Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411518 Posts in 69380 Topics- by 58436 Members - Latest Member: GlitchyPSI

May 01, 2024, 01:48:03 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsUdon Dreams ~ non-combat immersive sim on a lunar resort
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: Udon Dreams ~ non-combat immersive sim on a lunar resort  (Read 22166 times)
pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 06:22:02 PM »

Finally got back to doing some more work on the pressurization stuff. As we mentioned earlier, the space ship resort will have a pressurized environment that can be de-pressurized if a seal to space is broken. So if you break a space window, open an airlock or blow a hole in the ship... things will get crazy.

When the system detects that a seal was broken, it looks in a predetermined radius for nearby physics enabled objects to blast out. Once a collection of objects are found, it then calculates a path for them to travel on. Objects can be blasted around curves, ramps and any objects in their path. It uses simple pathing AI to determine routes. Also, an object's path can be re-calculated on the fly to launch towards another sudden seal break. The above videos show some objects changing their course once multiple seals have been broken.

Pretty happy with it so far. It behaves semi-realistically which will probably be good enough for the game. The white lines you see are the connection points between the spheres that lets you know they have found each other and are listening for pressurization changes. Green is pressurized and red is not.

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »

hi again. i said yesterday that I would share what the squish animations look like when the inventory menu is brought up. note this is not yet complete. objects need to have their pivot points adjusted so they all center at the reticle.

this inventory wheel is much more fun to play with then our previous 2d inventory menu. also it's much easier to maintain since icon images for each object are no longer required.

Armageddon
Level 6

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 03:53:26 AM »

How are you doing the Deus Ex box selection hover in the last gif? That's really cool. The inventory is super cute too.

I'm curious, how much of the gameplay is based on being able to make the entire level zero gravity at any time? Do you have to have a suit to survive? If you fly outside wouldn't the lack of the other parts on the ship from other levels be distracting? Or does the whole game take place in one single level/Unity scene? It looks like a lot of effort to implement.

barley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 04:00:20 AM »

I really like the look of how this is shaping up. The air venting system seems awesome!

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 11:52:07 AM »

How are you doing the Deus Ex box selection hover in the last gif? That's really cool. The inventory is super cute too.

I'm curious, how much of the gameplay is based on being able to make the entire level zero gravity at any time? Do you have to have a suit to survive? If you fly outside wouldn't the lack of the other parts on the ship from other levels be distracting? Or does the whole game take place in one single level/Unity scene? It looks like a lot of effort to implement.

Hi! Yeah we switched to doing the dues ex box selection thing using cube meshes for now. We need to eventually create an actual mesh for the highlighting. It used to render only on the gui but we like the 3d-in-the-world look better.

We're thinking that the zero-gravity won't have a very large role in the game but we wanted to add in the extra detail. Yeah the player will be able to wear a suit to survive but if they don't have one yet bots from the ship will rescue you and bring you to the med bay. Just like in broken age in the sky town. The whole game will feel like one large level since we'll stream levels in and out. It's been real tricky designing a level system to support level streaming/object persistence. I'll write more on that later. Smiley The player could definitely make a mess in the game by breaking windows/doors into space but we're going to keep those to a minimum and balance the game play.

autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2015, 11:57:37 AM »

Just some little interactive things with a noodle carton

Looks like you just planned out my Friday night for me.

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2015, 08:35:58 PM »

Just some little interactive things with a noodle carton

Looks like you just planned out my Friday night for me.

same

bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2015, 01:33:47 AM »

made a door and a torch and a hallway

still to come: welcome mats, room number plaques, light fixtures, sign explaining the apparent fire hazard, and probably something I'm not thinking of right now

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 15, 2015, 03:04:06 PM »

Thought I'd share the current state of the new inventory selection wheel. The items now center at the reticle and I improved the animation of the little squish on the items when they appear. The objects kind of have a gooey look to them when popping up. Smiley I eventually need to add some sfx like when moving the wheel and toggling the inventory. Still a few bugs to work out but it's near being complete for this phase.

mushbuh
Level 9

Epic Laughs await you, traveler *tips steampunkhat

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: February 15, 2015, 03:15:24 PM »

the inventory menu is really good, if you want to add more to it, when you select an item make each one have its own background, so like when you picked the fire hydrant there would be a scrolling tiled pattern of fire hydrant models moving slowly in the background

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2015, 06:14:47 PM »

Got some more work done on one of the hotel room hallways.

{}{ {}{ {}{ {}{ {}{ {}{ {}{ {}{ {}{

joseph ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »

Hey guys~ this is looking super great. In love with the menu system w the lil squash and stretch animations.

Power-Fusion
Level 0

Local Nudist

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2015, 07:52:17 PM »

Now I can bother you in multiple ways. Much better then the blog.
bsp
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 15, 2015, 09:23:03 PM »

Hey Joseph Smiley thanks. it has basically become a new thing since you last saw it (besides sticking with and expanding the art style).

yeah fusion, standalone blogs feel lonely and awful. like it here a lot more

Power-Fusion
Level 0

Local Nudist

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 15, 2015, 09:52:46 PM »

Approval given.
RujiK
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2015, 09:13:48 AM »

De-pressurization?! Awesome!! Will the player get sucked out too? Also whats with the floating fish? NPC's still a long way off?

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #56 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54:31 AM »

De-pressurization?! Awesome!! Will the player get sucked out too? Also whats with the floating fish? NPC's still a long way off?

Heck ye de-pressurization. Only the best. B) Yeah, the player will definitely get sucked out to. Better have a space suit on or the med bots will come rescue you and put you in the med bay.

Also the floating fish are a bug lol. I changed our animation system and the fish went wack. The NPC's are still a ways off because I haven't started to design the system yet but there is a minimal speech system in place.

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #57 on: February 19, 2015, 01:36:49 PM »

for mike

now you can smash those cams off the wall.

pinkduh
Level 0

ya blew it

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: February 19, 2015, 04:53:31 PM »

hello friends. i've been working on more details of object grabbing. now when picking up an item, it pulls towards you to convey the feel of putting it into your backpack. also when bringing an item out it pushes away from you to seem as if you just pulled it out from behind you.

Pandara_RA!
Level 6

Maximum Friendship All Day

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 19, 2015, 09:50:10 PM »

for mike

now you can smash those cams off the wall.

FUCK OFF NSA

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic