Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: graysonsolis

April 29, 2024, 09:04:37 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsPlayerGeneralWhat are you reading?
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 95
Print
Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 211272 times)
dota_mtdew
« Reply #1380 on: August 15, 2012, 03:04:30 PM »

a bunch of dumb shit as usual

when you're a world famous author (lol) and they find your fetishes on your internet history (i bet it's something really funny) i hope the smithy of 2052 posts his awful iconoclast opinion about it on the internet
MeshGearFox
Level 9

When you have no one, no one can hurt you.

View Profile
« Reply #1381 on: August 15, 2012, 04:00:31 PM »

So far this year I've read:

Dune
Babel-17 - Samuel R. Delaney
Journey - Marta Randall

and now I am reading Gravity's Rainbow.

Gravity's Rainboom.

Gravity's Rain...boob?

Faust06
Level 5

terminally laid-back

View Profile
« Reply #1382 on: August 15, 2012, 09:19:27 PM »

and now I am reading Gravity's Rainbow.

I haven't finished it yet, but comes strongly recommended to me. I was enjoying it enough, though I find the read more difficult to follow than most books.

Possibly my favourite book. I wish I could have the pleasure of reading it again for the first time.

You're not the only one having expressed that to me. I'll definitely have to read it.
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1383 on: August 16, 2012, 11:23:48 AM »

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose.

I heard praise for it, and was interested because it seems to have weird thematic similarities to a story I'm working on.
Panurge
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1384 on: August 16, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »

Umberto Eco - The Name of the Rose.

I heard praise for it, and was interested because it seems to have weird thematic similarities to a story I'm working on.

The notion of a game having thematic similarities with 'The Name of the Rose' intrigued me enough that I took a look at 'Panacea'. Beautiful, beautiful idea - get it finished!

Smithy
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #1385 on: August 16, 2012, 10:12:04 PM »

You're not enjoying Ulysses, you liar.

"Your opinions are not mine. Therefore, you are wrong."

Was joking around.  Undecided That's alright, though. Didn't realize I inspired so much anger around here..

Reading ham on rye, by charles bukowski...

C.D Buckmaster
Level 7

Death via video games

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: August 16, 2012, 11:09:32 PM »

I loved Ham on Rye, I found it so compelling that I read almost all of it in a single afternoon
sublinimal
Level 8

View Profile
« Reply #1387 on: August 17, 2012, 06:53:15 AM »

The notion of a game having thematic similarities with 'The Name of the Rose' intrigued me enough that I took a look at 'Panacea'. Beautiful, beautiful idea - get it finished!

It was quite a leap of faith for you to assume that I meant Panacea, but in this case, you happened to be right. Tongue Development's been pretty occasional because of real life, but I'm as excited about getting it done as you guys are.
sexybeastfareast
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #1388 on: August 19, 2012, 12:08:23 AM »

I loved Ham on Rye, I found it so compelling that I read almost all of it in a single afternoon

coincidentally im going through a bukowski phase at the moment. finished reading hollywood and onto women.

tossing up between ham on rye and post office next.   
Uykered
« Reply #1389 on: August 19, 2012, 12:46:36 AM »

I don't normally read novels, but I bought all the Song of Ice and Fire books. Almost finished A Game of Thrones but it feels a bit tedious since I've already seen the TV show, not sure if I'll go on or not.
Chris Pavia
« Reply #1390 on: August 22, 2012, 10:29:55 AM »

Just started Transmetropolitan. I want to like it, but I feel like Ellis is constantly beating me over the head with "Wow, look how EXTREME the future is! Look how much of a BAD ASS my main character is! Look how many times I can write fuck and shit!" There is very little subtlety anywhere. I'll give it a chance though and keep pushing through.
charlestheoaf
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1391 on: August 23, 2012, 12:29:32 PM »

Just finished *Star Diaries* by Stanislaw Lem, and absolutely brilliant collection of short stories. I start his *Return From the Stars* next.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:33:17 PM by charlestheoaf » Logged

Animal Phase (twitter) | Local TIGSource: Crevice Climbers | Past: Puny Human
brettchalupa
« Reply #1392 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »

I recnetly got one of them Nooks (oh wow I just realized that is Book spelt with an N), so I have been reading a lot more lately.

In particular, I have been reading The Hobbit. It's really good so far. I love the diverse amount of characters.
paste
Level 6

BARF!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1393 on: August 23, 2012, 07:28:42 PM »

I don't normally read novels, but I bought all the Song of Ice and Fire books. Almost finished A Game of Thrones but it feels a bit tedious since I've already seen the TV show, not sure if I'll go on or not.

I'm doing the same thing. Also don't know if I'll stick with it, but I'm a sucker for lore, which the books have, so signs point to probably. Mostly just want to be well-prepared for the third book.

WelcomeToAwesomeness
« Reply #1394 on: August 24, 2012, 03:08:40 AM »

please do, you'll appreciate it in the long run and it will also deepen your understanding of the tv show
Houndninja
« Reply #1395 on: August 24, 2012, 03:20:31 AM »

I've been reading the Halo: Fall of reach, the flood, and first strike books based on the games. Fall of Reach is really good you can't go past it! Also been reading the Ender series..
forwardresent
« Reply #1396 on: August 30, 2012, 11:21:46 AM »

Some Harlan Ellison collection called Approaching Oblivion, and a book of quotes and anecdotes called Bugfuck.

Both very good.
ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1397 on: August 30, 2012, 04:55:30 PM »

Just finished "A Game of Thrones."

Tumetsu
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1398 on: September 03, 2012, 11:54:15 AM »

Just finished "Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency" by Douglas Adams. Man all those details really were interconnected  Shocked
Perhaps I finished the book a bit too tired but it escaped me how exactly the Coleridge's poem influenced Michael. It enabled the ghost to posses him? I'll have to check that later out.

Inanimate
Level 10

☆HERO OF JUSTICE!☆

View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: September 03, 2012, 02:06:35 PM »

Perhaps I finished the book a bit too tired but it escaped me how exactly the Coleridge's poem influenced Michael. It enabled the ghost to posses him? I'll have to check that later out.

It put him in the state of mind most conductive to possession.

Dirk Gently is one of my favorite books of all time. It's an absolute masterpiece. The second book and the TV series are excellent, too -- even if not quite as excellent -- and I highly recommend them.
Pages: 1 ... 68 69 [70] 71 72 ... 95
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic