Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Advanced search

1411512 Posts in 69376 Topics- by 58430 Members - Latest Member: Jesse Webb

April 27, 2024, 02:40:53 AM

Need hosting? Check out Digital Ocean
(more details in this thread)
TIGSource ForumsDeveloperTechnical (Moderator: ThemsAllTook)AS3 for Games
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: AS3 for Games  (Read 2120 times)
Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2009, 04:02:34 PM »

So, hello peoples. I would like to shamelessly hint into the direction of my freshly opened website ActionScript 3 for Games.

The site is about learning AS3 and for this it (is supposed to) host a number of tutorials and resources on that regard. Right now it has a pretty limited selection, but I'm steadily expanding it. To that, everybody who registers can submit new Tutorials, Resources or Books.

To explain a bit, Resources are stuff like classes, engines, frameworks, apis, etc. which I found were often hard to come by and look for. I've made quite an extensive excel sheet with resource a while ago and intend to add all (gaming-related) resources in there to the site.

Books are basically just an archive of books dedicated to AS3. Of course, no illegal scans or the like. They usually link to Amazon.com or some other site. If the book exist in a legally distributable digital format, though, people can upload it. The option is there.

The meat of the site lies in the Tutorials of course, which can be either hosted directly on the site, or as short summary with the link to the actual tutorial off-site.

The reasons behind this are that I often found it very hard to come buy tutorials that actually thought what you wanted to know. The information on AS3 game development is often very scattered and/or very specific, which makes it all the harder. Heck, in the course of putting this site up I found two new sites that hosted tutorials I've never heard about before.

As I put this site up just a few days ago, it's still a bit desolate of content. I've been contacting a few authors of tutorials, including Jeff Fulton from 8bitrocket and Emanuele Feronato, whether they'd be willing to submit some of their tutorials to the site, but most, if at all, have been replying that they'd rather see their tutorials linked to (which is totally understandable). One guy though, Kenny Sun from Mr Sun Studios, agreed to let me put up Part 1 of his tutorials and link to the other parts. His tutorials currently make up the majority of the content.

In the end, I hope to make the site the one place to go for getting info about making games in AS3 although it is still a long way till there.

Right now the site is still a bit of a prototype, but I hope to steadily increase it through user-feedback.
isaac
Level 2

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2009, 04:50:16 PM »

Looks cool, and will hopefully turn into a good resource! I may make an account & add some content.

I feel like there needs to be a categorization system for tutorials... as soon as the list grows to any size it's gonna get unwieldy to browse.

coderneedsfood
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 05:23:47 PM »

looks handy , i'm toying with www.haxe.org again , so this might be useful
though looking at the vertical shooter example the tutorials could use a spruce Smiley

bateleur
Level 10

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 01:45:06 AM »

This site seems like a very good idea. I hope to be able to contribute at some future point.  Beer!

dbest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 02:14:32 AM »

Hey I like the idea of your site. I went in expecting tutorials to be non-Flash based but rather using FlashDevelop. Not that its difficult to adapt them to FlashDevelop.

Good work.

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 03:41:39 AM »

You mean use an another Compiler then Flash for building the SWF?!
Because FlashDevelop is just the Editor, I mean, I compile with Flash but use FlashDevelop for coding too. So I'am just a bit confused with your post  Roll Eyes

Nice Website Project btw. Smiley

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 04:34:48 AM »

Yes, some people do use another compiler, called Flex.

dbest
Level 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 08:05:26 AM »

Yups, I use the free Flex compiler to compile my code.

There is a post on the forum here on how to setup FlashDevelop with Flex.

Also this is a good link on how you can use FlashDevelop with different compilers:

http://www.flashdevelop.org/wikidocs/index.php?title=AS3

X-Tender
Level 1

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2009, 08:43:26 AM »

I prefer the Flash API. Give me a better Control of my Resources. And easier to create Animations in my opinion.

Hideous
That's cool.
Level 10

3D models are the best

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2009, 08:49:51 AM »

That's not opinion, that's fact. It's much harder/annoying to create animations with Flex.

Don Andy
Level 10

Andreas Kämper, Dandy, Tophat Andy

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »

Actually, if you prefer Flex over Flash (or the other way around), you can filter the Tutorials by clicking "Tutorials" and then "List". There you can filter by tags.

All of the current Tutorials are based on Flash though, so there is no "Flex" tag yet.

I didn't really intend to differentiate on FlashDevelop or Flash IDE, since FlashDevelop is essentially just a code editor. If anything, one tutorial on how to set up FlashDevelop to work with either Flex or Flash should be enough.

Maybe I should put up a "request" system. Where people can put up requests for tutorials and potential authors could then pick out a topic.

I'm also going to add a few more tutorials the coming days (been a bit busy with real life things on the weekend) but most of these are going to be off-site (meaning a summary linking to the real tutorial). Most authors just don't want to have it any different Concerned
No tutorials are going to be hosted directly on my site 1:1 unless the author himself does it (or approves of it), since I don't really condone stealing. Maybe not even stealing the tutorial, since I'd credit that, but their traffic, which they sort of live from.
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Theme orange-lt created by panic