Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 26, 2024, 04:40:58 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsRogueWorld
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Author Topic: RogueWorld  (Read 19798 times)
Zorg
Level 9

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 11, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »

Im curious how you'll design gauntlet and greaves. You could design different hair styles, too. That would be fun. :D

(No idea how long it took me do pixel that helmet. I did a fast sketch and did some revisions later from time to time between reading different articles. Feel free to use use or modify it as you like. I'm not an experienced pixel artist and was surprised it turned out that good, imho.)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2015, 11:30:16 AM by Zorg » Logged
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2015, 12:04:13 PM »

I've been super busy working on graphics lately.

*gif may take a bit to load*
Still lots of work to do. And lots of optimization.
Character is still the test-sprite.
The fire is dynamic and spreads.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:15:25 PM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Roguelike platformer: RogueWorld
aamatniekss
Level 4

hiya

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 21, 2015, 11:17:23 PM »

Oh wow, that looks absolutely sick! The only thing im not a fan of is the character. He looks just a bit too generic, while everything else has a pretty cool unique look to it.

dancing_dead
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 22, 2015, 12:04:20 AM »

looks beautiful, man.
karlozalb
Level 5

Do or do not.There is no try.

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 22, 2015, 12:24:17 AM »

Wow, that last gif looks really amazing (BTW I prefer que 1st character too Tongue)
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 22, 2015, 01:40:06 AM »

Oh my god. Nobody was replying for like the whole day and I was super sad  Sad
Thank you to aamatniekss for bumping it Beer!
Thanks so much guys Grin
I'll be making it less busy looking, since the game will be pretty action-heavy. I want enemies and pickups to be easily see-able. Hopefully I won't make it look worse in the process.
And yeah aamatniekss, the character is just the test-sprite, like I said. I've been putting off the job of designing the main character, cause that's reeeaaally important, and I just don't feel like tackling that yet.

So, just to elaborate on this... This is the jungle dungeon. There will be 10 dungeons in the game. I'll list them here. They might change, but this is what's planned-
-The Jungle
-The Abyss (underwater dungeon)
-The Stars (space)
-The Crypt (like a diablo dungeon)
-The Volcano (lots of lava)
-The Bitlands (this dungeon is all retro and video game-y)
-The Frigid (ice dungeon)
-The Desolate (desert dungeon)
-The Tower (dungeon inspired by my favorite game "towerclimb". It'll be like climbing a huge tall machine)
-The factory (final dungeon, can't talk about it *story spoilers*)

Then there's the final boss.

I've pretty much got the whole game planned out. It's just gonna take a long ass time to make it Cry

CaptainRad
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 22, 2015, 04:00:27 AM »

I must say, the game looks absolutely AMAZING.
For you to be doing this on your own, you must be really dedicated to seeing this through.  This really inspires me to go out and make games on my own!

The artwork shown in the last gif is amazing, and I look forward to seeing more of RogueWorld in the future  Smiley
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 22, 2015, 01:08:44 PM »

I must say, the game looks absolutely AMAZING.
For you to be doing this on your own, you must be really dedicated to seeing this through.  This really inspires me to go out and make games on my own!

The artwork shown in the last gif is amazing, and I look forward to seeing more of RogueWorld in the future  Smiley

Thank you so much!  Grin
Yeah, I'm very dedicated to this game. Even if I had to start from scratch, I'd do it again.
This game needs to get made. It just seems like a game I could play for the rest of my life and not get bored with.
It really means a lot that this has inspired you to make games Grin

DarkWanderer
Level 3

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 22, 2015, 05:30:36 PM »

Looking good dude Coffee
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 23, 2015, 02:32:25 PM »

I messed around with some effects yesterday.

Welcome to barfs-ville

I turned off lighting just so you can see the effects better.
These are only a few of the effects I can use with construct classic.

The possibilities of where to use these are overwhelming!
I'm thinking I can use some as debuffs, so an enemy can throw a stun grenade-ish thing at you, and make the screen go all wavey for a few seconds. That effect REALLY is nauseating, lol.

I'll probably use the pixelize one for transitions through doors.

I also want to have a "glitch" level feeling. So sometimes when you enter a dungeon, the game will seem glitched. So every once in a while, it'll put on one of those glitchy effects for a few seconds. This level feeling does a lot more than this, like placing invisible blocks, randomly changing colors of blocks, moving HUD elements, changing the scales of enemies. It'll really feel like you're going insane, lol.

Of course, I can alter these while the game is running. So I can do things like change the color of the screen when low on health, or blur the edges of the screen, etc. SO MANY POSSIBILITIES!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:16:32 PM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 23, 2015, 02:51:45 PM »

I can imagine that slanted, really tall effect being used for a really long fall.
But wow. The effects really work well with your art, even if some of it is placeholder.

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 25, 2015, 03:28:11 PM »

Well it's been a while since my last update. I've been busy with life. I have a job now, so development is gonna slow down from now on... as if it wasn't slow enough already Lips Sealed I'm still working on it, and I have some new stuff to show, but I'm gonna hold off for a while. I want my next update to show lots of new stuff! It's more exciting that way  Cheesy

Just to prove I'm still working on it, here's a new song, for the ice caves.
https://dl.dropbox.com/s/a1wbe299cbi8p8p/Ice%20cave.wav?dl=0 (Might be a bit loud)

I don't know why I keep making songs so long. The ice caves is a sub-level. You get there by going through a door within the snow dungeon. You'll probably only be there for like a minute, get what's in there and come out. Oh well, I guess it's not really a serious problem.

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 25, 2015, 11:50:05 PM »

Watched gameplay gif while listening new track. Pretty nice Wink

What the second and fourth stat bars are for?

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 26, 2015, 10:01:01 AM »

Watched gameplay gif while listening new track. Pretty nice Wink

What the second and fourth stat bars are for?
Thanks!

The second bar is a blood meter. 2 days ago I changed that sprite to a blood vial. It looks much better now. When you kill enemies, blood will come out, when you collect blood, that meter fills up. When it fills up, you get a blood vial. Blood vials are an item you can use by pressing a button, and heal 10% of your max health.

The fourth bar is an air meter. That will come up when you go underwater. It's just a mockup meter. It doesn't actually work yet. That's why it's there all the time for now.

And as you may have guessed, 1st is health and 3rd is hunger.

Bluebutton
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 26, 2015, 10:09:19 AM »

The artwork is spectacular. Very impressive work for one guy!

Love the fire particle effects!

Octopus Tophat
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: June 15, 2015, 01:32:46 PM »

For the past few days I've been working on lighting/platforming physics. I had to re-do platforming physics because I was using built-in code from the editor to handle platforming, but with the scale of my game, I need more control over the player, for things like grappling hooks. I'll have an update on the platforming physics once they're done. For now: LIGHTING!

This is the old lighting. It was just black to white gradient circles wherever lights were. I would put a filter on it for different coloring. A shader was used to make the whole screen black except for where these circles were.
This was really simple, and looked ok, but I just wanted something better. A more realistic flow of light, like terraria.
(By the way, this wasn't actually how it looked normally. I drew the gradients in a foreground layer. To see what it looked like, scroll up to my my "graphics" update.)

This is the new lighting. Light flows through the air, decreasing in intensity over distance. When it penetrates a block, the value decreases more.

Here I generate the tile decals (plus old-lighting gradients). That makes everything look pretty. Then I generate the lightmap (and throw away the old lighting).
Color isn't supported yet, but will be.

I think it looks pretty good Cool

I was stuck on a bug regarding the light penetrating through blocks for like 2 whole days. I finally fixed it a couple hours ago. I was on the verge of giving up, but I was soooo happy when I fixed it.  Tears of Joy

I have lots more work to do. Tired
-Add colored lighting
-Make it smoother looking
-Make it real-time

I think I'm going to take a break from lighting though, and finish the platforming physics.
Thanks for reading  Beer!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2015, 04:18:12 PM by Octopus Tophat » Logged

Crabby
Level 2

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2015, 01:34:40 PM »

Hooray for lighting!   Hand Clap Smiley

Working on something new!
Follow me @CrabbyDev.
Rotondo
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2015, 05:45:30 PM »

Loving the progress on this, keep it up!

mk
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #78 on: June 16, 2015, 05:47:12 AM »

Wow, I like the new lighting.

BC92
Level 0

@1Saiyan_

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 16, 2015, 07:50:31 AM »

This game looks awesome, can't wait to play !
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic