Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411525 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58431 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 06:27:06 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411968 times)
Raku
Level 10

Dream's Bell

View Profile WWW
« Reply #220 on: November 20, 2015, 06:07:45 AM »

That all looks great! I love the heavy weight it feels like it has, with the screen rumbling as it rolls. I think if you want to avoid word bubbles or anything, maybe it's eye blinks rapidly a few times, or the shell flashes a color as it notices her? Loving the springy ropes now too, thats great

Pix n chips
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: November 20, 2015, 06:31:10 AM »

The snail looks cool.Loved the screen shake. I think in the alert phase you could add an exclamation mark over the snail I did it in a game and it worked.

Pineapple
Level 10

~♪

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:00 AM »

I really love how smooth this looks! It's got a lot of character, and I think that must be what really makes or breaks a platformer like this one.
Jasmine
Level 5

Boop

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: November 20, 2015, 08:59:55 AM »

Saw this, INSTANTLY put a huge smile on my face:

Indivisibled

Do you have anything to do with this? Wink

Schoq
Level 10

♡∞

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: November 20, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »

looks like a dumb coincidence

♡ ♥ make games, not money ♥ ♡
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #225 on: November 22, 2015, 11:37:29 AM »

Thank you for all the comments!

Indivisibled

Glad you both thought of my Leilani when you saw this! But yeah, it's just a coincidence I think - nothing to do with me anyway.

A good '!' over the snail's head when it sees you might do the trick. Smiley

The snail looks cool.Loved the screen shake. I think in the alert phase you could add an exclamation mark over the snail I did it in a game and it worked.

An exclamation mark could work as a general indicator for all of these types of enemies (enemies that react when they see you). As long as it's pretty bold then it should stand out against scenery - I might give it a go. Thanks!

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #226 on: November 22, 2015, 07:39:56 PM »

You're welcome. Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
flipswitchx
Level 3

View Profile WWW
« Reply #227 on: November 23, 2015, 12:45:44 AM »

Thank you for all the comments!

Indivisibled

Glad you both thought of my Leilani when you saw this! But yeah, it's just a coincidence I think - nothing to do with me anyway.

Sorry but how can that be a coincidence? I mean, I dunno... I guess it's good for you right? But at the same time I feel like they stole something from you a little bit. Those guys already have enough going for them so it kinda makes me angry.  Huh?

I wouldn't know what you could say to them either, but I just get the feeling they saw your character and just took the name and said to themselves
"we have more fans so it won't be contested". :|

Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #228 on: November 23, 2015, 05:28:38 AM »

They're both hawaiian girls. They've got flowers in their hair. 'Leilani' is a flower name, and a girl's name, and a hawaiian name.

It's basically the 'italian named mario' level of stereotype based design. I don't think your feel is accurate. (I also think Lab Zero is nice people and I don't get why you'd assume they're bad people who'd do mean things)

Ishi, when the shellthing rolls, I just want it to completely lose the shell opening and become a spiked wheel. I just adore that kind of stylization of motion. So I'm throwing that out there to see if you're charmed by the idea. Also I love this game. I want to play it now!! Can I play it now?
BlackseaOdyssey
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #229 on: November 23, 2015, 09:03:17 AM »

NEStalgia. Wink

airman4
Level 10

Need More Time !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #230 on: November 23, 2015, 09:58:50 AM »

Truly great
Probably a dumb question but your game have big levels or it's just little action like in your gif ?

surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #231 on: November 23, 2015, 10:21:16 AM »

Sorry but how can that be a coincidence? I mean, I dunno... I guess it's good for you right? But at the same time I feel like they stole something from you a little bit. Those guys already have enough going for them so it kinda makes me angry.  Huh?
You'll be shocked when you hear the

. How dare they preemptively steal this character?!

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
basweijenberg
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #232 on: November 23, 2015, 01:15:13 PM »

I love those springy ropes!! Do you lose your balance after standing still for a while?
Also, I would love to see some more camera movement, are all levels seperated in single screens?

Keep up the great work! Hand Thumbs Up Left

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #233 on: November 23, 2015, 02:14:23 PM »

They're both hawaiian girls. They've got flowers in their hair. 'Leilani' is a flower name, and a girl's name, and a hawaiian name.

It's basically the 'italian named mario' level of stereotype based design.

I've had things actually blatantly stolen in the past and this just doesn't feel like that to me. Like Jad says, Leilani's name and general design are about as generic as you can get for a Hawaiian girl character. How about Princess Leilani from Adventure Island, a character I didn't learn about until I'd already started work on this game.

I will work harder on integrating my own Leilani's character (grumpy) and design (anything green and pink Smiley ) into the game!

Ishi, when the shellthing rolls, I just want it to completely lose the shell opening and become a spiked wheel. I just adore that kind of stylization of motion. So I'm throwing that out there to see if you're charmed by the idea. Also I love this game. I want to play it now!! Can I play it now?

That's a pretty good shout, I have been a little on the lazy side of making the rolling look cool considering it's such an integral mechanic in the game. Simplifying the detail and shapes and adding motion blur (like with Leilani's roll animation) would be really cool. I try to stylise things where I can. I'm not sure when I will get around to doing a polish pass on these things but will bear it in mind. Thanks Smiley

Life is busy but still chipping away towards a playable demo, thanks for being patient!

Truly great
Probably a dumb question but your game have big levels or it's just little action like in your gif ?
I love those springy ropes!! Do you lose your balance after standing still for a while?
Also, I would love to see some more camera movement, are all levels seperated in single screens?

The levels are bigger with camera scrolling, it's just that a static camera makes the gifs way smaller in size! This gif is the best example of a full level that I have. It's just a blocked out level, so the environment graphics are *not* final.

As for the ropes, Leilani can only travel on them by rolling, otherwise she falls through. It hasn't been playtested yet really so it's subject to change, but I really want rolling to be a core interaction with many elements in the game.

How dare they preemptively steal this character?!

Never heard this band and I like a bit of 80s music. Thanks Wink

Right, time to get some work done before bed...

gunswordfist
Level 10

View Profile WWW
« Reply #234 on: November 23, 2015, 08:21:45 PM »

Oh whoa, honestly powerups out of floating boxes are rarer than you thin (no sarcasm). It's nice to see that and some upscrolling.  Smiley

Indie games I have purchased:
Spelunky
Shoot 1UP
Jad
Level 8

Bomb Boy

View Profile WWW
« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2015, 02:34:42 AM »

Wait, Leilani is grumpy?

.... I need to make another fanart with more character accuracy now ò _ó
surt
Level 7

Meat by-product.

View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 24, 2015, 11:52:14 AM »

Wait, Leilani is grumpy?
Well, stomping, kicking and headbutting things is usually an indicator that I'm feeling grumpy.

Real life would be so much better with permadeath.
PJ Gallery - OGA Gallery - CC0 Scraps
orange08
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #237 on: November 24, 2015, 12:07:46 PM »

The lava would look better if you had little magma bubbles, or some kind of particle splashing out of it.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #238 on: December 03, 2015, 01:28:51 PM »

Hi all,

I haven't been good at regular updates recently but have been working hard! I'm chipping away at some level design and also improving various other small bits and bobs.

I want to keep sharing things with you, so here's the current progress on the snail's alert phase when it sees Leilani and attacks.

A smoother roll anim (as we talked about previously) and some dust effects and I think it'll look pretty good!

Previous version is here.

and
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #239 on: December 04, 2015, 05:13:20 AM »

I want to keep sharing things with you, so here's the current progress on the snail's alert phase when it sees Leilani and attacks.

If you want to share a build of the game with me I'm totally cool with that Wink

In other news, I really like that little alert animation - it's clear that it's about to roll and I like the eye growing slightly when it spots you too.

Good work!

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic