Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411491 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 29, 2024, 06:42:10 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsComputer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Author Topic: Computer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!  (Read 57288 times)
GarBenjamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 06, 2016, 12:39:57 PM »

Looking great! Glad you are sticking with it til completion. Be cool to see a video. Screenshots are nice and all but at this point I think people would get a much better feel for the game from a video. Just a suggestion! Smiley

Play Play Atlantic Crisis [BETA] in your browser!
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 06, 2016, 12:51:24 PM »

Sure, will think about that. The problem is that there's little to show right now, only main menu and one level. Probably will do one after the predemo #2 will be ready.

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 06, 2016, 03:00:46 PM »

Yeah, don't tell me about it. I'm barely containing fits of rage as it is. Please keep this topic about the game, okay?

As a reminder, you can download predemo #1 in this post: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45904.msg1252969#msg1252969

Then I'd appreciate if you fill out this short survey after playing to help me improve it: http://goo.gl/forms/DkIbYqhgePO66i2o2

See? I'm actually listening to my (potential, since you can't buy the game yet) customers, unlike forum design team of a certain game engine that shan't be named.

As for game news, I'm working on implementing destruction gun powerup right now, but first want to create actual bullet shooting logic.

Be a computer virus!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 07, 2016, 08:30:28 PM »

Hi fellow unity residents!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2016, 04:11:13 AM »

Hello! Smiley

How do you like my game? Have you played the predemo #1? If so please fill this short survey!

I've created basics of bullet code. There are some bugs in it that I can see without actually running the code, but will fix it today.

Be a computer virus!

gimymblert
Level 10

The archivest master, leader of all documents

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2016, 12:22:59 PM »

I don't have to play anything really, I even opt out of rain world's alpha  Cry

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 11, 2016, 09:52:46 AM »

Shooting logic is created, at least for the destruction gun (shotgun variant and other gun types still needs to be implemented), you can even kill stuff that requires gun, now all I need is to implement a pickup that would give you shooting power. I'm thinking about doing it Contra-style, modeling one kind of a pickup, then putting letters inside it denoting gun type, like this:

D - Destruction gun
DS - Destruction shotgun
I - Infection gun
IS - Infection Shotgun
F - Friendliness gun
FS - Friendliness shotgun.

What do you think?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 15, 2016, 09:16:18 AM »

Having a minor setback here. Seems like I've broken project somehow and Unity has problems with it. Working on a solution. In worst case I'll do a rollback, but hopefully it won't come to that.

Be a computer virus!

GarBenjamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 15, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »

Just noticed your reply and that you have a demo out. Cool. I will try it out as soon as I get off work and fill out the questionnaire.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 15, 2016, 12:03:17 PM »

Thanks. As for the issue I've mentioned, I've managed to fix that. Now need to restore few things and I'll be on the right track to taking over the world mwahahhaha making this awesome game.

Be a computer virus!

GarBenjamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 15, 2016, 03:32:37 PM »

Just an FYI here... the Dropbox link gave me this message:

Error (429)
This account's links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

So that seems like a good thing. Lots of people must be trying out the game.
Congrats on getting the project loading/working again!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 15, 2016, 03:46:25 PM »

Yeah, it's been that way for a while. Shame that only one of these downloaded filled out the survey that is located here: http://goo.gl/forms/DkIbYqhgePO66i2o2 - with only one person filling it out it's hard to tell what's really wrong and what can be discarded as white noise.

And thank you! Still, need to reinstall few extensions that I've thought gave me that issue but it turned out they didn't. Will do it today after some sleep. And on Monday I'll start working on it again.

Protip for indie developers: It's important to take weekends off so you can regain creative juices. Spend it on some hobby projects or activities. For example I'm planning to learn some C64 programming over this weekend, other times I play Boundel, great MMO made by great Turkish dev (I hope he's okay) or draw. Point is do nothing directly related to your game. Don't do graphics for it, don't code it.

Yess, it'd be hard and you'd feel that itch of wanting to get back to your game, especially if it's a labor of love. Let it grow. Let it consume you. You'll be twice as effective on Monday when you actually start working on it again.

Be a computer virus!

GarBenjamin
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 15, 2016, 04:22:19 PM »

You should have two now because I left fairly detailed info when I filled out the questionnaire. Hopefully it will help out.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 15, 2016, 05:31:32 PM »

Thanks! Will check it out for sure! Again, for any people who played the predemo, please fill out the survey! It's really important to me. http://goo.gl/forms/DkIbYqhgePO66i2o2

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 15, 2016, 05:50:07 PM »

It seems like you've went straight for the download links, not reading the post. It would help alleviate some of the issues you've encountered. I'd suggest giving it another go. Those numbered things are level selection of which only 4 works in this predemo. You're supposed to touch the button with your character.

I'll see what can I do about making it more clear, both movement and how to proceed in the predemo #2 as it seems I've failed here.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 19, 2016, 03:32:18 AM »

I've finished the gun pickup powerup for now (as more gun types are added will have to modify the code) so I can get back to working on game's levels. Will put up some shooting gif shortly.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 19, 2016, 08:08:52 AM »

Here's the promised gif. Sorry it took so long, but had few bugs to work through first, still there's one here that isn't fixed.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 21, 2016, 02:23:40 PM »

Working on new level. I have a pretty cool idea for it and now that I've finished shooting and the enemy of the level is done, I can work on this thing.

I've also made controls less floaty in mid-air. Now when you let go of movement keys (incl. jump key), the virus stops nearly instantly.

Next up: Need to get one visibility bug fixed. For some reason in main menu the level numbers aren't showing. Need to track down why it's happening and then fix it.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 22, 2016, 06:01:53 AM »

It turns out that visibility thing is an Unity's bug. Fortunately it seems like one of patch releases fixes it. Installing now, will see how it goes. If it works then I can start making some real progress as I was kinda going mad why it wasn't working when it technically should.

Will keep you posted, you deserve the info how it goes. Without you, I can't do jack shit and I know it. Would like to see what do you think about the game.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 24, 2016, 01:58:13 PM »

Usability improvements in the starting area (playable main menu)

Because some people weren't realizing what they should be doing after game was started, I've decided to change playable main menu a little bit so you'd get basic info straight away. For that end, I've created a billboard with basic control info and created path made out of red arrows to the level selection area:

Another thing I've done is making only buttons capable of actually launching a level red, making other gray. That won't matter after predemo phase is over and actual demo is released, but for now it will help avoid confusion:

Now, level #3 isn't launchable in predemo #1, only level #4 is, but since predemo #2 will contain the level #3, I didn't change it color to gray so I can avoid having to change it back.

As you can see, Unity's patch also fixed visibility thing.

//edit: Any other stuff I should be doing to make it even more accessible for new players? As the game's creator I've pretty much memorized how it should be played and really need feedback from people who struggled with it and what went wrong. Such feedback is invaluable for making this game best possible experience.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 02:07:11 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic