Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 04:15:57 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsComputer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Author Topic: Computer Virus Simulator - Patreon is live!  (Read 57264 times)
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #240 on: March 05, 2017, 12:20:02 PM »

The Computer Virus surely likes to jump!

Be a computer virus!

I cannot C well, so I stick with simpler languages.

There are no impossible things, there is only lack of skill.
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 14, 2017, 01:07:53 PM »

I am working on Computer Virus Simulator website as of now.

The level that will be featured in Predemo #2 is also almost finished, only two subareas of the secret area needs to be done still, one of which is almost finished.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 28, 2017, 04:41:33 PM »

Hello. Long time has passed since the last substantial post in this log, haven't it? Well, I'm happy to rectify this situation. For anyone interested in the developments of this game, following things will be good to know:

- The project is alive and well. Despite the mental rollercoaster I have with this game I would never dream of dropping it. I simply can't, it would feel like I'm betraying fans of this game, how few of you there are (if you are a fan, please let me know, ether here or on twitter, @thearkhog - it's a great motivation booster to see your comments, opinions or just that you want this game to happen, not to mention that if you think something is wrong with it I can't sometimes see the problem without someone pointing it out to me, so please feel free to do so).

- The predemo #2 containing level #3, Datacolumns is nearing completion. All I have to do now is to write the dialogues, put triggers to show these in appropriate spots of the level and implement death animations of the Bad Pointer and Data Collecting Processes as they now just disappear on death. Death/hurt sounds too.

- Website is still some ways off. I need to still register the domain name and finish building it.

- The Computer Virus has now his own Twitter account. So why you just don't follow him, like right now? I mean, he's a cool guy, unless you piss him off. Then he'll format your drive, destroy the SATA controller, clear your CMOS memory and will make optical drive open/close constantly in a rhythmical manner. In that exact order. So don't piss him off and follow him, okay?

- Fortunately, as of right now, sentient computer viruses like The Virus haven't been invented yet. Phew.

Again, big thanks to any of you who wants this game to be made. I really appreciate it and I will finish it.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2017, 04:47:54 PM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Ormanus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #243 on: April 03, 2017, 12:20:05 PM »

Hi!
Guess who? Wink
Now I'm bothering you with amateur analyses on the visual appearance of your game on this site.
How is the next predemo progressing?

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -A. C. Clarke
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #244 on: April 03, 2017, 01:01:27 PM »

Very good. Only dialogues, death/hurt sounds for new killables and few interface things (such as displaying what kind of weapon The Virus posseses are left to do. Level's geometry is done, along with a secret area.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #245 on: April 29, 2017, 08:12:06 AM »

Predemo #2 released!

Changes:

- Updated playable main menu to make it less confusing
- Rudimentary options thing (for now you can only choose whether or not you want pixelation/color reduction filters on, options do save), accessible from the same room you select levels in.
- New level, obviously. Level #3, Datacolumns.
- Tighter controls
- Better shadow for The Virus (actually being polygonal circle adjusting angle to surface under Virus)
- Interface improvements, such as showing in Viral Powers section whether or not smash attack is ready and which guntype Virus has.
- Virus can now shoot (after getting appropriate collectible)
- Virus can now collect things to get score (score items retroactively added to level #4)
- Minor adjustments to level #4, Puzzle Acrobatics.
- New loading ASCII arts

Download (haven't bothered with dropbox link this time): https://mega.nz/#!aJdwVQAZ!5bhg4t5nBmfKn86C8t3MwZrNM8WK6Kq7p8bTAr-Dzag

Post-play survey: https://goo.gl/forms/OpSld0GPsLsCVXoZ2
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 08:23:05 AM by darkhog » Logged

Be a computer virus!

Ormanus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: May 01, 2017, 09:27:41 AM »

I believe I can fly
I believe I can touch the sky(box)... ♫ ♪

Seriously, climbing walls doesn't feel like a feature that should be in this game. :D
In the 3rd level I could save myself every time I was about to fall and in the 4th level I could skip the "Acrobatics" part.

I like the new level more than the previous one. Nice idea, enough space, good colors... Maybe some tweaking here and there, but mostly playing it felt good.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. -A. C. Clarke
darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #247 on: May 01, 2017, 10:47:00 AM »

Oh, wall-climbing will become more important in the further levels of the game (level 5 and levels past the demo). Think of these as first levels of a game. They're not hard to make you feel good about yourself and tackle future challenges with more confidence than if the game went all Dark Souls on you right from the start.

Also, if you can do something in specific way, it's intended. The platforming puzzle there is more for people who like that sort of challenge.

But thank you for your feedback. I'll consider it for future levels.

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #248 on: May 01, 2017, 10:51:25 AM »

Also, how did you like the humor?

Be a computer virus!

Ormanus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #249 on: May 01, 2017, 11:10:50 AM »

I see... I'd like some kind of tutorial for the wall-climbing, if it's going to be important. I can do it, but I don't know if mashing buttons as quickly as I can is the best technique... xD

The humor... made me smile, but not laugh. It's not easy to make me laugh, though, so don't be discouraged.
I'm not very good at analyzing humor, but at least in the start of the 3rd level the joke dragged on too long.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: May 01, 2017, 11:49:27 AM »

I see. The first level will be a tutorial. The point of these predemos is to hone the gameplay and writing based on the feedback. If these levels can work and be fun in isolation, they should work together as well.

Be a computer virus!

Ormanus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: May 01, 2017, 12:09:44 PM »

Sounds reasonable. Maybe you should make the first level next? Then testers would have a better idea how the game is supposed to be played.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: May 01, 2017, 12:25:08 PM »

I think I'll do second level first. You gotta put a lot of thought into the design of the tutorial so your players will like it as a level too and learn by doing, not by being told what to do. And I kinda already have second level planned out in my head more or less.

Don't worry, when tutorial comes, it will teach you well.

By the way, did you find secret secret area in the level 3?

Be a computer virus!

Ormanus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: May 01, 2017, 12:45:48 PM »

I understand. Smiley

Secret secret? I was hoping I could sleep tonight, but I may have to spend some time finding out what you're talking about...

Ormanus
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: May 01, 2017, 01:00:33 PM »

Oh well... Now that I knew there was something to look for it didn't take long.
The first time I accidentally skipped the dialogue and didn't even find the yellow button. This time I found a pentagram and a message...

Btw, I'd stay clear of political topics in the jokes.

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: May 12, 2017, 07:08:26 AM »

In few days, I plan to release a minor patch for the predemo #2 since few people have told me about bug in the options menu screwing up the UI. No additional content will be added to it, just fix for the options menu and making it look better (since for now it looks kinda crude).

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 16, 2017, 04:35:29 PM »

For anyone who played the second predemo, please fill out the survey!

It really helps to make this game better and feedback from previous survey for predemo #1 helped make the main menu area less confusing, so you have the power to help me make the game better!

Your opinions do matter and the best way to express them is to fill out the survey if you haven't done it already!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2017, 03:16:20 PM »

Did a very bad thing while designing new level and I need to rework an entire area. Whoops! Moving several hundred objects sure will be fun... Sigh, will have to see what I can do about editor's performance.

Also remember that you can now play the second predemo if you want to! (this post offers more details and a way to obtain it!)

And if you played it, be sure to fill out post-play survey! It helps immensely to make the game the best possible experience if I have your feedback!

Cheers!

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 29, 2017, 07:30:32 AM »

I'll be doing some improvements to the level editor speed currently because it has some nasty framerate issues for some weird reason. I think I know what causes the issue and what could be done to fix it, but unfortunately it'll require me to dig into some third-party extension code and as old coding adage goes, there are two types of code: Code you understand and code written by someone else. Sigh... That will be fun.

Don't worry, I'll pull up Smiley. In the meantime, why won't you play the second predemo and give me your opinions in the survey?

Be a computer virus!

darkhog
Level 7

Dragon Agent

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: June 05, 2017, 09:13:40 AM »

Sorry for the radio silence. The reason for it is that I've encountered some issues regarding the level editor that I had to fix. The thing was it behaved oddly when too many objects were selected and while I somewhat fixed the issue in question, I am still waiting for a proper fix that will completely get rid of these issues from asset store vendor I've bought runtime transformation widget code.

Please note that this is not me lashing out at that person, I have nothing but positive things to say about him and would recommend his asset in heartbeat if asked. I'm just stating the facts.

Fortunately these issues have been somewhat fixed and I am able to continue development of CVS and building the new level. Was able to get some work done today and I want to assure anyone who wonders that the project is very much alive and well.

I also would like to remind everyone that the second predemo is available for download. Also, if you do play it, please fill out post-play survey. I really want you to fill it, as your feedback will help to make the game better.

Thank you and have a nice day.

Be a computer virus!

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic