Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411998 Posts in 69459 Topics- by 58491 Members - Latest Member: Imaynotbehere4long

July 02, 2024, 10:20:51 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingSerious Dave (run'n'gun)
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Serious Dave (run'n'gun)  (Read 1588 times)
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2015, 03:01:10 AM »

Serious Dave is runner with guns, enemies and 3 floors on screen. Pixel-art graphics with oldskool spirit, 6 levels, enemies of 8 type, 2 bosses, weapon shop with 4 guns and 4 upgrades, acheevments etc.

Platformes: Windows, Android, maybe iOS (if we'll find publisher).
API: Action Script
Game type: run'n'gun

GAME. In browser, 19 Mb, only for FGL users.

Controls:

[A]/[W] or [UP]/[DOWN] - jumping
[Z] - shooting (if you have weapon)
[C]/[V] - change weapon
[X] - x-shot (if unlocked)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2015, 05:00:14 AM by 08--n7.r6-79.84 » Logged

MichaelSedore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2015, 06:22:11 AM »

I never play games in my browser, but I liked your screenshot so I gave it a try. Very nice, and well done! I've only played for 10 or 15 minutes so far, and haven't passed level 2 yet, but I did unlock the store. I have over 400 coins but it won't let me buy the shortgun (was that supposed to be "shotgun"?). It says "weapon not unlocked". If there is something I need to do to unlock it, perhaps the game should say so.  Wink

Oh ya, a pause would be nice, and a "restart" option.  Smiley

But already I'm very impressed. Kudos!
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 09:30:41 AM »

Did you see this screen?

I think we need to add the message that appears when then player press shop button, it would solve the problem maybe.

Also, we have a pause button (located in the upper right corner), but apparently it's not so noticeable.

Thank you for feedback!

MichaelSedore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2015, 10:43:47 AM »

Did you see this screen?

I think we need to add the message that appears when then player press shop button, it would solve the problem maybe.

Also, we have a pause button (located in the upper right corner), but apparently it's not so noticeable.

Thank you for feedback!

Oops, you're right, the pause is there. I was looking at the help text written under the game, and not at the screen. My bad.

As for the shop, I did bring him 9 mugs of beer. That's how it opened up in the first place. I wouldn't be in the shop if I didn't do that.

I even clicked the "quests" button, and selected that quest. It says "completed". But the gun still says "weapon not unlocked". Tongue
KM-Games
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 12:31:04 PM »

It worked for me to buy the shotgun.
Nice game. I like it!

But sometime i wish you could jump and not just go up or down the platforms.
MichaelSedore
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 02:23:24 PM »

It worked for me to buy the shotgun.

I went back again, and figured out why I couldn't get the gun. I didn't realize that the "Unlock Price: 400" message was actually a button that you had to click. And it says "Weapon not unlocked" directly under it, so I thought I still had to do something to unlock it.

Anyway, once I figured out it was a button, I clicked it, and presto! I have the gun now.  Smiley
Elwood Sharit
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 03:18:57 PM »

I am a huge fan of Serious Dave as of 10 minutes ago.

Awesome game! Make T-shirts I want one.

Also the sound track! I needs it!
Zaphos
Level 5

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 05:44:51 PM »

Cute game Smiley
Just played through the public demo levels.  Found it enjoyable enough!

Here are some notes I took while playing -- most of it is pretty minor stuff:
Minor issue with initial UX: in the calm few seconds before enemies appear at the start of the game, there are no platforms and there is no visual or audio reaction to pressing the jump keys so it feels broken / feels like I have the wrong keys configured.  Might be better if the initial part of the game had at least one other lane so players could figure out the controls in that time.

I would have liked to be aware that I should be collecting beers to unlock the shop earlier ... I didn't know what beer was for until it randomly said "give 9 beers to the shopkeeper" after the second level.

Grammar mistake: "There is to many enemies" should be "There are too many enemies" (or something; text wasn't on screen very long)

Shotgun doesn't work on the the red-ish mario-esque character (?) and I don't know why?  (Later note: ah, it just takes a lot of shots and doesn't give much feedback)

City has a couple of mildly unfair points:
 - one where a robot drops basically right on your head if you happen to be on the top row
 - another where there is only one row you can be on, and a robot drops down on your head from a higher row before you can get to it; not sure if there's a way to avoid damage from this ...

Is there a level restart button or key?

I didn't notice that I had a machine gun (?) with 6 burst fires in addition to a shotgun until I had been using the shotgun a lot ... not sure when I got that ... I don't remember buying it?  I think all I bought was the shotgun and shotgun upgrade and some extra shotgun bullets.

How to Be a Tree | Voro | Realistic Kissing Simulator | twitter | Programmer at Epic Games
ermrk
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 11:25:39 PM »

Great game, probably first infinite runner witch I enjoyed. I just did not realized, that I must click shop button after I collected beers in the second level. So I repeated it three times although I already had enough beers. Graphic and sound are great.
08--n7.r6-79.84
Level 8

You can call me 08.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 02:48:43 AM »

KM-Games, we had a jump before, but removed it for gamedesign reasones.

I went back again, and figured out why I couldn't get the gun. I didn't realize that the "Unlock Price: 400" message was actually a button that you had to click. And it says "Weapon not unlocked" directly under it, so I thought I still had to do something to unlock it.

We have to change this, I don't know how, but it will be necessary to make it more obvious. And thank you for your comments!  Gentleman

Elwood Sharit, thank you! Okey! c:

Is there a level restart button or key?

Oh, big thanks for the detailed feedback! Not sure whether restart button is necessary, player can launch any open level from level's menu as many times as he wants.

I didn't notice that I had a machine gun (?) with 6 burst fires in addition to a shotgun until I had been using the shotgun a lot ... not sure when I got that ... I don't remember buying it?  I think all I bought was the shotgun and shotgun upgrade and some extra shotgun bullets.

Yes, this upgrade is purchased separately from basic weapon, I think we need to add a description of upgrades and weapons too of course. Thank you again! We have to think about everything you wrote.

ermrk, we will add in-game quest and objectives complete message, hope it will solve this problem.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic