Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411507 Posts in 69374 Topics- by 58429 Members - Latest Member: Alternalo

April 25, 2024, 11:42:23 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsCommunityDevLogsLeilani's Island
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 67
Print
Author Topic: Leilani's Island  (Read 411802 times)
VitaliusSch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #800 on: March 27, 2018, 10:20:00 PM »

Hello there!  Well, hello there!
Your game looks very good. The animation is so beautiful.
Keep it up! Hand Joystick

RizeoftheSummonds
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #801 on: March 28, 2018, 12:22:03 AM »

So basically, this is a combination of mario and sonic? Loving it, when does your team plan on launching kickstarter and releasing this game? Too early to ask? Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #802 on: March 29, 2018, 02:21:58 AM »

I think the destruction needs more "Vlambeer"

The style of the game is intentionally nowhere near as intense as that Vlambeer video about juice. But, yeah maybe a little more punch in the factory destruction effects would be good. Smiley
Oh no worries, that is pretty clear from the gifs, and it's great (for this game) because it gives the whole thing a very chilled out feeling that fits the tropical paradise theme.

But that's all the more reason to violently destroy those ugly factories! Evil

Also, add me to the reclaimed-by-nature crowd!
Neo-Dragon
TIGBaby

View Profile WWW
« Reply #803 on: March 29, 2018, 07:21:21 AM »

I randomly saw this game pop up on my twitter feed today and I just wanted to say it looks awesome. I love the pixel style and all the little touches you added to it are great.
chrilley
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #804 on: March 29, 2018, 11:23:04 AM »

I keep dropping in on this thread now and then and the progress is very impressive! I am digging the Super Mario Style Over World a lot by the way Smiley

EJlol
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #805 on: March 29, 2018, 11:32:45 PM »

Here another vote for reclaiming by nature. Or have maybe some parts of the world map poluted (purple ground?), and when you destroy the factory it will turn back to healthy grass. Smiley

EDIT: And if you really want to spend time on it, you could have each factory focus on different kind of polutions. For instance one factory puffs out lots of smoke covering the path to the next part of the island. Another one keeps throwing out plastic garbage blocking the way. etc.
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #806 on: March 30, 2018, 12:56:09 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments <3

So basically, this is a combination of mario and sonic? Loving it, when does your team plan on launching kickstarter and releasing this game? Too early to ask? Smiley

Yep it's inspired by Mario, also Wario Land and the Donkey Kong Country games a bit. There's not as much Sonic in there as it doesn't have the speed and physics-y feeling. My current plan is to just keep working on the game in my free time, not sure what the future holds yet!

EDIT: And if you really want to spend time on it, you could have each factory focus on different kind of polutions. For instance one factory puffs out lots of smoke covering the path to the next part of the island. Another one keeps throwing out plastic garbage blocking the way. etc.

Nice idea, I have something like this in one area already with a polluted river: https://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=46289.msg1370023#msg1370023

Quote from: Lots of people
Reclaimed by nature

I did a mockup of this actually when I first drew the factory sprites, so yeah it might make its way into the game... Wink

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #807 on: March 30, 2018, 08:21:49 AM »

The factory is meant to be a bit ugly, it gives good incentive to destroy it! But yeah the smoke is too fast, thanks.

Good point!  Maybe have the factory turn into something more natural when it's destroyed too, or have it covered in vines and flowers or something Tongue

Ooh! Yes, this! Maybe a big ol' tree grows out of the wreckage!

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #808 on: March 31, 2018, 12:01:58 AM »

It would be cool if going back to an area you've already beaten opened up new paths or secrets, as the pollution was replaced by nature.

Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #809 on: April 05, 2018, 11:29:18 AM »

We're into April now, which is Theming Month. It's all about tilesets, backgrounds and foliage / decoration.

Cliff makeover

First up is this cliff level, I liked the orange foreground tiles but hadn't got around to any other aspect of the level.

Before:

After:

The orange cliffs are inspired by the red cliffs of Waimea Canyon which I'd love to visit someday!

My method here was to begin with a screenshot of the game, then build up a rough idea of how I'd like the screen to look in Paint Shop Pro. Below is a timelapse of this work. After this point I move all the assets into the game, make the background sprites loop properly, and then further adjust colours etc.

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #810 on: April 05, 2018, 02:17:05 PM »

Wow, that's quite an upgrade! And it's not like the first version looked bad either...
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #811 on: April 11, 2018, 01:18:04 PM »

Wow, that's quite an upgrade! And it's not like the first version looked bad either...

Thanks! I did really like the bright blue background before, but it was just placeholder and I wanted something less empty-feeling.

Factory Backdrop

I'm back with another new backdrop, this time for the Factory levels which are the boss "castle" levels.

This background didn't even have a placeholder version before, so it's been put together from scratch. I followed the same method of drawing over a screenshot until I got something I was happy with, and then moved it into the game for extra polish. Here's the development timelapse:

And here's the background in-game. The most major changes from the mockup were adjusting the size and spacing of the ceiling lights so that they look like they're lined up in 3D space.

This background has a special feature, lighting effects! I've been planning this little atmospheric moment in the game ever since I got the first batch of music done over 3 years ago, so it's great to finally get it in! The first time entering the factory, it's dark and moody, and the lights turn on in time with the music.

The lighting effect itself is very simple, everything on screen is multiplied by the same colour to make it darker, with the exception of certain sprites (e.g. the windows) which keep their original colour. I wanted to give the impression that it could have been done with palette swapping, I didn't want it to look too flashy.

The music is kinda important for the effect, so here's a quick video of the sequence with audio. Please excuse the placeholder sound effects, especially the huge door opening/closing which sounds rubbish.

Thanks for reading Smiley

JobLeonard
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #812 on: April 11, 2018, 01:57:51 PM »

Very cool! I think it would actually be kind of nice to keep last slightly-shadowy overlay.
Josh Bossie
Level 3

Fly Safe, Pup

View Profile WWW
« Reply #813 on: April 11, 2018, 06:01:08 PM »

You are mimicking all my favorite little details from SMW. I am so ready for this game

Quicksand-T
Level 4

@Quicksand_T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #814 on: April 11, 2018, 06:59:27 PM »

The factory background looks really good in general, but something about the texture of that big door doesn't fit to my eyes.

Louard
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #815 on: April 13, 2018, 06:56:09 AM »

Oh, man! That factory entrance bit! I'm dying!

-Louard
louardongames.blogspot.com
Ishi
Pixelhead
Level 10

coffee&coding

View Profile WWW
« Reply #816 on: April 19, 2018, 01:49:53 PM »

Hi all. More background work this week!

Backdrop Colour tweaks

The clifftop backdrop is another good example of improvements, this one on the left being from way back in 2014:

As much as I really like the new clifftop background, I kinda prefer the old color motif. Could different levels with the same environment have different palettes, maybe?

This comment from last October stuck with me, and I finally got around to addressing it! I made an alternate colour version of this backdrop, to give variety between different levels. Thanks for the inspiration!

I also made the sky orange outside the factory level, to match the colour seen through the windows once inside the factory.

Jungle Revamp

The bulk of my work this week was revamping the jungle's tileset and giving it a bit more life.

(Before... -> ... After)

I made the pattern on the tiles more chunky, and gave the tiles proper edges to add a bit of depth. I added a tileset for bushes. Added a couple of new types of foliage (hibiscus flower and a simple hanging vine).

Finally I animated everything to make it a bit more lively. The foreground bush tiles have a simple three-frame ping pong animation. The animation timing is offset differently for neighbouring tiles so it doesn't look too uniform (they don't all sway back and forth in time with each other).

The bushes in the background is a hand-animated four frame animation, it took a while but I'm quite happy how it turned out.

The tree canopy in the background is animated automatically using the same code as the clouds in the cliff level above which wave up and down. I just gave it different parameters so it's a much more subtle single-pixel wiggle. It looks a bit rough if you examine it too closely, but I think the extra life and movement it introduces is worth it, and I'm not going to animate all those trees by hand, so it's a good compromise. Smiley

coah
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #817 on: April 19, 2018, 03:42:32 PM »

That is just gorgeous.

They are all great improvements, nice work.
MondayHopscotch
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #818 on: April 19, 2018, 07:30:18 PM »

I just signed up to say grats on the game progress so far! This is (almost) exactly what I want out of a dev blog -- and on a style of game I love.

I do wish you'd go a little deeper into the technical weeds (the programmer in me wants to know some stuff Wink ).

The style you've got going is  Hand Thumbs Up Left

What's been your favorite part to work on / or your favorite feature you have so far?
qMopey
Level 6

View Profile WWW
« Reply #819 on: April 19, 2018, 09:49:18 PM »

I’d love to hear more about the tech too Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 67
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic