Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411514 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 27, 2024, 02:15:50 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsSOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Author Topic: SOMERVILLE - A Sci-fi Adventure  (Read 94886 times)
Miziziziz
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »

Lookin shiny!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: February 23, 2015, 02:23:33 AM »

Lookin shiny!

Thankyou mate!

Just reuploaded the level gifs to not be so awful, colour wise in the previous post.  Need one of those monitor calibration thingies or a monitor instead of a TV.

goog
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 23, 2015, 06:47:34 AM »

Very, *very* pretty so far. Only element that I don't like is the clouds, everything else is a kind of stylized realism, while the clouds are just rectangles (but thats super-duper minor crit).

Please, more! I can't wait to play it.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 06:55:45 AM by goog » Logged
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: February 23, 2015, 07:09:35 AM »

Very, *very* pretty so far. Only element that I don't like is the clouds, everything else is a kind of stylized realism, while the clouds are just rectangles (but thats super-duper minor crit).

Please, more! I can't wait to play it.

Yeah I agree.  The clouds were a lazy solution in the hunt for a stylized one.  It also doesn't help that they don't aid the depth that the other elements contribute to.  Which is the main reason to add them in the first place.  If anyone has reference for stylized clouds that hasn't been done to death already I'm all eyes.

William Chyr
Level 8

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: February 23, 2015, 09:03:52 PM »

Just popping in to say that the game looks really great! The art style reminds me very much of Kentucky Route Zero, but the animations and gameplay elements are much more action-ey.

Looking forward to following the game and seeing how it develops!

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: February 24, 2015, 04:52:42 AM »

SHIELD AND SHOCK PROTOTYPING

Starting to build the attack and defence functionality in.  Will throw up this tesla pole-like device to cycle colours and prewarn it's blast in order for you to respond with the appropriate button to pass through safely or roast like a chestnut. Will layer in some nice 2D electrical sparkles to help it sit in the scene more, akin to the death beam.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: February 24, 2015, 04:53:34 AM »

Just popping in to say that the game looks really great! The art style reminds me very much of Kentucky Route Zero, but the animations and gameplay elements are much more action-ey.

Looking forward to following the game and seeing how it develops!

Cheers mate!  Smiley

oldblood
Level 10

...Not again.

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 24, 2015, 06:49:32 AM »

Been great to see all these updates. Very cinematic feel to it all.

Excited to see the non-human characters you showed concepts of earlier in the devlog.

deroesi
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 24, 2015, 10:22:46 AM »

wow, very impressive... especially the character animation. nice work!

.....the computer is just a toy, you are the tool.

my cg portfolio - www.shaidacher.com
my indie project - http://moldgame.wordpress.com
autumnspark
Level 0

hnnngh

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: February 24, 2015, 11:15:41 AM »

I know you have to take things one step at a time, but sort of music do you have in mind? I can't help but feel a sad electro-jazz vibe from some of the gifs  Noir

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #70 on: February 24, 2015, 12:45:54 PM »

Thanks guys.  Woke up this morning to a mini barrage of positivity on this.  All fuels the tank, so cheers!

I know you have to take things one step at a time, but sort of music do you have in mind? I can't help but feel a sad electro-jazz vibe from some of the gifs  Noir

Ah the music and sound design.  I have a good friend of mine working on it with only a nursery rhyme melody to go off from me.  (Yeah JOHN has his own nursery rhyme in the future)  He's weaving it into all sorts so the theme shall run throughout but mood wise he's done iterations in a kinda lonely acoustic folk but nothing's been nailed down.  Will update here with a link as soon as he gives me the go ahead.

Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: February 24, 2015, 06:35:23 PM »

Just realised I never fixed the broken image link on the first page for some people.  Anyway it's fixed now.  Was the quick animation I did when pitching the mechanics to my friends.

Also an early concept for defeating such minion and the foundation for all the shooter mechanics.

PRDXCL
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: February 25, 2015, 05:44:27 AM »

HOT
acatalept
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: February 25, 2015, 02:31:57 PM »

This looks incredible... that shot of running through the rain was just amazing Wink

FYI, if still looking for a monitor, it's hard to beat a Dell Ultrasharp IPS:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6308/dell-u2713hm-unbeatable-performance-out-of-the-box

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/dell_u2713hm.htm

That one's about $600 USD, but if you're patient Dell has coupon codes on a regular basis that cut a big chunk off that...

(FWIW I've had a Dell 24" U2407 wide-gamut IPS since 2007, and it's been an outstanding 8 years)

tupperwarespoon
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: February 25, 2015, 06:21:39 PM »

Dude, this looks amazing.

I Lol'd hard at your 'apply root motion' bug, she and I have enjoyed creating some horrifying bugs in the past.

The art style is fantastic and even what little you've mentioned of gameplay has me curious.

David Jenkinson, Duct Tape Games
Olsen
Level 1

somervillegame.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2015, 07:49:48 PM »

Cheers guys, much appreciated! 

@acatalept

Yeah i've got the old U2711 IPS Dell back in the UK, just too big to bring over to aus.  Decided to pickup an Asus PB278Q, it's good to finally have some faith in my colours.

tanis
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: February 26, 2015, 09:39:47 AM »

The style of your game is amazing! Indeed it brings me back to Another World.. geez.. I loved that game! Best of luck with Somerville. I'll keep an eye in there to follow your progress! Cheers!

wthit56
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 26, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »

Looks amazing so far!
Rolkus
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: February 26, 2015, 05:46:12 PM »

This looks outstanding.

I was a big Another World fan.

Started following you on Twitter too, keen fore more updates.

@rolkus

Crockets!
Break and Enter
meowanme
« Reply #79 on: February 26, 2015, 06:02:41 PM »

Posting to follow!
Looks super cool!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 16
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic