Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411528 Posts in 69377 Topics- by 58433 Members - Latest Member: Bohdan_Zoshchenko

April 28, 2024, 11:08:55 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperPlaytestingClick Copter 2009
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Click Copter 2009  (Read 3924 times)
knpmaster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 10, 2009, 03:18:44 PM »

I have recently finished the updated installment to one of my games.

Click Copter 2009
There is a vast amount of improvements with
this version over the older versions:
-Better Graphics
-More Enemies
-More Weapons
-Better Aiming systems
-Better Controls (new Floaty mode)
-Combo System (for ultimate scoring)
-Choose the color of cc150 (for style points)
-drop rates tweaked and fixed
-higher level bosses tweaked and fixed
-numerous glitches fixed

zip file includes:
ccop_2009.exe (regular fullscreen)
ccop_2009s.exe (stretch fullscreen), also has x2 Windowed Mode

DOWNLOAD: http://www.thegamespage.com/backroom/downloads/ccop_2009.zip
Check your high-scores here: http://www.thegamespage.com/backroom/backroom.php?game=click_copter&s=3

Please have a play and leave some feedback. Thanks.

Simon Andersson
Level 4

I'm not depressed.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2009, 03:59:12 PM »

First impressions:
You should really remove that the movie starts playing while you are selecting optings and entering you name in the begining. Gets really irritating.

Maybe a small detail, but having your lives matching the color of your ship would be nice. (seeming as you already have the graphics, I suppose it wouldn't be that much work).

All in all, looks great. I love the little extra touches, like the smoke that appear when you are close to the ground. Hand Thumbs Up Left
knpmaster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2009, 04:58:50 PM »

First impressions:
You should really remove that the movie starts playing while you are selecting optings and entering you name in the begining. Gets really irritating.

Maybe a small detail, but having your lives matching the color of your ship would be nice. (seeming as you already have the graphics, I suppose it wouldn't be that much work).

Good idea.  I have made the changes and you can re-download.

salade
Level 4

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2009, 07:28:51 PM »

this makes me want to play this when I have time.
Cerogravian
Level 2

Working As Designed

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 06:44:42 PM »

Very neat game, and LIGHTSABERS! Beer!Hand Metal Right
Far too few of them in SSShmups...

I've only tried the Classic controls, but even though I understand what you're going for I felt that the movement controls were a bit too unresponsive and there was a bit too much pinball action on my part Tongue
Adam F.
Level 1

hold your head up high

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 08:48:47 PM »

Yes, a very neat game! Graphics are nifty too. Good stuff!

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2009, 10:28:25 AM »

Please have a play and leave some feedback. Thanks.

This game caught my attention because of the neat graphical style, reminds of Megaman or Kirby or something, difficult to resist its charm!

Then the music and visual presentation of the beginning of the game came, and I think it's great.

What I liked most was the Light Sabre weapon, because it gives a direct response to whether it's a hit on the target or not, while some projectiles were more difficult to aim. Then I lost the Sabre when I got hit, made me sad, just a little Wink

First I got stuck in Level 3, mostly because the bees were difficult in that more open level. Then I replayed and got x2 Barrel and a Droid, very effective, I'd like to point out that it's a good thing the droid looks deemphasized so I never mixed it up with any enemy, cool.

A problem I have with many games, is I'm not fond of clicking fast to shoot fast, it's tiresome, and prefer holding down a button to shoot fast (correct me if that's possible somehow). And it felt a tiny bit unfair to die from one hit when some projectiles are so fast (the skulls seem to have miniguns), though it was nice with the many continues, are they unlimited?

I learnt a trick on the the 4th boss, if I placed my character close to the left on the screen, the boss' droids disappeared when reaching the screen end, that was useful :D
Level 5 is my favorite so far, the water looked beautiful.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2009, 10:33:43 AM by Dim_Yimma_H » Logged

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2009, 10:32:24 AM »

I've only tried the Classic controls, but even though I understand what you're going for I felt that the movement controls were a bit too unresponsive and there was a bit too much pinball action on my part Tongue

I too, agree about that, much of the difficulty seemed to come from the helicopter physics.

I haven't decided yet if it's good or bad though, maybe it's a control feature you can master after more training?

Scattle
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2009, 12:23:45 PM »

Great game! I played this one one a while back, and I made a review for it on my blog!
If you care, check it out! http://mouseno.blogspot.com/2009/02/click-copter.html

ACTION-52-51114E85

Curseman
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2009, 12:25:33 PM »

I thought it was a fun little game.  The player is very dependant on powerup drops though.  I couldn't beat the end boss until I lucked out on the two minibosses right before and had them drop both a shield and the reaper.
KniteBlargh
Level 4

Blargh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2009, 10:35:46 PM »

Seriously, this is one fun little game you've made. The amount of weapon variety really kept the experience fresh.
I agree that the shooting weapons would feel a bit more comfortable if the player could simply hold the mouse button down to shoot continuously, but I think the control for the light saber should stay the same.

Really enjoying this game; keep it up!

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2009, 10:08:57 AM »

I've been playing some more and I adore the style of the game, especially the visual style.
Light Saber + Droid = Difficult + Awesome.
Power Laser = Handsome.

I'm curious about the style of the player character though, why does it look so simple and playful, while most enemies are pretty detailed? (Hmm, maybe it makes sense, about separating friend from foe and that.)

I got a score of 583, that seems pretty average. But it's fun, I'm definitely going to keep the game on the disk, to play from time to time.

knpmaster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2009, 04:23:59 PM »

Thank you for your kind comments and criticism.

The idea of Click Copter came from the well known tunnel copter game (with the nasty green walls) where you hold the mouse to ascend and release to descend.  I thought it would be fun to add guns and enemies to the mix.  So yes, some of the difficulty is trying to control your amazingly weak and susceptible to damage hero copter.  I was nice enough to give you shields with a high drop rate.  Wink

The cute and innocent looking CC-150 was somewhat by accident, but I liked how it turned out after I had it flying around the screen.

I try to stress game-play and re-playability when developing games, and Click Copter is no exception.  The game is somewhat rogue-like / Diablo2-like in the sense that the levels are randomly generated (from a set of level palettes) and weapons are dropped pseudo-randomly (based on drop rates).  These elements keep the game quite fresh as you obtain new weapon combinations and enemy layouts each time you play.

The graphical style is indeed NES-like blended with 16-bit goodness.

There are currently 20+ weapons in the game.  I will leave it to you to disclose all the weapons to each other.  Certain weapons are more efficient fighting specific bosses, somewhat like Mega Man.  When you get a DROID power-up, the droid takes your current weapon.  You can then switch your main weapon while keeping the droid weapon the same.  Getting a sweet combination of weapons is essential to survival.  Weapons also offer both offense and defensive properties.  These are just some helpful hints for the players; I won't give away too many specific details for those of you who want to figure it out for yourself.

For those of your complaining about having to click the mouse repeatedly, you probably complain about repeatedly pressing the B button on an NES controller to have Mega Man fire.  Thus you would use a turbo controller to alleviate this constant button mashing.  I think there are similar methods to auto-fire a mouse click, so go use them.

Thanks for playing!  Keep those comments rolling.  I enjoy hearing your thoughts.  Smiley Hand Thumbs Up Right

P.S. Continues are indeed infinite.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 04:27:50 PM by knpmaster » Logged

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2009, 08:23:20 AM »

Very nice!  This is one of the most original SHMUP's I have played in awhile.  I like the great variety of weapons (the lightsaber owns), and the simple addition of gravity adds a whole new element to the genre.

The game lags a bit when the music changes or repeats, but I don't know if there is anything that can be done about it (especially if it is MIDI, which it sounds like - correct me if I'm wrong Smiley).

How exactly does the health/lives system work?  Without a shield, is it one-hit-you're-dead, or could you be hit a couple of times (it seemed that way).  Maybe a health bar would be in order?

Nice game!

knpmaster
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 10:52:21 AM »

The health system works somewhat like Super Mario Bros.

If you have no shield and the basic gun, it's one hit and your dead.  However, you can only take damage from a wall if you fly into it with high velocity.  If you hit a wall lightly, you will simply bounce off and be unable to fire your weapon for one second.

At full power (with a weapon and a shield), you have three hits.  The shield always comes off first when you take damage. The second time you take damage you lose your weapon and go back to the basic gun.  If you take damage when you only have the basic weapon, your dead.

This means that its quite important to kill enemies to allow them to drop a weapon or a shield for protection.  You can keep taking damage while grabbing a new shield and stay alive throughout the entire level.  You should still try to dodge as best you can, since shields become bonuses with a base point value of +10.  Therefore, less damage = higher scores.

ThetaGames
Level 5

Informatikmeister

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 01:39:19 PM »

That's interesting that holding a weapon adds to your health.  Though that element makes it seem illogical, in general the health system is somewhat intuitive - you kind of "know" when you are almost going to die.  The system appears to be very well-thought-out.

Dim_Yimma_H
Level 1

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2009, 08:20:25 AM »

That's interesting that holding a weapon adds to your health. Though that element makes it seem illogical, in general the health system is somewhat intuitive - you kind of "know" when you are almost going to die.

I think it makes sense that the weapon works like a shield, as the more parts a machine is built of, the more parts must be destroyed, before reaching and destroying the core of that machine.

It's just that opposed to shoot'em ups like this, recent "first person" shooters separate weapons from health, which reflects the way humans work (damage to a human body part affects the whole body).

Camdag
Pixelhead
Level 1

sauce

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2009, 09:56:45 AM »

Oh man, this game could really be a gem! There are so many good things about the gameplay(I'm addicted!), but I'll focus on the problems-

-The little stop before the bossfight is sort of annoying- I don't know if it's on purpose or a bug, but it has a way of killing the atmosphere.

-The dithering on the tiles seems a bit sloppy, and there's no real variation in each level's tiles. Try some diagonal tiles, thin "pillar" tiles, triangles, etc!

-The gradient background looks unprofessional, along with the anti-aliased lettering here and there. Go for a consistantly anti-aliased style! Embrace it!

- Boss fights seem to ramp up in difficulty drastically, starting with the spinning armored fellow. Might want to make him easier, or make the preceding bosses harder!

Great work so far!

Mostly, the visuals could use some tweaking.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic