video games. But my love was never a pure one, I played video games because the life I lived was one I hated, one where every day I had to wake up and deal with problems I was powerless to change because my life was ultimately owned by others. With books and movies I could escape to another world, but that was never what I wanted. I wanted control, the idea I was in command and that when bad things happened, I could take responsability for them, and do it all over again right. Like a lot of people I liked video games for the feelings they gave me and that was enough. I was a big sonic fan among other things. The games I was into, nothing surprising.  Overtime I became more interested in the odd and experimental games but it was a fleeting feeling that would go away as another problem in my life arose again.

It was not until I became a adult, my parents were forced to give me freedom and I moved out that I had a life changing revelation. I was living with a girlfriend and her mother, going to community college in the area that it happened. I was in total control of my life, actually happy with what I was doing and how I was spending my time. It was during this time, where I was totally satisfied with my life, happier than I had ever been, full of love, comfort and freedom that I started to find the video games I used to love as boring. Too easy, too simple, overall mediocre. I loved video games, I used to even want to be involved in the industry making them, and yet here I was finding myself loosing interest and getting bored. I was looking for something new, something different, something exciting. I found GOD HAND

Never in my life has a metaphorical kick in the balls felt so good. I enjoyed the hell out of the game and I could write pages on the many reasons why. Playing the game felt like being awake for the very first time. I had never in my life enjoyed a video game so much just for being a video game.  Since then I have played many a great game such as STALKER, OPERATION FLASHPOINT, Spelunky and more treasure games than I care to list. To say I like my games hard, fair and intense is a understatement.
I have dabbled in game design since the 8th grade, and while my philosophy on what I want in my games has changed drastically(from writing about games with epic stories and simple but catchy gameplay to now going into feverent detail about complex game mechanics that involve dynamic bosses and flexible but challenging gameplay)
I have yet to progress further than large word documents with writings of what I would do.
This changes today. I'm setting a far off goal, to complete my latest dream game with game maker some time in the future.  Until then I'm going to learn to program and do everything I can step by step to meet my goal.
I'll end this with a picture of myself, twisted grin and all. If things go as well as I hope I'll be making this face a lot.
Guzusuru
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2602 on: August 03, 2009, 05:01:59 PM »

Hey everybody, I'm an artist currently working on this over here.

I don't know much about making games, but I've had fun with this so far at least. Nice to meet you all!
Contrary
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #2603 on: August 03, 2009, 05:55:11 PM »

Um um. Hello.

I am a console gamer who's dabbling a bit in indie games. I love Cortex Command, Spelunky, and Battle for Wesnoth. I've been playing Bonesaw but I don't really like it. Cave Story is cool, but I'm stuck D:<.

I've done a bit of spriting for CC and I want to see if I can get better at it.

Edit: I'm from Vancouver, Canada an my all-time favourite games are Suikoden, Soul Calibur 4, Elite Beat Agents, The World Ends With You, and probably some others. Throw in Jumping Flash 2 or something.

Also, I'm kind of dick, so look out for that.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2009, 06:03:05 PM by Contrary » Logged
Jimp
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2604 on: August 04, 2009, 02:50:32 AM »

Hey there. My name is Jimp, Im a Flash game artist. This looks like just the place ive been looking for Smiley

My most successful release so far has been Penguinz (http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/489777), a collaboration with LongAnimals.

Im currently working on a couple of projects, both of which im pretty excited about. The biggest is Redneck Downhill Challenge, in which you build a cart out of various parts then race it down a hill (some art: http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/8378/redneck.jpg).

Anyway, good to find a cool new place, hope us Flash game makers are welcome here Smiley
andygeers
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2605 on: August 04, 2009, 05:36:53 AM »

This introduction is a little overdue from me - apologies for that!

I'm Andy, I live in London and currently work for a VFX company working on lots of awesome movies, but as of next month I'll be moving to a part time web developer role for a small charity to free up more time to work on my game development project.

I'm the guy behind the Bible-teaching computer games thread, and you can see a tiny screenshot of what I've been working on recently here. I'm using the Unity games engine for cross-platform awesomeness!

My favourite games are any of the old LucasArts games like Day of the Tentacle or Monkey Island, and though I don't play so many games recently, I played and absolutely loved a few of the recent big indie games like Braid and World of Goo.

Dr Lecter
Level 0

Tally ho by jove

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2606 on: August 04, 2009, 11:04:10 AM »

*Returns high five* My Word!
Vlad Shadeu
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2607 on: August 05, 2009, 05:14:14 AM »

I go by Vlad Shadeu (The last bit is pronounced "Shadow") and i'm an active member over at Charas forums. I decided i needed to go forum shopping so i decided i'd give this place a trial run. I do some stuff on Game Maker, but my only project suffers from lack of a team and i suffer from a lack of skills. But yeah, nice meeting you all.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2608 on: August 05, 2009, 05:31:36 PM »

Hi everyone, I'm Quicksand-T, of the two person Quicksand Games dev team. I share the concept, art, and story duties (can't program worth a damn).

My "manifesto", or inspiration, in game design comes from watching my brother play games when I was too young to play myself. Watching him play classics like Commander Keen 4, Duke Nukem 1 & 2, Cosmo, Jill of the Jungle, Amazing Spiderman, etc was like watching a cartoon to me, and it made me think of a game as a story being told (rather than a challenge to be overcome). For example, take this background object from Commander Keen 4:

When I saw that as a kid it fired up my imagination. This simple prop hints at a story; the story of a proud race of sentient slugs, worshipping their king as a God, forced underground by forces outside their control.

This idea of "implied storytelling" in games has resonated with me over time. As a result, I like games like Half Life 2 that use the game medium to tell the story rather than stopping the game for cut-scenes. I see games primarily as a vehicle for storytelling (or just screwing around), rather than for challenge or competition.

Quicksand Games is currently working on "We Want You", a procedural 2D war game with a hint of satire. Hopefully we will be releasing the first public version for feedback in the next couple of weeks. Hooray.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 05:35:13 PM by Quicksand-T » Logged

The Ivy
Level 1

Offices in Miragia

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2609 on: August 05, 2009, 05:59:25 PM »

When I saw that as a kid it fired up my imagination. This simple prop hints at a story; the story of a proud race of sentient slugs, worshipping their king as a God, forced underground by forces outside their control.

You know, it just hit me that that game scrolled from right-to-left instead of left-to-right. Isn't that weird? Or was it just that level? I still have an unholy love of Commander Keen, though. My favourite part of that game was...well...see avatar.
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2610 on: August 05, 2009, 06:09:28 PM »

You know, it just hit me that that game scrolled from right-to-left instead of left-to-right. Isn't that weird? Or was it just that level? I still have an unholy love of Commander Keen, though. My favourite part of that game was...well...see avatar.

Wow, I completely forgot about that part of the game until now.

I think other levels scrolled normally, but yeah that is strange.

Daniel Seabra
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2611 on: August 05, 2009, 06:18:18 PM »

Hi there!

I'm Daniel Seabra (de Andrade). I have two last names, because my father is Brazilian (even though I myself am Argentine) and so I get to be extremely cool. Ok, maybe not really, but hey, at least I don't have a middle name! How I got into gaming?

Well, first I remember going to my friend's house over in Rio Cuarto, Cordoba, Argentina, and playing on his (Sega Genesis?) Sonic the Hedgehog (1). It was great, I remember we spent half the time playing that game, and half the time singing the boss music. This was when I was 4-5 years old.

Eventually I got my own Sega machine, which came with 100 games (!). I played the original Mario and Contra nonstop, I was completely addicted.

Then I started leaning away from games. Sure, I got a PlayStation 1, played Twisted Metal 4:

But I didn't really play that much. Then I came here to the US. I got a GameCube, played a little bit, some Paper Mario:

But not that much...

Then I got addicted to Runescape. Something I'd rather not talk much about.

After that stupid mistake, I got a really good game, Metroid Prime. Man, I love that game:

After that, I started making games, my friend told me about Game Maker, I got into it...and well, here I am, I guess. Now I'm making my game, Scratch, and playing Cave Story.

Here's a screeny of my game:

Feel free to send me a message, e-mail. Whatever.

I'm just some bloke. Going to go to Pasadena, CA, for four years so if you're over there gimme a shout-out. Will be cool to get to know some people.
BrixxieBee
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #2612 on: August 06, 2009, 12:55:37 AM »

You guys are interesting. Welcome.
poorwill
« Reply #2613 on: August 06, 2009, 01:15:37 AM »

Hi everyone, I'm Quicksand-T, of the two person Quicksand Games dev team. I share the concept, art, and story duties (can't program worth a damn).

My "manifesto", or inspiration, in game design comes from watching my brother play games when I was too young to play myself. Watching him play classics like Commander Keen 4, Duke Nukem 1 & 2, Cosmo, Jill of the Jungle, Amazing Spiderman, etc was like watching a cartoon to me, and it made me think of a game as a story being told (rather than a challenge to be overcome). For example, take this background object from Commander Keen 4:

This idea of "implied storytelling" in games has resonated with me over time. As a result, I like games like Half Life 2 that use the game medium to tell the story rather than stopping the game for cut-scenes. I see games primarily as a vehicle for storytelling (or just screwing around), rather than for challenge or competition.

Glory to the Slug King!  Please accept these offerings of soda and candy.  May your slime trail never dry up.
Dr.Zeuss
TIGBaby

View Profile
« Reply #2614 on: August 06, 2009, 05:52:41 PM »

Hello there, my name is Paul. I'm a music composer who hopes to make music for video games (my other addiction) and movies. I also want to start learning how to make games for myself for more fun. Nice to meet ya.
antony
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2615 on: August 07, 2009, 03:02:32 PM »

Hi, my name is Antony and I always loved playing games and always wanted to develop them. I'm still learning the stuff but already trying to make something with cool gameplay.  Ninja
Tycho Brahe
Level 10

λx.x

View Profile
« Reply #2616 on: August 08, 2009, 03:19:52 AM »

Hey, I'm Adam, I'm interested in programming and am trying to learn more at the moment. I'm just getting into programming and may have jumped in at the deep end with c++ (I have got some actionscript experience though, so maybe, shallow, got out, and then jumped in to extend a metaphor). I don't have any games to my name yet but I hope to have one one day!
Quicksand-S
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2617 on: August 08, 2009, 11:57:12 AM »

Hi everyone. I'm Quicksand-S, the second man on the Quicksand Games development team. I'm the one that actually builds/codes the games. I strive for perfection in almost everything I do...which is why I've never actually released anything. One of Quicksand-T's jobs is to push me into releasing things so that people can actually try them. Big Laff

I usually try to come up with new gameplay ideas, or to take old ones and improve on them. I play a lot of games, both indie and mainstream, and I try to learn as much as I can from every one. To me, that's the best part of gaming: dreaming of how a game COULD be and then trying to do something with that dream.

When I make a game, I try hard to achieve two main things:

• It should be fun
  • It should have atmosphere

With Quicksand Games, we're also trying for a couple of other things. We're trying to make games fairly quickly, and to build them around simple concepts that can be used in complex ways. We really want our games to suck you in, hence the "Quicksand" thing...or maybe we came up with the name first. I don't remember. Anyway, my hope is that with Quicksand Games I can finally release some of my games from the past in addition to creating new ones.

My Old Game: We Want YOU - Join the Fight for Freedom

Twitter - Mostly comments on games, old and new.
PlayMeTape
« Reply #2618 on: August 08, 2009, 03:55:34 PM »

Hi TIGSource. I'm currently working on some stuff that I hope I'll be able to unveil in not too long so I thought now would be a pretty good time to introduce myself.

So here goes.

Here are some things that might be good to know about me, or not:
I'm not the most interesting person you'll ever meet.
I don't consider myself very talented but I've been told that an original idea goes a long way.
Cave Story got me into indie games (SHOCKER!).
I was once on the cover of one of Swedens biggest newpaper (their "In the city" part), I was wearing all black.
I live at home and have my own espresso machine in my room.
I'm allergic to grass.
I've gotten accepted to a game design education starting this fall.
I just got my drivers license.
I've got a big green space invader painted over my bed.
I grew up with a genesis Sad.
I used to play Game Boy on the toilet. I'm thinking of picking that up again.

There's probably more to know but I'm tired and can't think of any now. If you're interested then just ask Smiley.

Here's a picture of me for viewing pleasure:

Here's a pixelated version of me:

Imagineergames
Level 1

Sweet Slithering Bogaboo of Serpentine Proportions

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2619 on: August 08, 2009, 07:23:31 PM »

Hee-Hoo! Introduction time has reckoned.

Good day Gents, I'm Heriberto Valle. Leader of Imagineer Games, an Independent collective that strives to make games that will force your pants to fall off your legs(Woe to those that skirts do wear) and your dollars to flee your wallet in rapture inducing abandon.

I'm pretty much in love with Independent games in general. and I love how the genre is growing, becoming less obscure and more notorious.

But I have a DARK SECRET. I have NOT PLAYED Cave story!!!! *sigh* I had to get that off my chest. Seriously, I haven't even booted it up ever.

I've been fiddling with making games since 6th grade, with a copy of Click and play.

I do many things apart from Leading Imagineer Games. I'm an artist, character designer, interface designer, writer, and anything else that's needed (But I'm not the only one, so credit definitely doesn't go to me)

Right now. I'm leading two games. One for Pc and one for iPhone. they are:

"Shades of Violet: Song of the Clockwork Princess" is an episodic adventure game with steampunk overtones, set in a fantasy world. You guide the plucky Orphan: Violet Vendetta and her trusty Sister: Welma Watson as they grow, learn, and get involved in a plot to create a world without end.

"Kingdom" is an episodic series of Adventure games / Visual novels for the iPhone platform. the first one coming in November this very year. It follows the adventures of Private eye Vesper "V.V" in an alternate timeline of the 1920's in which the USA is a Kingdom called the Monarchy of the Northern Americas. The game has you uncover and fight an evil Anarchist plot to topple the king and create a democratic system for the people, by the people.

That is me (and us) in a nutshell. Or more of an acorn, we like the taste.

Imagineers of Flights of Fancy!<br /><br />Shades of Violet - Song of the Clockwork Princess
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 [131] 132 133 ... 601
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic