Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 05:13:01 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityTownhallForum IssuesArchived subforums (read only)Archived ProjectsBalding's Quest (Moderator: BMcC)Balding's Quest: Milestone 1
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Print
Author Topic: Balding's Quest: Milestone 1  (Read 182913 times)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #260 on: February 25, 2007, 02:19:57 PM »

Haha, super.  Grin  ::right-click-saves::

Hey, er... Can I get a ladder idling animation, please?  It doesn't have to be fancy or anything.

SIDENOTE:  Crawling under obstacles is a lot more fun than you'd think.  Wink

I can whip it up. Hope Xion sees this. Shocked

If you're working on it Xion let me nooose

Already finished.

Go ahead and keep making it if you want though.

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #261 on: February 25, 2007, 02:22:14 PM »

Bezzy: I'm not sure I follow, but the way it works right now is if your character magically winds up in a 1 tile high gap (or if he climbs a ladder or ledge into one), he'll crouch by default.

Other than that, I wanted the player to decide.  So you can crawl around on your belly all you'd like, and you have to manually crouch then crawl to get under gaps in front of you.

Xion:  Jeez, that was fast!  Shocked

Well, alright!

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #262 on: February 25, 2007, 02:25:32 PM »

Bezzy: I'm not sure I follow, but the way it works right now is if your character magically winds up in a 1 tile high gap (or if he climbs a ladder or ledge into one), he'll crouch by default.

Other than that, I wanted the player to decide.  So you can crawl around on your belly all you'd like, and you have to manually crouch then crawl to get under gaps in front of you.

Sure, crouch should definately be something the player can do(to duck enemies etc), but maybe it'd be worth an experiment to auto-duck you as you run into a gap? Or nay? In my head, it seems like it'd be smoother.

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: February 25, 2007, 02:30:11 PM »

Haha, super.  Grin  ::right-click-saves::

Hey, er... Can I get a ladder idling animation, please?  It doesn't have to be fancy or anything.

SIDENOTE:  Crawling under obstacles is a lot more fun than you'd think.  Wink

I can whip it up. Hope Xion sees this. Shocked

If you're working on it Xion let me nooose

Already finished.

Go ahead and keep making it if you want though.

I'm straight!  might still post though just for looks.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #264 on: February 25, 2007, 02:35:16 PM »

Sure, crouch should definately be something the player can do(to duck enemies etc), but maybe it'd be worth an experiment to auto-duck you as you run into a gap? Or nay? In my head, it seems like it'd be smoother.

It would be smoother, but IMO I think as much of this game should be directly controlled as possible.  Also, there are various issues that would pop up and affect level design -- like if the player were avoiding an enemy by running into a corner then waiting to jump him, but because of a gap there making him automatically duck instead, he gets hit.  (That's just the first thing that popped into my head.)

Besides, it's fun to crouch manually!  Ask anybody.  Cool
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 02:39:10 PM by BMcC » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #265 on: February 25, 2007, 02:42:54 PM »

He's right. It is.

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #266 on: February 25, 2007, 03:01:26 PM »

The border actually has a built in shadow with alpha that will cover part of the "screen."  You can take this out if you want, but I thought it might be neat.  Since we're using UBER TECHNOLOGY and all that. Wink

EDIT: Oops, forgot to mention, this was a collab between me and Prom (he drew the neato screws).  And it's very much a placeholder made for this milestone.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #267 on: February 25, 2007, 03:06:54 PM »

Awesome!  I'll plug this right in (I've been using a placeholder).  Grin

Hehe, we are indeed using uber technology, but it is still being rendered in oldschool 2D, so translucency is costly.*  But, hello, OPTIONS MENU.  I like it.  Smiley

*Spoiled by free rotation and alpha blending, AQUARIA BOY?!

EDIT:  Ah, placeholder you say?  Well it's still over 9000 times better than mine.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:09:55 PM by BMcC » Logged

BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #268 on: February 25, 2007, 03:25:28 PM »

I just thought of another tricky trick.

Instead of blending over the screen, why not take advantage of the game being in high color and just make all tiles for the top and left of the game screen gradient?  Then EVERYONE will see it at NO cost.  :D

Hooray for precomputed effects!

Derek
Bastich
Administrator
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #269 on: February 25, 2007, 03:42:31 PM »

Haha, that works, too.  Take the shadow out for now, though.  We can worry about adding gradient to the edge tiles later.

Btw, regarding the name, I think "Balding's Quest" is my favorite.  Or maybe Balding Quest?  As much as I like Guy Balding: the Adventure of Guy Balding, I'm finding it hard to say "Hey, man, have you checked out that game Guy Balding?  It's awesome!"

However I can totally see myself saying "Dude, Balding's Quest is the best platform game ever made."

Full title could be "Balding's Quest: the Adventure of Guy Balding."  That's pretty hilarious too, imo.
BMcC
Senior Editor, Hero,
Level 10

Bee Mixsy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #270 on: February 25, 2007, 03:45:53 PM »

::er hem::

Balding's Quest:  The Quest of Guy Balding

Hahahaha

EDIT:  Hey, what if I just take the gradient tiles from your mockup and use those?  Is that OK?
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 03:48:30 PM by BMcC » Logged

Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #271 on: February 25, 2007, 03:49:58 PM »

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #272 on: February 25, 2007, 03:54:26 PM »

It would be smoother, but IMO I think as much of this game should be directly controlled as possible.  Also, there are various issues that would pop up and affect level design -- like if the player were avoiding an enemy by running into a corner then waiting to jump him, but because of a gap there making him automatically duck instead, he gets hit.  (That's just the first thing that popped into my head.)

Alright. I thought it might eliminate an uninteresting choice (i.e. still can't see a reason* why you wouldn't want to auto crouch if that's the only choice worth making), but if it's fun, leave it be.

*Oh wait, I thought of one: if you want to jump and cling to a block which is 2 high, but has a gap underneath, you might want to clip against the wall to sort of "line yourself up".

HEY AM I OVERTHINKING STUFF AGAIN, FATRON? WELL FUCK YOU, FUCKHOLE.

Now I'm drunk AND abusive. Get used to it, all you bastard heads!

Bezzy
Level 5

Loves the Gloves

View Profile WWW
« Reply #273 on: February 25, 2007, 03:55:57 PM »

Oh man! That makes me want to take stock of my life! In a good way!

vitaminNewB
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: February 25, 2007, 03:59:47 PM »

Heh heh,  cRaZeHhazay.   
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #275 on: February 25, 2007, 04:43:19 PM »

Balding Quest: Beyond Balding
Balding Quest: Shiny Dome of Fury
Balding Quest: Never say Bald

Uh... yea. Wink
Madgarden
Level 1

C=

View Profile
« Reply #276 on: February 25, 2007, 04:45:23 PM »

That zap looks really cool! Though I wonder if it might look more zappy if he was pure black instead of flesh coloured in frames 1 and 3...
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #277 on: February 25, 2007, 05:00:50 PM »

That zap looks really cool! Though I wonder if it might look more zappy if he was pure black instead of flesh coloured in frames 1 and 3...
I dunno. You decide:
I think you're right. Then maybe he can lie on the ground smoldering for a second.

PARTY TIME!

Breakdancing turned out to be too hard for my skill/patience level. Maybe later...or someone else can try.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2007, 05:11:02 PM by Xion » Logged

Arne
The Pantymaster
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #278 on: February 25, 2007, 05:37:45 PM »

Awesome anims again Xian! Yes, that's a Tako/Squid/Zelda 2 Octoroc. Maybe it's friendly?

Yeah, Derek and I discussed the border. I ended up drawing Metroid stuff instead though.

We had an idea of the screen being able to scroll down to show that it's:
+ A handheld.
+ A little picture of Balding and the Boss, whatever it is. (A picture like on those old metallic Game&Watch games.)
+ Gimicky UI (setting controls, maybe saving?)

(Red=Cropped)

Here's the mockup border I did (noodled some on it after passing it to Derek). Simple inward bevel, not much thought behind it. There's only 3 pixels overlapping in the corner. Oh yes, Derek suggested unlockable borders, skinnable. Or maybe you can just replace the image yourself.

(Spaceship is from my Metroid GFP project.)
Xion
Pixelhead
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #279 on: February 25, 2007, 05:58:51 PM »

Shocked Dude, that is awesome! I really like the idea of scrolling down to a full handheld. And zomg Metroid! For unlockable borders maybe one for each themed area once you complete said area?

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 17
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic