Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 26, 2024, 11:41:35 PM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)Developing a point & click adventure in Flash
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Developing a point & click adventure in Flash  (Read 1412 times)
patrickjcollins
Level 0

View Profile WWW
« on: February 11, 2009, 07:05:19 AM »

Alright you lot,

I'm new here, I just posted on the The Obligatory Introduce Yourself Thread here : http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45.msg151324#msg151324.

After slaving in the software engineering trenches for the past 8 years, I have decided that I want to develop a point-and-click adventure game, and I'm thinking about doing it in Adobe Flash.  Now, as it happens I have no absolutely no experience in Flash, but I have chosen this particular technology nonetheless because it will enable the game to be platform-independant and playable online (read: from work) which seems appropriate for the type of game that I would like to create.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree here?  Am I going to tear my hair out in clumps with frustration at the limitations in its silly object model?  Or will it be as slick as a 50's hairstyle?  Advice, I seriously need advice.  I'll be developing the game on my iBook (OS X 10.4), so what software should I be using?  To be frank, Adobe Flash CS4 is awfully expensive for an independant game developer and it is as slow as a fat cow on my aging computer, so perhaps something a bit leaner, lighter, would do the trick?  Assuming I continue in Flash, where could I find some useful tutorials to help me get started?  I've yet to find something online which is a pure introduction focused on making a game in Flash.

As the game is set in Paris, I would like to add thematic music to certain interior scenes such as bars and cafés.  I am looking for a particular style of music, chanson française / accordion from the 50's in the vein of Edith Piaf, without lyrics.  I wouldn't mind to pay a small sum for the music if needs be.   Any idea how I could get this?  Also, I need to obtain a large number of sound effects, such as a coffee machine, a stirring teaspoon, footsteps, doors opening and closing, background conversation, etcetera, etcetera.  I know that the subject of sound effects is wide and I have a lot to learn, but perhaps I could obtain a simple copyright-free disk with a variety of common sounds?

I've thrown a bunch of questions in here, if it would be appropriate to break these apart and repost in the different forums please let me know.

Thanks,

Patrick
Matt Thorson
Level 7

c'est la vie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2009, 09:42:04 AM »

If you know Java, Flash's ActionScript3 will be a breeze.  I would argue that Flash is the perfect platform for what it sounds like you're attempting to make.

As for tutorials or getting started etc.: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=4359.0

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2009, 10:05:55 AM »

So, am I barking up the wrong tree here?

Not at all. Your plan is a good one. Flash is well suited to your purposes and Actionscript 3 is a perfectly good modern language.

You will likely want to use something like Flash/Flex, but since I'm a CS3 user myself I'll leave it to people who actually use Flex to advise you on that.

Good luck with the game. I look forward to hearing more about it as you progress and eventually getting to play it! Beer!

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic